Talk

Advanced search

has anyone remembered the large part physiotherapists have played in this virus?

(62 Posts)
CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Fri 26-Jun-20 21:50:36

it is not all about the nurses and doctors.
i fear they have been forgotten yet they are exceedingly important, as are speech therapists.

OP’s posts: |
FlibbertyGiblets Fri 26-Jun-20 21:56:01

And the OTs.
And the benefit office processing staff. Probate office staff. Lots really.

AbsolutePleasure Fri 26-Jun-20 21:58:13

And charity workers. 8-10 hr days here.

CuppaZa Fri 26-Jun-20 21:59:10

I assumed NHS was an umbrella term for all

Haretodaygonetomorrow Fri 26-Jun-20 21:59:26

I don’t think anyone needs to be singled out. Pretty sure everyone appreciates the work of keyworkers and NHS staff, regardless of role.

FlibbertyGiblets Fri 26-Jun-20 21:59:44

Bakers. Greengrocers.

ThousandsAreSailing Fri 26-Jun-20 22:00:58

Spreading it or treating it?

KingaRoo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:01:34

Er...my DD's OT and speech therapist are no longer allowed to work with my DD or any of their regular patients. She is disabled but has been left with zero support and no idea of when she will ever be seen again...

KingaRoo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:03:03

I mean, her physio, OT and speech therapist have been "working from home" and not seeing patients. Won't so video calls/consults of even telephone appointments. Disabled children have been abandoned.

HogDogKetchup Fri 26-Jun-20 22:03:53

I don’t think anyone needs to be singled out. Pretty sure everyone appreciates the work of keyworkers and NHS staff, regardless of role.

Yes.

I am so sick of everyone wanting a fecking medal. We get it. Clap clap bloody clap.

mrwalkensir Fri 26-Jun-20 22:05:44

Sister is a respiratory physio - there is and will be massive need for them with the ongoing lung and cardiac issues after covid. But they are relatively invisible

AnyFucker Fri 26-Jun-20 22:06:11

That went well confused

nosnugglesforyou Fri 26-Jun-20 22:09:00

This is awful. They’re super spreaders? Can’t believe it’s not been exposed

Yobeans Fri 26-Jun-20 22:09:21

Who said it was just about nurses and doctors?

TheGreatWave Fri 26-Jun-20 22:11:39

KingaRoo It is an incredibly frustrating situation for the therapists and their clients (et al) A lot have been moved within their trusts to other teams so not doing their regular work.

They have no doubt been working hard, unfortunately this has been at a cost to others.

BananaPop2020 Fri 26-Jun-20 22:13:02

Don’t forget Probation Officers and Prison Officers, some of whom have still been going into work on a regular basis and dealing with people who are already in a stressful and challenging situation. We have the same issue raised by the OP - when people refer to law enforcement or criminal justice, they always refer to Police.

DM1209 Fri 26-Jun-20 22:17:36

I want to add Civil Law Solicitor's.

It's a band wagon right?

Thanks.

Viviennemary Fri 26-Jun-20 22:20:24

I thought all physio appointments were cancelled.

KingaRoo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:31:05

I have spoken to DD's physiotherapist due to a related medical emergency. In her own words, she has been frustrated sat at home doing NOTHING and not allowed to contact patients, either by phone or video. She tried to contact DD's OT for an urgent report that was needed and couldn't get any response from anyone on the OT team. None of them are answering their emails or phones.

TheGreatWave Fri 26-Jun-20 22:31:35

Viv Physios do a lot of chest physio and positioning work. They (along with OT's) have a massive role in rehab especially of those that have been in ICU for a long time.

Micah Fri 26-Jun-20 22:33:58

I don’t think anyone needs to be singled out. Pretty sure everyone appreciates the work of keyworkers and NHS staff, regardless of role

Except the police, who are all bastards, obviously.

Cannot believe the anti- police sentiment over the past few months.

AnyFucker Fri 26-Jun-20 22:38:24

www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-physiotherapists-help-covid-19-patients-in-intensive-care-11965973

KingaRoo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:40:42

SOME physios maybe, others are sat at home not allowed to work. Even over phone/video. Same with OTs.

Has anyone remembered the parents of disabled children who have been left with zero support, with conditions gradually getting worse and worse? Who is going to applaud on their doorstep for me or give me freebies?

Who is applauding the family and carers of cancer patients who have been left without treatment?

Why the continual begging for applause/congratulations for people doing their PAID jobs?

Pomegranatepompom Fri 26-Jun-20 22:40:57

I posted on our hospital briefing - how disappointing it was that people were demanding things for doing their jobs. One request was for overtime pay for people shielding as they weren't able to do OT!

I like to think most people are quietly getting on with their jobs.

AnyFucker Fri 26-Jun-20 22:41:17

www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-how-physiotherapists-are-helping-patients-recover-136270

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »