Talk

Advanced search

Working parents news

(18 Posts)
Orangeblossom78 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:09:59

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed that parents in England will be able to ask friends and family to help with childcare under the changes which come into force on 4 July.

He also said "wrap-around care" for school-age children - meaning care for children before and after school - and formal childcare will "restart over the summer".

And he repeated his promise to reopen schools fully in the next academic year, saying: "Primary and secondary education will recommence in September with full attendance and those children who can already go to school should do so because it is safe."

Just seen on BBC, posting for info thought might be helpful

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 23-Jun-20 16:14:21

Interesting as our usual holiday club said two days ago it doesn’t think it can open. Maybe it will after all.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:19:19

I there the terms ends 20th July so guess they may be able to get it moving in the next few weeks hopefully

mrs2468 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:25:12

Do you have a link to the source op?

Orangeblossom78 Tue 23-Jun-20 16:28:20

It was cut and paste from BBC's live online news feed

gingajewel Tue 23-Jun-20 20:18:36

I’m so happy, I have been so stressed about this but breakfast and after school club re opening will be the difference between me keeping my job and having to leave! So so happy!

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Tue 23-Jun-20 20:20:46

He’ll say anything.

The government have just contracted Oak Academy for another year to do online lessons....

TabbyMumz Wed 24-Jun-20 13:13:00

Full attendance doesnt mean full time though. It could mean all years. But part time. There is still a lot of talking to be done between now and then. He has still said stick to 2m where you can.

SunbathingDragon Wed 24-Jun-20 13:15:48

September is still a way off. He can’t predict what the situation will be by then. Even if schools are ok in September, what about the rest of the term and winter months?

Simpioni Thu 25-Jun-20 10:09:50

I saw this on the BBC live feed too but haven’t been able to see it anywhere since! Weird!

ifonly4 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:21:28

Schools will do their best to adhere to the guidelines but if they're not happy with the circumstances in their setting (lack of space/staff/other issues), they will obviously do what they can, but it won't be the same as this time last year. Our schools will have places for all reception, Years 1 and 6, but it's not fulltime. It's thought they will have all the children back in September but on a two week rota, ie in one week, out the next.

WishMyNameWasWittyNotShitty Sat 27-Jun-20 11:55:29

I re-watched the press conference where it appeared in the banner and still couldn't hear any mention.

I've also scoured Sky News/Google and the gov.uk pages and nothing 🤷‍♀️

Orangeblossom78 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:34:43

My primary just told us full time holiday clubs through the summer, school day for all year groups.

Orangeblossom78 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:35:34

£125 a week, not subsidised, run by usual provider. Using classrooms at the school

MarshaBradyo Mon 29-Jun-20 14:37:24

Good. Making right noises hope it sticks.

Oak Academy can be useful for any who
have to isolate waiting for test.

Orangeblossom78 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:40:37

60 children in 4 groups of 15 from a school of 400 though.

Orangeblossom78 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:41:17

Its childcare not school Marsha

MarshaBradyo Mon 29-Jun-20 14:42:50

I was focussing on this part -

And he repeated his promise to reopen schools fully in the next academic year, saying: "Primary and secondary education will recommence in September with full attendance and those children who can already go to school should do so because it is safe."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »