Talk

Advanced search

Would you return to teaching in a pandemic?

(12 Posts)
Eachpeachporch Tue 30-Jun-20 10:34:46

After five years of being away I've been offered a job teaching A-Level part time starting in September. I am feeling very anxious about it the more I think about it though. The grandparents will be doing childcare so obviously I'm worried about passing it on if I catch Covid at school. The trouble is it is very late in the year for them to find someone else and I think I was the only candidate they interviewed. I don't want to leave the students in the lurch without a teacher. I haven't signed a contract yet (agreed to it over the phone but not in writing). I wish I had never applied! Long term I'd love to get back into the classroom and jobs in my subject as few and far between, so I applied thinking that it was a good opportunity even if the timing wasn't ideal. I can't seem to shed this feeling of dread though and like I just don't want to take the risk right now. Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
ohthegoats Tue 30-Jun-20 10:40:22

No.

Not because of the illness itself. But because of the shit that school logicistics, catchup expectations and so on are going to be in the 2020-2021 academic year. Going to be a ballsup. Don't know why you'd put yourself back into that to be honest.

Better to be supply if you can afford it. Do bits here and there and not have to be accountable for this 'great catch up' nightmare.

Eachpeachporch Tue 30-Jun-20 10:46:44

There is definitely that playing to my consideration too. The Year 13s in September will have had three teachers in a year and almost zero teaching during lockdown (only one student has given something in to be marked apparently). I've been told no textbooks in September as they are unhygienic. The students are unlikely to be able to afford them themselves. Many don't have broadband or access to a device at home. How on earth am I going to be able to catch them up? But on the other hand, if they are without a teacher in the coming year, they really will be screwed. The guilt!

Eachpeachporch Tue 30-Jun-20 10:48:25

Edit to add the grandparents are in their late 60s. One out of the three is not in good shape (overweight, on blood thinners, was a smoker until recently).

BrutusMcDogface Tue 30-Jun-20 10:50:04

I would and am! Primary though, if that makes a difference.

MoreW1ne Tue 30-Jun-20 11:08:43

Guilt? Why would you feel guilty? Have you caused this situation? Did you release covid to the world? Did you prevent these children from learning? Is it your fault they have no broadband? Did you make the cuts to education? .....

If you enjoyed teaching when you left and think you would enjoy it coming back (which you seem to be) then absolutely return and join us. I love my job and am looking forward to the 'more normal' return in September. But please don't feel any guilt. The education policy of the last 10 years has relied on the goodwill and guilt of teachers....look where that has landed us now. Underfunded, underappreciated and children being let down due to poor government decisions.

If anything you should feel guilty for your guilt! grin

Seriously though, I would perhaps consider supply if you wanted to return. Unless you've kept really upto date diving straight back in after 5 years out will be really hard. Not that supply is easy, but you can still contribute and make a difference doing supply (they'll be tons needed) if that's what you want and you'll have flexibility. I can't speak for your subject without knowing, but I also think there will be plenty of opportunities down the line to get back in. However, I teach a shortage subject so that's always the case for me so I could be wrong.

mindutopia Tue 30-Jun-20 15:23:49

Well, do you want to go back to teaching? There are lots of people out there working and who have been all the way through this. My colleagues have been in the office nearly every day (key workers in clinical research). I'm working from home because I have absolutely no reason to be face to face with anyone and I also have a long commute on public transport.

But certainly plenty of us will be returning to face to face teaching in the autumn. It will be small groups, but I teach adults, so certainly more risk to me personally. I wouldn't make a decision based on risk or on guilt, but on whether you actually want to return to teaching and particularly given the challenges in terms of catching students up.

IcedPurple Tue 30-Jun-20 15:42:08

I'm a university tutor, not a school teacher, but I would go back to work tomorrow if I could. I loathe 'interacting' with my students via Teams, and most of them feel exactly the same way too.

SophieB100 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:44:44

What has changed since you applied for the post and now OP?

If you had concerns before, why did you apply?

You don't have to feel guilty, or pressured into taking the job. Just let the school know asap if you do not wish to return, and forget all about it.

DomDoesWotHeWants Tue 30-Jun-20 15:46:04

I've been asked and have declined.

Lack of respect for teachers from just about everybody and complete disregard for their safety.

I don't need the money but would probably have considered it were it not for the shitty attitudes from some parents and most politicians.

Fedup21 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:47:35

I would leave if I could. I know that’s not what you asked!

CarrieBlue Tue 30-Jun-20 17:24:53

It will be small groups, but I teach adults, so certainly more risk to me personally

Are they adults who can’t socially distance from you? Or are they adults who cough in your face for fun? Just wondering why they are greater risk to you personally

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »