ClownPants Tue 30-Jun-20 10:30:02

good God, no, we cannot take another one! shock

crosseyedMary Tue 30-Jun-20 11:50:05

Come one come all 😳

AKissAndASmile Tue 30-Jun-20 11:51:27

'2020- The Season Finale' hmm
Fuck this shit

BabyLlamaZen Tue 30-Jun-20 15:03:06

I dont know what to think. Except maybe China well everyone should stop eating meat for a bit?

I'm more concerned that it's from China, as they have such an awful rep for covering these things up.

OP’s posts: |
jerometheturnipking Tue 30-Jun-20 15:04:11

Well at least with this one it’s an actual flu which should mean that vaccinating wouldn’t be as hard a task.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 30-Jun-20 15:06:17

I'm more concerned that it's from China, as they have such an awful rep for covering these things up
That wouldn’t seem to be the case here though.

Desiringonlychild Tue 30-Jun-20 15:10:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Jun-20 15:17:15

Fuck this shit

Yep, had enough of this utter bollocks now - 2020 can fuck right off

We do need to stop farming animals intensely - keeping them in cramped conditions to eat cheap meat

We are disgusting as a species. There's no need to eat cheap meat. Good enough diet without it.

BabyLlamaZen Tue 30-Jun-20 15:32:53

I know, @Desiringonlychild and I get that it's very easy to say that. The poverty in China is horrific. sad It's awful they have such little choice.

BabyLlamaZen Tue 30-Jun-20 15:33:25

@ClaudiaWankleman if that's the whole story.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 30-Jun-20 15:35:46

I don't think people realise that there are people whose job it is to monitor all this ALL THE TIME. There are potential issues constantly. And super volcanoes, and near earth objects, and diseases, and climate issues, and bees dying off and on and on.

And yet you'll probably die of either cancer or heart disease. Which you will ignore the risk of.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:38:20

Another pandemic is all we fucking need. I keep wishing for 2020 to be over already, but honestly, I'm not that hopeful about 2021 anymore.

IcedPurple Tue 30-Jun-20 15:44:13

Doesn't any virus which can easily be transmitted from human to human have 'pandemic potential'? There must be thousands of them out there. I doubt this is an unusual occurence, but in normal times it probably wouldn't make the news.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 30-Jun-20 15:50:58

if that's the whole story

What details do you think imagine they have covered up @BabyLlamaZen ?

ThisShitDontMatter Tue 30-Jun-20 15:51:19

They are taking the fucking piss now

Nousernameforme Tue 30-Jun-20 16:10:57

Meh we are already social distancing for corona so in theory this one shouldnt have chance to get going before it dies out

zippityzip Tue 30-Jun-20 16:13:31

@ThisShitDontMatter My thoughts exactly!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 30-Jun-20 16:19:52

ThisShitDontMatter

They are taking the fucking piss now

This is hilarious. 'They' who? The Flu Development Team at the CCP? Every person in China? Every poor person in the world who eats cheap meat? Do we also blame the Congolese for Ebola, the Saudis for MERS, Asians for the Black Death?

The country with the largest population will develop the most diseases. Statistics, innit?

PowerslidePanda Tue 30-Jun-20 16:24:20

Did many PP on this thread actually bother to read the article? confused

They found evidence of recent infection in people who worked in abattoirs and the swine industry in China when they looked at data from 2011 to 2018.

This isn't new. It's been around at least 2 years already, maybe as many as 9. People have already been infected by it, yet there are no reports of death or serious illness as a result. Alright, it could mutate in future - so could any other disease. Nothing about this story is "news".

FizzFan Tue 30-Jun-20 16:48:41

I think it’s good to be aware of it so we can prepare and even if it comes to something it won’t get out of hand.

Bol87 Tue 30-Jun-20 16:50:07

Yes, scare mongering at its best by the BBC here. There are lots of ‘potentially pandemic’ viruses out there in animals. They just don’t usually get reported on. But pandemics are hot news right now. If this one did come to anything, it’ll just be a new strain of Swine Flu that needs adding to the yearly flu vaccine!

IcedPurple Tue 30-Jun-20 16:57:00

The country with the largest population will develop the most diseases. Statistics, innit?

No, that's complete nonsense.

Viruses don't jump to humans because of the number of people resident in a certain country. They do so due to a number of factors, among them density of population, animals and humans living closely together, disruption to the natural habitat, eating habits and much else. So no, it's not 'statistics'.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 30-Jun-20 17:11:49

But @IcedPurple China is an incredibly diverse country in all the ways you describe.

3 diseases emerging amongst about 1/5 of the world’s population isn’t particularly notable, especially when you consider Mad Cow Disease emerging in the UK, which is less than 1% of the world’s population.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 30-Jun-20 17:23:18

IcedPurple

*The country with the largest population will develop the most diseases. Statistics, innit?*

No, that's complete nonsense.

Viruses don't jump to humans because of the number of people resident in a certain country. They do so due to a number of factors, among them density of population, animals and humans living closely together, disruption to the natural habitat, eating habits and much else. So no, it's not 'statistics'.

People live in similar ways in central and South America, Africa, the rest of Asia. The sheer size of China's population means there will be more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »