Talk

Advanced search

If you've had it, where did you catch it?

(105 Posts)
dullmiserablepeople Sun 21-Jun-20 10:07:49

I've just read another thread where someone was stressed on an outdoor walk seeing people touching gates, brushing past her etc. The responses were that the risk outdoors is very low, and that the real risks are in care homes, hospitals etc.
So I'm curious as to people's experiences on here.
I work in healthcare. The (very) few people at work who've had it seem to have had DC's with symptoms first. One friend had it, but had no idea where she got it from.

Where did you (or think you you did) catch CV?

OP’s posts: |
AnyFucker Sun 21-Jun-20 10:09:19

Who can be 100% sure but I got it in the course of my work (NHS frontline)

dullmiserablepeople Sun 21-Jun-20 10:13:13

@AnyFucker yeah I know it's going fu really tricky for a lot of people to pin point it.
I'm curious to see if your response will be one of many. Or catching it from a member of their household. As opposed to community transmission from unknown sources etc.

Comefromaway Sun 21-Jun-20 10:16:55

I’m not 100% sure I had it but my 16 year old son started with symptoms and I caught it from him. He went down to London for the day and went to the theatre v

TimeWastingButFun Sun 21-Jun-20 10:21:08

We just carry hand gel on walks and use it after touching doors/gates

dullmiserablepeople Sun 21-Jun-20 10:37:11

@TimeWastingButFun same here.

ohthegoats Sun 21-Jun-20 10:40:37

The (very) few people at work who've had it seem to have had DC's with symptoms first.

Impossible. According to all the 'doctors' on mumsnet, children don't have symptoms, don't transmit to adults, and especially not to school staff.

FixTheBone Sun 21-Jun-20 10:41:46

Pretty sure I got it operating on a covid +ve patient - my repsirator battery failed 20mins into a 3 hour operation.

violetscone Sun 21-Jun-20 10:44:17

My line manager got it while WFH and only leaving the house to go shopping so she probably got it from the supermarket.

A good friend either got it from the supermarket or getting a takeaway as those are the only times it’s possible.

My brother (who was hospitalised but is mostly recovered now thankfully) got it in the course of his work.

GoldenOmber Sun 21-Jun-20 10:48:23

Suspected not confirmed (classic symptoms no test), but I think most likely place I caught it was packed commuter trains. Lots of people coughing there in the couple of weeks before lockdown.

Boohooyouho Sun 21-Jun-20 10:52:33

We’re assuming my husband caught it from his work colleague who was confirmed as having it two days after they had travelled together in a train cab. Luckily he didn’t need to be hospitalised but it took him a good 6 to be able to function well enough to leave his bed and 8 weeks before he was well enough to return to work. Nasty

AnyFucker Sun 21-Jun-20 10:58:18

@FixTheBone what kind of symptoms did you have ? Mild or not ?

Sleepyblueocean Sun 21-Jun-20 11:00:45

My sisters both had confirmed cases and both caught at it work. Both work in hospitals with covid patients and work closely with colleagues who had had recent confirmed cases. The one who works on a covid ward caught it much later than the one who works with possible cases.

Thunderblunder Sun 21-Jun-20 11:01:07

We think DH caught it at the cafe in a train station in the Lombardy region of Italy back in the middle of jan. People everywhere at the station were coughing. Beginning of feb two weeks to the day he came down with symptoms.

ItsSpittingEverybodyIn Sun 21-Jun-20 11:08:58

I think I had it in March, one of my ds had it first, the symptoms were exactly the same for me as they were for him, then dd followed me, one of my other children and dh seemed not to catch it though.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 21-Jun-20 11:16:17

I haven't had it, but a friend is certain he got it at the supermarket - which means it's not true that you need prolonged contact. If we had a track and trace app it presumably wouldn't even ping during brief contact at the supermarket.

Someone else I know things she got it from her daughter touching a gate while out jogging.

MayFayre Sun 21-Jun-20 11:19:36

Dh thinks he had it very early on (before testing). His guess is from flights or airports. At that stage he was flying several times a week.

Londonmummy00 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:21:46

Confirmed cases here too with positive antibody tests.
Caught it from DS year 1, who suddenly started a high fever 2 weeks before lockdown (London) A few days in his cough started, a week in to looking after him in his room I became unwell. At that point the whole household came down with it. DH no symptoms and negative antibody test!

Mustbetimeforachange Sun 21-Jun-20 11:23:18

From one of the papers today, a virologist said "A lot of people think they've had it. They haven't, only 5% of antibody tests are positive". Of course whether the tests are accurate & whether everyone makes antibodies is another matter

Mybrowneyedgal Sun 21-Jun-20 11:26:27

The cases where people have caught it in a supermarket/touching a gate etc were these actually confirmed by a test?
It seems to me like it is almost impossible to catch it this way

missingeu Sun 21-Jun-20 11:30:52

From a patient on a non covid ward. Am NHS frontline worker.

Looneytune253 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:32:55

I caught it from my dad. No idea where he got it from but he was still out and about the week leading up to lockdown and was still planning on going to a pub party (despite being advised against it) until boris closed the pubs.

cptartapp Sun 21-Jun-20 11:34:16

Either Seville (Jan), Tenerife (Feb, the resort where COVID kicked off at the time!) or front line.
Only mildly ill around Jan though. Not since.

cptartapp Sun 21-Jun-20 11:35:39

....Should say had a positive antibody test last week

LashesZ Sun 21-Jun-20 11:37:26

Ironically, my boss caught it in a meeting planning the bed flow for coronavirus. She ended up admitted, but ok now thankfully. Work in hospital admin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »