Talk

Advanced search

Should attractions charge less?

(43 Posts)
heatherj96 Sun 21-Jun-20 14:48:08

What is everyones opinions on this topic? DH and I have opposite views on it.

For example our local farm are charging the same price as before and all the in and outdoor play areas are closed ( they have a large soft play and park with zip line) also they have a train which is again closed, cafe is take out only and you cannot take a picnic... they don't have a huge range of animals either!

Do you think the price should be the same as usual or less?

OP’s posts: |
Letseatgrandma Sun 21-Jun-20 14:49:21

It wouldn’t surprise me if the prices will be higher, to cover costs.

user1752463586 Sun 21-Jun-20 14:50:26

How would they cover their costs?

Tentatively Sun 21-Jun-20 14:52:16

I think they should charge more not less.

Doyoumind Sun 21-Jun-20 14:54:10

They need to cover their costs and make up for the months of closure but they also need people through the door. I think it's a balancing act and I wouldn't pay for an expensive day out where I didn't have access to many of the normal facilities.

Browzingss Sun 21-Jun-20 14:58:04

It’s the visitor’s responsibility to do their research before paying for tickets/entry; presumably these changes due to COVID guidelines are publicly listed, so buyers were aware before deciding to part with their money? They chose to pay the same price whilst being aware they wouldn’t have the same experience as pre-COVID. Therefore I don’t see what the problem is. If they think they’re being ripped off at that price, they don’t have to visit and part with their money.

PersonaNonGarter Sun 21-Jun-20 15:03:06

I think they should charge more not less.

hmm

If they are offering less then they’ll need to charge less. Otherwise they will go out of business as they lose customers. Some people may pay more to support the business, some won’t.

helpfulperson Sun 21-Jun-20 15:06:44

If you want them to remain in business I think they need to charge what they did before.

ClashCityRocker Sun 21-Jun-20 15:25:59

They'll need to charge what the market will bare (bear?!) and hope that it's enough.

As PP said, it's a balancing act.

There may be an advantage in lowering prices to get more people in, depending on how many they can have in with social distancing measures.

Or they may be able to fill as many places as they are able to at full price, even with the reduced facilities, in which case they would be foolish to lower the price.

KeepYourDistance2m Sun 21-Jun-20 15:42:06

Godstone farm?

We go quite often so I don't mind paying normal as we've definitely had full days there which I'd consider paying triple the price so imo it balances out (and I wouldn't want them to close).

If it's a 1 off visit and you are not local I can see why you'd begrudge paying normal though. I certainly wont be travelling far to a zoo/farm if it's not completely open.

heatherj96 Sun 21-Jun-20 15:47:37

@KeepYourDistance2m No not heard of that farm sorry!

I think prices are fine to stay the same, DH believes less people will go as they don't want to pay the same for less which I understand. Especially when you do not have a lot of money to begin with paying £9.50 for a 3 year old to see a few animals then have to leave is a bit steep!

I will be going at some point because I have been going since I was a child and would hate to see it close!

Laiste Sun 21-Jun-20 15:51:38

Anywhere with livestock to keep feeding/housing/healthy i don't mind paying the usual full price of entry. Plus the cost of keeping grounds tidy.

The animal care and general upkeep is probably what the majority of the full cost goes on.

Taking out the actual of running a few rides would equate to the price only going down by about 50p per head i imagine.

Letseatgrandma Sun 21-Jun-20 15:52:55

Especially when you do not have a lot of money to begin with paying £9.50 for a 3 year old to see a few animals then have to leave is a bit steep!

Well, you have the choice. If money is that tight, I would be going to the park to feed the ducks.

However, businesses like this have to comply with regulations and people stop going, they will be forced to close.

sweetkitty Sun 21-Jun-20 15:57:54

I was actually thinking of Walt Disney World (we were meant to be going next month) when it reopens there’s to be no parades, characters meets and greets, shows, fireworks etc plus you have to reserve your actual days you want to go to each park before you go (even a year in advance) and your paying a lot more than this year.

I’m not surprised every attraction will be the same to make up for lost revenue

Laiste Sun 21-Jun-20 16:23:47

Apart from the loss of revenue over lockdown they will have had to have paid out for all the social distancing paraphernalia and infection control stuff ready to open.

I'd rather pay the same as usual now in the hope that they're still there this time next year and so on.

heatherj96 Sun 21-Jun-20 17:15:33

@Letseatgrandma I am not talking about myself I am taking in general many family's have 2-3 children so a day out at this farm would be £40-50.

I am lucky that I can afford it and my DC loves animals so its worth it for me she could stay all day 😄

OfUselessBooks Sun 21-Jun-20 17:51:56

I think it's too to charge the same...but as long as you're up front about it.

We have a season ticket to an attraction. It has been closed for half the season and even now only half of it is open (we bought it for the amazing adventure playground, which is also closed). No events either, which we would have got in for free. I'm stuck thinking that u have to go and walk around some gardens ten times just to get my money's worth! Very cross with them. I am happy to pay for charities though (e.g. rspb), just not private businesses.

OfUselessBooks Sun 21-Jun-20 17:52:30

Sorry that should have been "fine" to charge the same.

Hugglespuffed Sun 21-Jun-20 18:01:32

I wouldn't pay that much to get in to somewhere that I can't even take a picnic too. Yes I want places to survive but paying that much, you also need to make it worthwhile.

girlicorne Sun 21-Jun-20 18:35:25

I think they need to keep their prices as they are to survive even if the service is reduced and if we don’t agree with paying we aren’t forced to go. We have been at our local zoo today, all the indoor viewing was closed probably about 25% of the animals. It was still full prove but I didn’t mind paying as their struggle has been very public. We still had 5 hours there so value for money I think!

DownstairsMixUp Sun 21-Jun-20 18:42:55

I agree. I've got an annual zoo pass and won't renew until it's all normal, why should I pay full price when a lot of it isn't happening ie the soft play, no picnics, no indoor cafe...

DownstairsMixUp Sun 21-Jun-20 18:43:36

Also you have to book slots at the zoo and a lot are sold out, if you have an annual pass then I already have paid for days I'm missing out on

helpfulperson Sun 21-Jun-20 18:46:37

The reason you pay full price is so that is still available to you when you want it. Very many of these places will shut.

Heatherjayne1972 Sun 21-Jun-20 19:55:40

Most attractions will become expensive now
They have to cover their costs

I feel for them. Too high and the price puts people off =less People /money coming in
But too low and they can’t meet their outgoings
Not great either way

BlusteryLake Sun 21-Jun-20 19:59:25

Lots of leisure activities will become more expensive. Fewer people will go, but fewer people are allowed in at any one time so there will probably be enough people willing to pay more for less for the sheer joy of getting out of the house. So the increased price model probably is sustainable for the short term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »