Talk

Advanced search

"In contact with"

(8 Posts)
tinkywinkyshandbag Wed 01-Jul-20 08:54:56

What does "close contact" mean in the context of Coronavirus please? Someone I was in a room with last week at work has tested positive for coronavirus, they had no symptoms and only tested positive at a routine test before a minor operation. Their wife and other people they work closely with all tested negative. I was working alongside this person at a clients house for short periods last week, we were in the same room, I had a mask on, the windows were open and we were both in and out of the room during that time. We did socially distance, but it's likely that we came within less than 2 m of each other briefly.

Do I now need to self isolate for 14 days? I was working with this person last Wednesday but only found out yesterday about the test so in the meantime I've been to the supermarket, other shops, and been with my family.

Any thoughts? I'm self employed so 14 days at home after I've just started working again is a real pain.

OP’s posts: |
LouiseTrees Wed 01-Jul-20 09:00:17

Would you have been with them or 15 minutes combined? Could you not just get a test?

tinkywinkyshandbag Wed 01-Jul-20 09:28:45

Yes I could have been. I think they're only offering tests if you have symptoms which I don't.

SophieB100 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:32:21

The advice is that 'close contact' is within a metre for 15 minutes.

lightandshade Wed 01-Jul-20 09:35:35

Gives a lot of faith in the track and trace system that OP has to ask on Mumsnet rather than being contacted by a track and tracer,

If you was within 1 meter for more than 15 mins then yes you need to self isolate and I would try to request a test

TerrapinStation Wed 01-Jul-20 09:40:24

lightandshade

Gives a lot of faith in the track and trace system that OP has to ask on Mumsnet rather than being contacted by a track and tracer,

If you was within 1 meter for more than 15 mins then yes you need to self isolate and I would try to request a test

From the description the OP gives she wasn't in close contact with the person, track and trace isn't run by psychics, if her name wasn't reported then they won't contact her.

Personally I'd be extra sure to keep social distance and be vigilant for symptoms but would assume it's very unlikely that I'd caught it

U8myufo Wed 01-Jul-20 09:45:07

According to the Gov guidance for employers this is what is defined as a contact.
Someone within 1 metre of them with whom they have had face to face conversation, had skin to skin physical contact, have coughed on (!), Or been in other forms of contact within 1 metre or 1 minute or longer
Someone within 2 metres of them for more than 15 mins
Someone they have travelled in a vehicle with - or has been seated near them on public transport

This is according to the guidelines published on the .gov under test, trace, protect guidance for employers.

tinkywinkyshandbag Wed 01-Jul-20 17:52:57

It's a tricky one as we weren't continuously in the same room, we were both working on separate things and in and out, but we were in the same room at the same time for at least some of the day. We did have a conversation but not at close quarters. I have no symptoms and it's been 7 days now. What I've done is given other clients that I'm due to be with over the next week the choice of whether they want me to come or not. One client has postponed, another is happy if we both wear masks. I don't have any social engagements, and don't need to go out, so I think that's fair to everybody and the best I can do for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »