Talk

Advanced search

Do we need to isolate?

(9 Posts)
Waffle12 Fri 26-Jun-20 22:52:23

Hi
My baby (10 months) has a mild temp- 37.8
I took her to the hospital only because I suspected something specific. She has a condition that when it flares up, starts with a temp, so we are extra vigilant if her temp creeps up even a tiny bit. We have open access to the ward and upon calling them they said I should take her in to be checked.

Got checked over and got the all clear and it's not her condition that has caused it. I did ask if they routinely checked for covid in babies if they come in with a temp, and asked if she should be tested.

They said no as only a mild temp, and no other symptoms to suggest it's covid. They didnt mention anything about isolating. The dr also said that it literally could be due to the weather at the moment. Very hot weather can cause an increase to body temperature, which I wasnt aware of.

I was so relieved and couldn't wait to get out so i left without thinking much more about it.

However, I am now wondering if we need to isolate?

NHS website says that a fever in children is over 38, so according to that she doesnt have a fever. Is this why they didnt test her and didnt mention isolating do you think?

Babies get temperatures all the time. Are you supposed to isolate the whole family if a baby gets a fever? Is it only if higher than 38? She is perfectly happy in herself, and feels more or less back to normal temp after a bit of calpol.

I have tried researching specifically if we need to isolate in these circumstances, but cannot find any clarification, other than a fever being 38+

Sorey if this is a silly question. Any advice or links to information that can clarify this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Lougle Fri 26-Jun-20 22:55:08

The Covid guidance is any fever 37.8+ means isolation for the person for 7 days and isolation for the whole remaining family for 14 days until/unless there is a negative test result for the person with the fever. Sorry.

Lougle Fri 26-Jun-20 22:56:07

www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works

Bol87 Sat 27-Jun-20 00:13:17

I wouldn’t personally no. My babies been running very warm & sweaty in this heat but she’s not ill. She just can’t regulate her body temp very well at 3 months! I haven’t even thought to check her temp as been 30 degrees outside & in our house!

My elder DD got temps for every single tooth coming through. I will not be spending my winter isolating if DD2 does the same. If she’s obviously teething, then she’s teething & not ill with Covid.

The fact medical professionals wouldn’t test her at the hospital, didn’t tell you to isolate or be concerned for themselves coming into contact with your child to me indicates you don’t need to worry!

raviolidreaming Sat 27-Jun-20 06:37:55

They said no as only a mild temp, and no other symptoms to suggest it's covid. They didnt mention anything about isolating. The dr also said that it literally could be due to the weather at the moment

Surely this is your answer?

jessy2018 Sat 27-Jun-20 06:58:57

We didn’t isolate after my daughter had fever after her 1 year jabs. It was obvious what it was. I think you’re fine. Especially as they didn’t want to test her in hospital. Could you ring and ask?

Aria20 Sat 27-Jun-20 07:10:16

I'd say if hospital said it's fine and v unlikely covid then you don't need to. Babies get slight fever when teething so it could be just as simple as that or as you say the hot weather.

Waffle12 Sat 27-Jun-20 07:15:22

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry if it sounded like a silly question given they werent worried at the hospital. I was just worried because I didnt think to specifically ask them if we had to isolate.

I called back this morning and they agreed that we dont need to isolate. Temp is under 38 and they said very unlikely to be covid.

Obviously need to keep an eye on her and if temp goes over 38 then either call them back or the gp as the advice may then change. But most likely to be viral or possibly related to the hot weather.

They did agree that the info out there is very general, as it does say 37.8. But they would not be worried with anything less than 38 in babies and small children.

She has woken up feeling a bit hot again, but her room is very stuffy. Let her cool down a bit downstairs and have taken temp again now and its 37.

Thanks again for ur replies.

OP’s posts: |
raviolidreaming Sat 27-Jun-20 13:36:55

Glad all seems okay smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »