Talk

Advanced search

Chances for a Greece holiday mid August?

(37 Posts)
AvenueQ Sun 21-Jun-20 12:04:28

I mostly think no but occasionally I think well it could happen? What do you think?

Lemons1571 Sun 21-Jun-20 12:05:58

Dunno. Travel insurance might be a problem as insurance companies are not covering anything to do with covid unless you took the policy out before March.

AvenueQ Sun 21-Jun-20 12:07:28

We have annual insurance

WithIcePlease Sun 21-Jun-20 12:12:33

I'm due to go to Greece 11 July. Travel company not cancelled yet. I'm thinking it's possible

Chartsandgraphs Sun 21-Jun-20 12:13:25

Our annual insurance has added a new rider not covering Covid-19. You might want to check your policy.

Normalmumandwife Sun 21-Jun-20 12:13:30

Greece definitely on by then but if you haven't booked yet then you won't be insured apart from usually basic medical cover.

AvenueQ Sun 21-Jun-20 12:25:39

Both insurance and booking are from pre-lockdown

IcedPurple Sun 21-Jun-20 12:35:22

I think there's a good chance it will happen. Greece opened up for international tourism from several countries on June 15th, so you - and they - will have a chance to see how it goes before making a decision.

I agree with other posters that your insurance, no matter when you took it out, is unlikely to cover anything Covid related. Up to you whether or not that's a risk you're happy to take.

HairyFloppins Sun 21-Jun-20 12:41:50

I can't think why not?

Once FCO drop the travel ban you should be able to get insurance.

I am hoping to get to Spain for the end of August.

I had an email from my insurance company this morning they are covering Covid treatment, just not cancellation once the travel ban is lifted.

Didkdt Sun 21-Jun-20 12:45:21

Didn't Greece make a pledge to cover the costs of your holiday if you catch Covid-19 over there?

BarefootHippieChick Sun 21-Jun-20 12:47:30

I had an email telling me my travel insurance will still be valid as the holiday was booked last year. No idea if we're actually going on it though!

Chartsandgraphs Sun 21-Jun-20 13:16:09

Our annual insurance was from before lockdown but it had a clause stating they could change the terms in the event of something like a pandemic. I really would check!

IcedPurple Sun 21-Jun-20 13:27:26

Yep, most insurance policies have a 'force majeure' policy which might kick in in the event of a pandemic.

Mind you, most travel insurance policies are pretty crap anyway, so maybe not that big a deal either way.

Crazycatlady83 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:27:55

Travel will definitely be up and running by then, especially to Europe!

Parker231 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:30:28

Am more concerned about two weeks quarantine when you get home.

IcedPurple Sun 21-Jun-20 13:31:18

I'd bet money the daft quarantine policy will be quietly dropped in July.

SusieMyerson Sun 21-Jun-20 13:32:29

I have annual travel insurance with barclays. It definitely covers for covid if u booked your holiday before the pandemic.

Normalmumandwife Sun 21-Jun-20 13:33:14

Trips booked pre Covid are covered with Covid insurance. Anything booked after, even when the FCO Advice is changed will NOT have Covid cover, except basic medical insurance. Pretty much industry standard now

So anyone going g abroad next year will be doing so uninsured from a Covid perspective except medical

HairyFloppins Sun 21-Jun-20 13:57:25

Is that true normalmumandwife?

I have just done a new quote (very expensive) on trailfinders and it is covering new trips?

Up to £2,000 cover for Personal Effects
Up to £5,000 cover for Cancellation & Curtailment, including claims arising from Covid-19.
Up to £25,000 cover for Personal Accident
Up to £10 million cover for Medical Expenses & Repatriation, including claims arising from Covid-19.
Cover for cancellation due to redundancy
24-hour Medical Emergency Assistance Service
Automatic cover for many Adventurous Activities
21 day no quibble cooling off period

IcedPurple Sun 21-Jun-20 15:19:06

Didn't Greece make a pledge to cover the costs of your holiday if you catch Covid-19 over there?

Cyprus did. Not sure about Greece.

lurker101 Sun 21-Jun-20 15:22:33

@HairyFloppins I have also done the quote with trailfinders. From the email they sent me I think they’re aiming to be the industry leader for post Covid insurance and to also help encourage people to book holiday packages with them with confidence. It’s a lot more expensive than our annual policy was last year, but I’m honestly considering it for when we need to renew

B9008 Sun 21-Jun-20 16:29:06

How much is very expensive @hairy

WhiteChocTwix Sun 21-Jun-20 16:34:29

We're due to go to Greece end of Aug/beginning of Sept. I'm thinking positive that it'll happen. 🤞

Normalmumandwife Sun 21-Jun-20 16:58:27

@HairyFloppins

Yes you will find it excluded, except for emergency medical costs. Ring and ask them! We have a large company policy and any Covid related cober is excluded if the travel is booked after 13.3.20. Our contact said there is no company covering Covid at all and won't be doing even when the pandemic is over

hellsbells99 Sun 21-Jun-20 17:32:05

DH works at Manchester airport and he said quite a few people boarding flights today

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »