Talk

Advanced search

UK camping holiday

(26 Posts)
16943389ao Tue 30-Jun-20 11:29:36

We’ve got two young children and have followed all the rules so far. We’ve had online deliveries and only seen my parents at a distance. I’ve not been in a shop since March and find the whole situation really stressful. I’m trying to decide whether to book a camping holiday in the UK. We have a caravan with our own facilities and would just do very low key stuff. I’m thinking a change would be lovely but trying to figure out how busy it’ll be, how easy / difficult social distancing will be and how much risk is involved. I keep thinking it would be amazing to have a change but then go back to worrying about the risk and thinking we should just wait until next year. I’m so fed up of being at home now but don’t want a holiday to be stressful. What do you think?

Hugglespuffed Tue 30-Jun-20 11:45:55

If you haven't been out and about much yet then I'm afraid you will be surprised how little people are sticking to social distancing. Tourist areas will be busy and I imagine campsites will be packed up. But if you are prepared for that and have your own facilities then I would. Maybe take along your own food and find somewhere with big spaces to explore.

JimMaxwellantheshippingforcast Tue 30-Jun-20 11:54:16

The campsite we use frequently is opening with a 75% capacity. It may be worth finding a site you like the look of and phoning to find out what measures they are putting in place.

16943389ao Tue 30-Jun-20 17:10:54

Thank you. Yes that’s my worry re the social distancing vert prepared to just head to wide open spaces and places we think will be quiet and looking at an area I’ve been to for holidays since I was little which would make it easier. Called a few sites today but struggling to find anywhere smaller with space and keen to go sooner rather than later when everywhere has only been open for a short time.

whydoesitalwaysrainonme82 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:14:40

This is just my opinion but campsites are the last place I'd go at the moment and we love camping. Too many shared facilities and people just wont be socially distancing

FallingIguanas Tue 30-Jun-20 17:20:46

OP you might find this link helpful:

https://coolcamping.com/news/304-what-are-the-new-coronavirus-guidelines-for-campsites-and-what-do-they-mean-for-campers?fbclid=IwAR1E7VAhNqZ--_

Having a caravan with facilities will be a huge advantage and you can always come home if it's too much.

We're not self contained and don't imagine I'll feel comfortable anytime soon using shared facilities.

Thewheelsonthebus23 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:35:14

We have a self catering cottage booked for end of July.

simonisnotme Tue 30-Jun-20 17:49:59

we are having an overnight camping in Devon on the 11th. I rang them and they said they are pretty much full. its a quiet site, only a playground and loos/showers. be good to see how they are organizing things

MrsWombat Tue 30-Jun-20 18:31:07

We are looking at camping as I think it's the best option of going anywhere this year for us and we are happy to use the site's toilets and showers. (It won't be any different to using a toilet at a national trust property or supermarket) If you have your own toilet and shower then even better. I've joined the camping and caravan club and we'll be using their sites as I suspect things will be better organised than our usual festival style free for all site even with fewer people and more facilities.

JimMaxwellantheshippingforcast Tue 30-Jun-20 18:37:46

A lot of campsites round here are hiring extra toilet and shower blocks

Florencemattell Tue 30-Jun-20 21:40:19

We have booked our caravan to a site near family. Been there lots of times.
We will mainly use our own toilet.
But use camp showers once a day.
Will take dettol wipes to clean shower controls etc
But site are doing extra cleaning.
Previous times I'm usually only person in shower block , so not worried. Its adults only field.
We will mainly stay on site a d visit family

ifonly4 Tue 30-Jun-20 21:56:10

We've made the decision to go on our camping trip, booked late last year. Both my jobs now involve regular cleaning, so it'll be easy and second nature to take my dettol spray/disinfectant with cleaning cloth with me to showers. Luckily they are accessed from outside, not in the toilets. Look for a campsite which is clearly stating they're taking covid precautions. That way you know extra cleaning is taking place, also some are taking less bookings.

Beatrixpotterspencil Tue 30-Jun-20 22:03:05

I’m in a rural hotspot and am going to stay with DP for next few weeks.
I anticipate stress getting a bottle of milk and stuff.
I like the visitors generally but am cautious about the expected onslaught!

I’m lucky to have options I suppose.

That said, I’d love to go camping ❤️
It will be different, people aren’t distancing as a pp said.
It depends how to negotiate it.
I don’t have children so I’d do it.

HairyToity Tue 30-Jun-20 22:03:18

We've been cautious but still booked a self catering holiday. I needed something to look forward to. I'd suggest looking at somewhere less obvious, and off the beaten track.

Beatrixpotterspencil Tue 30-Jun-20 22:04:24

Seriously it comes down to milk drinkers.

People say we are taking own food, etc, but you cannot avoid nipping to local stores. Try it....

shinynewapple2020 Tue 30-Jun-20 22:05:39

Sorry I don't quite understand what you are asking, are you saying that you own a caravan and are not sure if you should be taking it to a campsite? I think I'm confused because you mention camping but then mention a caravan.

If it's a caravan you have then you should be fine, if it's a hired van give it a good clean when you get there and then you are mainly in your own accommodation rather than using mixes shower blocks, kitchens etc

However, if you have hardly left the house since March then I think getting out and about on holiday may come as a big shock to you.

You certainly should be absolutely fine to stay in a caravan but I'd recommend that you get a bit more used to going out and about before then, visit the park, a few shops etc so you are more used to being around others.

Beatrixpotterspencil Tue 30-Jun-20 22:05:54

A lady on here yesterday said her holiday cottages had had over 400 calls for bookings in one day.
There is no official the beaten track’ in a country this size when every fucking body is doing a staycation.

That said I’d still go camping 😁

HairyToity Tue 30-Jun-20 22:06:06

www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2020/jun/30/lockdown-easing-why-the-uk-is-better-prepared-for-a-second-wave

This podcast basically says chances of catching it outside are very slim.

Beatrixpotterspencil Tue 30-Jun-20 22:06:18

off the beaten track.

blue25 Tue 30-Jun-20 22:07:26

I really wouldn’t want to be sharing toilet/shower facilities with others at the moment. I’d be happier with a caravan or cottage.

katienana Tue 30-Jun-20 22:07:38

If I was so anxious I couldn't go in a shop then no I wouldn't go on a camping holiday. Maybe start getting out a bit more first and see how you feel.

TomorrowAlways Tue 30-Jun-20 22:48:31

OP weve done exactly the same as you in terms of following all the rules, weve booked a camping trip, we need some fun and change of scene now.
Go and have a brilliant time, take lots of pics and remember this scary time as the opportunity to enjoy family time to the max.
I would recommend camping in a small site with a lot of space for peace of mind xx

16943389ao Wed 01-Jul-20 00:22:00

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry I wasn’t very clear. We have our own caravan with its own shower and toilet so no need to use shared facilities. I’ve managed to find a fairly small well organised campsite that we’ve been to before and has very clear Covid guidelines including contactless check in etc. They only have space for us for four nights so I think we are going to go for it. Planning to do our usual online shop before we go thanks for the reminder about taking lots of milk @Beatrixpotterspencil and plan to have a very chilled few days away from the villages and main tourist hot spots. It’s in an area I know really well so feel like I have an idea of where the quiet off the more beaten track places are with lots of space. I feel like a change of scenery will do us all good and having weighed it up I can’t imagine the risk will be any higher than if we all spent the week at home with little trips out. Hopefully the pitch will still be free when I call in the morning.

FrugiFan Wed 01-Jul-20 10:29:40

Have a great holiday OP! I personally think a campsite would actually be a very easy place to socially distance - most I have been too enforce at least 6m between pitches and they have increased that even further at the moment. Obviously there are pinch points at the toilet blocks but these are likely to be cleaned more often than public loos and everyone is keen for those to open. And if you have your own loo on board there's no reason why you'd get close to another person.

FrugiFan Wed 01-Jul-20 10:30:33

blue25

I really wouldn’t want to be sharing toilet/shower facilities with others at the moment. I’d be happier with a caravan or cottage.

OP states very clearly that she has a caravan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »