Talk

Advanced search

Why wouldn't people cooperate with track and trace?

(114 Posts)
MRex Wed 24-Jun-20 19:07:44

Reports seem to suggest 1 in 4 people won't cooperate with track and trace. Why would that be?

I can understand perhaps a few contacts being hidden and contacted privately in some cases. Or your occasional black market worker / drug dealer / etc, maybe contacting people privately or not. But 1 in 4 is loads. Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Saucery Wed 24-Jun-20 19:10:17

Because employers are soon going to get pissed off with absence, is one reason I suppose. Not mine, I don’t think, but not all employers are going to be reasonable. Or you are paid for the hours you work and if you can’t work you won’t be able to afford the bills.

ohthegoats Wed 24-Jun-20 19:14:08

Because the government don't follow their own guidelines, why should anyone else.

Moreisnnogedag Wed 24-Jun-20 19:16:53

Because of needing to earn money. For instance, lots of staff are on zero hour contracts. So isolating would mean losing 50% of their months pay - could you afford that? What if it happened twice? Even if you had savings you would chew through them rapidly.

ItsWhineTime Wed 24-Jun-20 19:17:24

If people don’t co operate, the virus is here to stay so they can’t complain about the measures still being in place next year. It’s idiotic and juvenile and I have no time for people like that.

Saucery Wed 24-Jun-20 19:18:37

I’d also be pretty annoyed if I had an essential GP/dentist etc trip and because someone there has been in a pub and caught it I have to stay indoors for 14 days.

ItsWhineTime Wed 24-Jun-20 19:18:58

Also, it’s voluntary now. If people don’t start co-operating, it’ll be mandatory and you’ll be fined, a lot, so I think losing some pay will be the least of your worries

TerrapinStation Wed 24-Jun-20 19:20:46

It's pretty obvious isn't it, people don't want to have to self isolate for 2 weeks with all the work, childcare,life impacts that that has.

If I tested positive I'd feel terrible if any contacts had to isolate on the off chance. Having said that I haven't had 15 minutes of less than 2m contact with anyone other than my children since March so it wouldn't be an issue.

I guess also people don't want to own up to having broken the guidance as in most circumstances you shouldn't have any contacts to report should you?

OchonAgusOchonO Wed 24-Jun-20 19:21:24

What do you mean by "won't cooperate with track and trace"? Do you mean 1 in 4 people who test positive won't say who they've been in contact with? Or 1 in 4 won't self isolate if told they've been in contact with someone who has tested positive?

FourTeaFallOut Wed 24-Jun-20 19:23:18

Is that figure correct because the last time I saw someone raise it it was refuted - saying that 25% either refused to cooperate OR they couldn't get hold of them and in the vast majority fell into the latter category?

Paranoidmarvin Wed 24-Jun-20 19:25:03

Because it can happen over and over again. I can’t keep taking two weeks off work all the time. I will not be able to buy food. I know how important it is. But so if feeding my son. Sorry.

Whathappenedtothelego Wed 24-Jun-20 19:26:12

Is it actually that they are phoned up and refuse to co-operate?
Why would you do that, surely you'd just say you were going to.

More likely people get phoned by an unknown number, assume it's The Carphone Warehouse (other cold callers are available) and don't answer.

Get an answerphone message telling them to call back, assume it's a scam, don't call.
Or do call, get stuck in a queue, give up.
Or only have a land line, are out, miss the call.

Not everyone is sitting with their phone in their hand waiting for Track and Trace to call.

Snowdown24 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:27:54

Well who would pay the mortgage if two weeks was taken off! Savings have already been chewed through due to lockdown

DisobedientHamster Wed 24-Jun-20 19:30:32

Duh! Plenty of people cannot afford to continually isolate for 14 days. They'd lose their jobs, homes, childcare.

Nat6999 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:36:24

A combination of Cummingsgate, lack of trust in the government, can't afford to self isolate unless they are desperately ill, missing the calls, don't check emails, I won't catch Covid, don't want to risk losing their jobs, it isn't mandatory.

ThousandsAreSailing Wed 24-Jun-20 19:37:50

I don't trust the government or their cronies for impartial information or with my data

HermioneWeasley Wed 24-Jun-20 19:42:31

I won’t use the app. I would have done before the shambolic mess but there’s no way I’m having this incompetent gov decide if I have to self isolate based on my movements.

I’m I’m contact traced I may or may not based on my assessment of the risk. The contact tracers are reading from a flow chart and are wildly inconsistent in their approach.

Digestive28 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:43:52

How do they know if you have complied anyway? So how do they get data saying % of people are sticking to it?

Nonnymum Wed 24-Jun-20 19:44:58

I think there are several reasons eg-
-Some people are on zero hours contracts. If they don't work they don't get paid. So they can't afford to isolate for 2 weeks when they feel well.
- Its still only voluntary so some people think they don't have to cooperate.
-confidence in the Government is low and feel it is one rule fur them and another for others
-Some people are still arguing that its no worse than the flu so don't see the point!

TerrapinStation Wed 24-Jun-20 19:45:41

HermioneWeasley

I won’t use the app. I would have done before the shambolic mess but there’s no way I’m having this incompetent gov decide if I have to self isolate based on my movements.

I’m I’m contact traced I may or may not based on my assessment of the risk. The contact tracers are reading from a flow chart and are wildly inconsistent in their approach.

No one's using an app, it's all being down by normal public health phone methods assuming you're in the UK.

Where do you find info on how the tracing is being done, I've heard a few tracers talking on the radio but no mention of inconsistent approach

Greysparkles Wed 24-Jun-20 19:47:29

Also, it’s voluntary now. If people don’t start co-operating, it’ll be mandatory and you’ll be fined, a lot, so I think losing some pay will be the least of your worries

Pahahaha!!
Have you met our government? Mandatory? I don't think they even know the meaning of the word, let alone have the means to enforce it

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 24-Jun-20 19:52:04

I'd want to know who had apparently been in contact with me. If that information was supplied then I would listen.

flamingochill Wed 24-Jun-20 19:54:58

There's no limit to the number of times that you could be asked to self isolate so if you're unlucky you'd be screwed. Not sure you even get sick pay?

ItsWhineTime Wed 24-Jun-20 19:56:45

ThousandsAreSailing

I don't trust the government or their cronies for impartial information or with my data

Then you’re an idiot. Sorry

TerrapinStation Wed 24-Jun-20 19:57:32

flamingochill

There's no limit to the number of times that you could be asked to self isolate so if you're unlucky you'd be screwed. Not sure you even get sick pay?

I'm pretty sure you get SSP

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »