Talk

Advanced search

Covid testing for young children

(2 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Sat 01-Aug-20 11:48:01

Around a month ago DD had a temperature so I took her to our local testing centre where I was instructed to swab her tonsils and nostril.

Quite frankly this was almost impossible to do with DD(3) as her reflex was to close her mouth and push me away while I was trying to swab her throat.

I have since read two things:

a) many test centres say to only do the nose swab and not the throat swab for small children

b) there are test centres where a health care professional will do the test for you

How can I find a test centre where they will accept just a nasal swab for a child and/or where a HCP will administer the test?

DD has a mildly raised temperature again and I just want to make sure that if I take her for a test that it has the best possible chance of being a valid swab.

OP’s posts: |
goingonahairbunt Mon 03-Aug-20 18:41:44

You can't unfortunately - I took 3 yo DD today and couldn't get the test done and they advised that any test for under 11's must be administered by parents and cannot be assisted. It's an absolute nightmare and our nursery provider has advised that in the absence of a negative test she'll be treated as a positive case and the setting will likely have to close for mass isolation unless we can force her to take a test. I don't see how we can continue to go on like this til a vaccine is found. Most kids are permanently hot and runny nosed through winter so how is that going to work?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in