Talk

Advanced search

Teachers of Year 3/4 - What would you want me to do?

(5 Posts)
itswhereitsat Sun 28-Jun-20 14:42:46

We are a UK family overseas, we were supposed to be returning to the Uk in June and my son starting school in the UK. The schools shut here in March, he won't be returning and we are now potentially here until November until we can get a flight out that doesn't involve multiple stops and greater risk. So basically I am homeschooling him at the moment, with no help from the school as he has officially left. I will be in charge of his schooling until we get to the UK later on in the year.
If my son turned up in your class at the end of the calendar year, what things would you like me to have focused on? Punctuation? Spelling? Quick recall of Timestables? Know all his statutory spellings?
How much time should I spend on History, Geography and Science? I presume that these are taught as topics in the UK?

He's Year 3 but will be starting Year 4 in the UK. Where we are now, they start school a year later so he'd be going into Year 3 in September.

OP’s posts: |
PMTRex Sun 28-Jun-20 14:45:01

My DS in year 3 is being asked by his school to do the daily lessons on BBC bitesize (there's 3 per day - maths, English and something else like science or geography).

So maybe do those?

Cloudburstagain Sun 28-Jun-20 14:47:23

Do you have a school space for your return? If so their school website might share some curriculum content so you know what they cover.
Also there are a variety of published workbooks by a range of companies - eg Letts, Scholastic, CGP and others for Maths, Writing/Literacy/Grammar etc that cover key elements of curriculum that might be of use to you?

In year 4 there is a National times tables test, so knowing all times tables is useful. 3/4/8 are usually taught in year 3.

ohthegoats Sun 28-Jun-20 15:04:57

Teach him his 2, 5, 10, 3, 4 and 8 times tables - multiplication and division facts, quick recall.

Make sure he can partition 3 digit numbers into hundreds, tens and ones. Ideally he can then use this knowledge to calculate using written methods.

Understands number bonds to 10, and how they relate to power of 10 - ie, 7 + 3 = 10, but also 70 + 30 = 10. Number bonds to 20 and within 20. No using his fingers.

If you want a book to work through then we use this one, but who knows what's best really - get text book and work book to go with it.

www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/Mathematics/AllMathematicsresources/Power-Maths/ISBN/year-3/PowerMathsYear3Textbook3A.aspx

Personally I'd then buy the CGP SPAG for Year 3 book, then use BBC bitesize (not lessons, just the normal bitesize) to explan how to use certain bits of it.

www.cgpbooks.co.uk/primary-books/ks2/english/sp-g/e3w22-ks2-english-targeted-question-book-gramma

Obviously there are other workbooks and things available, but without knowing what the school he's going to will be doing with curriculum, it's hard to say. Being solid on the things in those 2 books will be good enough.

Other than that, read daily. Find a year 3 or year 4 reading book list (there are lots on line), and get the stuff that interests him.

ohthegoats Sun 28-Jun-20 15:06:42

Topic stuff - just do what he's interested in. Ask the school what they are doing in Terms 1 and 2 and go with that from the internet. It'll almost certainly be covered by BBC bitesize and other things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »