Talk

Advanced search

People visiting pubs may have to register before going for a pint.

(87 Posts)
DGRossetti Mon 22-Jun-20 17:56:28

Luckily of no effect on me whatsoever. But imagine how they'll manage to keep all that data safe ...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52977388

OP’s posts: |
BlueBrian Mon 22-Jun-20 18:02:26

People visiting pubs may have to register before going for a pint.
How on earth are they going to enforce that? People could just make up any old rubbish to get in, if it means carrying ID around just to get a pint, forget it,

RightIsRight Mon 22-Jun-20 18:05:21

Makes sense. It's for test and trace

Hadalifeonce Mon 22-Jun-20 18:24:18

We have recently opened for 'take away' drinks which can be drunk in our grounds, everyone is asked for name and telephone number. Not one person has complained.
It may be required for track and trace so everyone understands the need.

cathyandclare Mon 22-Jun-20 18:27:31

This is what they're doing in Germany, sounds sensible to me.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 22-Jun-20 19:00:45

This is what they do at home. The same with restaurants. So far no one I know has had an issue with it. I think the data gets destroyed after 14 days.

WobblyPenumbra Mon 22-Jun-20 19:08:08

A pub’s licence to sell alcohol is conditional on it being able to operate without endangering the public. In a fair number of venues that already means showing photo ID, so it’s not a big change.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Mon 22-Jun-20 19:10:06

It makes sense of course from a track and trace perspective but will all staff have GDPR training and who will provide that and meet the costs? Where will the data be stored until it is destroyed? Where will it be destroyed and how? Cross cut shredder? Confidential waste disposal?

PermanentTemporary Mon 22-Jun-20 19:11:37

Will be a bit weird but fine, whatever, as long as I can go out...

Patch23042 Mon 22-Jun-20 19:13:25

Fine by me if it gets the economy moving whilst keeping people safe.

BlueBrian Mon 22-Jun-20 19:13:51

In a fair number of venues that already means showing photo ID, so it’s not a big change.
Don't know what planet you're on, but I've never been asked to show photo ID to get into a pub, and if they tried they'd be losing my business instantly.

EdithWeston Mon 22-Jun-20 19:14:35

Young people are used to flashing ID to get drinks.

This just means we get a chance to return to our teen years. Now that would be fun!

BamboozledandBefuddled Mon 22-Jun-20 19:22:58

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea

It makes sense of course from a track and trace perspective but will all staff have GDPR training and who will provide that and meet the costs? Where will the data be stored until it is destroyed? Where will it be destroyed and how? Cross cut shredder? Confidential waste disposal?

I wondered about that. And surely it should be photo ID and proof of address or what's to stop people giving false details?

DisobedientHamster Mon 22-Jun-20 19:24:56

BlueBrian

*People visiting pubs may have to register before going for a pint.*
How on earth are they going to enforce that? People could just make up any old rubbish to get in, if it means carrying ID around just to get a pint, forget it,

Or just get a burner phone and use a fake name.

InfiniteGerbils Mon 22-Jun-20 19:26:49

Have you been watching Line of Duty again? @disobedienthamster

HeddaGarbled Mon 22-Jun-20 19:29:50

I’ve had GDPR training - it took about an hour and most of that was padding. It’s mostly common sense.

Do you picture the staff writing everyone’s details down on bits of paper? 🤷‍♀️

HeddaGarbled Mon 22-Jun-20 19:58:22

I wish I’d thought of this before: I could charge gazillions for running GDPR training:

1. Don’t ask for more info than you need.

2. Keep it securely.

3. Don’t pass it on without permission.

That’ll be £50, ta 😀

iVampire Mon 22-Jun-20 20:17:23

Just saw this....

DisobedientHamster Mon 22-Jun-20 20:26:49

InfiniteGerbils

Have you been watching Line of Duty again? *@disobedienthamster*

Is it any good? I really like Vicky McClure but the short guy sort of gets on my nerves.

No, I have a drug dealer neighbour, burner phones are a thing in real life.

StatisticalSense Mon 22-Jun-20 20:42:02

For the typical local where everyone knows everyone and there is nothing to hide (beyond the fact Bob wasn't actually walking his dog all afternoon) it'll be fine, if rather unnecessary in many cases (as the bar staff will already know who was there when and their contact details). However for certain types of venue, such as LGBT venues, it may cause more of an issue as a proportion of the clientele won't be comfortable in being traced to such a venue for pretty obvious reasons.

user1497207191 Mon 22-Jun-20 20:45:55

It's the pub's responsibility to comply and it's at their cost. It's just another cost of doing business. If they want to open, they have to comply. If they don't comply, then they have to bear the consequences, i.e. fines or licence withdrawn etc.

ineedaholidaynow Mon 22-Jun-20 20:53:22

Is this yet another thing that most other countries seem to cope with but we can't?

Other countries do it at the moment for test and trace (or their equivalent). Also means that going for a pint or a meal might mean you have to self isolate for 2 weeks if another customer tests positive. Something to bear in mind before you go.

BamboozledandBefuddled Mon 22-Jun-20 21:02:24

Also means that going for a pint or a meal might mean you have to self isolate for 2 weeks if another customer tests positive. Something to bear in mind before you go.

It's why we've decided we won't be going. Eating and drinking out wasn't cheap round here anyway and I'm expecting the prices to go up. Factor in the possibility of losing two weeks wages and it becomes ridiculous. We'll have takeaways and drink at home.

DisobedientHamster Mon 22-Jun-20 21:48:04

ineedaholidaynow

Is this yet another thing that most other countries seem to cope with but we can't?

Other countries do it at the moment for test and trace (or their equivalent). Also means that going for a pint or a meal might mean you have to self isolate for 2 weeks if another customer tests positive. Something to bear in mind before you go.

That's why a burner phone and fake name are good things.

pandafunfactory Mon 22-Jun-20 21:55:18

Does the government seriously think people will give their names and contact numbers to Miss Random or Mr Slightly Weird just because they happen to be bar staff. This is sinister and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »