Talk

Advanced search

Anyone think they made a mistake sending their child back to school?

(37 Posts)
KeysDontBelongInTheFridge Thu 18-Jun-20 14:10:49

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. I wasn't sure about sending my LO back, he's 6 years old, but I decided to give it a go. For the first time ever he says he doesn't like school, and if he could have one wish it would be not to go. I think he's not adjusting to the new environment and finding it hard. I'm wondering whether to just admit defeat and continue homeschooling him.

Anyone in a similar position? Argh!

Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
oxydrive73 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:13:39

No , my son (Year 6) loves it but if he didn't I would have taken him back out again.

Solasum Thu 18-Jun-20 14:16:22

How long has he been back? It might take a few days to readjust

Juststopswimming Thu 18-Jun-20 14:18:02

No, my son is incredibly happy to be back and I dont know a single person who regrets it

KeysDontBelongInTheFridge Thu 18-Jun-20 14:18:49

Glad your sons enjoying it Oxy!

Solasum - he's been back two weeks

ohthegoats Thu 18-Jun-20 14:18:54

No, she's loving being back.

To be honest, it's been really handy for us. We were new to the village, and we have had to use the maximum breakfast club and after school club hours, so neither of us every see any other parents. Because we're having to do drop off and pick up now at usual time, and we're both working at home, we've been able to meet some other parents and walk to and from school with them (socially distanced of course). It's been nice.

If she wasn't loving it, I'd still have kept her there. She's got to get used to it at some point.

asteri76 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:19:49

No, my 5 year old absolutely loves it.. he doesn't want to come home.. It has done his mental health the world of good!!

ThePlantsitter Thu 18-Jun-20 14:20:20

How long's he been back?

My Y6 isn't enjoying it much as she isn't in a bubble with her friends and it's weird. She continues to moan after 2 weeks but when asked she says she would rather be there than stuck at home with us hmm.

ThePlantsitter Thu 18-Jun-20 14:21:16

Sorry cross post. If you can homeschool him and your own mental health won't suffer I don't think taking him out will hurt personally.

Greyscreendream Thu 18-Jun-20 14:22:11

My daughter has been back almost 3 weeks and is loving it (she’s 5). She’s not with her usual teacher or classroom but as her best friends are in the same group it’s been ok even if she does miss her teacher.

If she wasn’t enjoying it I would have either taken her back out or only sent her in when I really needed to for work I think.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 18-Jun-20 14:25:23

ThePlantsitter

How long's he been back?

My Y6 isn't enjoying it much as she isn't in a bubble with her friends and it's weird. She continues to moan after 2 weeks but when asked she says she would rather be there than stuck at home with us hmm.

Kids eh!!! Way to go to make you feel good hmm. Still, good she can be honest about it !!

GabriellaMontez Thu 18-Jun-20 14:28:41

No. We're all delighted.

Uhoh2020 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:35:29

No not at all yes its different to before but they enjoyed it and my youngest seems to be more confident in himself with a smaller class.
If you take him out do you mean home school him permanently or just until the new term starts? I cant see there being much different to the classrooms in Sept than it is now less toys more desk based work no interaction with other classes.

lurker69 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:46:45

I have 2 back and to be honest they are enjoying it, I felt really bad because my son normally hates school, but I think the fact they are only there for a few weeks before its shutting down again helps!!

SimonJT Thu 18-Jun-20 14:47:46

Yes, but even during normal times going to school involved an hour of crying and screaming, so not a surprise! He isn’t in today or tomorrow so we’re trying again on Monday.

KeysDontBelongInTheFridge Thu 18-Jun-20 14:50:14

Simon - which year is your son in? Fingers crossed he's happier going in on Monday.

KeysDontBelongInTheFridge Thu 18-Jun-20 14:52:54

Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad so many are happy being back at school. Will probably try and give it another week and then take it from there. I need to remind him there's only about 25 more days left of term before he's back home again!

SimonJT Thu 18-Jun-20 14:54:36

He’s in reception, he often cries for an hour after drop off and sometimes to the point of being sick, so it isn’t a surprise! Once he has calmed down the does normally like it, but the changes in his classroom etc are a bit much for him. The lack of soft furnishings etc had made his class room echoy as well, so he can’t hear as well as usual (hearing impaired).

MamaGothel Thu 18-Jun-20 14:56:09

My DD5 is happy to be back but not happy with her bubble. I spoke to her headteacher who is going to try and sort something out for her. Have you tried speaking to the school? They might be able to help him settle a bit

Uhoh2020 Thu 18-Jun-20 15:13:31

OP I would only take him out if you are going to home school permanently and not just the rest of the year. If you take him out now and then send him back in September and he still doesn't like it what would you do then?
They need to adapt to the new way of schooling I'm afraid it's not going to be as it was before for a long time yet

LunaLoveFood Thu 18-Jun-20 15:21:39

My y1 is loving being back, they are doing some really lovely afternoon activities and lots of outdoor learning so he's happy.

Timeforanotherusername Thu 18-Jun-20 16:04:58

No. My 5 year old is happy he's back even if its part time.

He gets up in the morning and gets himself ready (unheard of). Tomorrow he is not there and I suspect he will stay in his pyjamas for longer.

LockdownLou Thu 18-Jun-20 16:05:02

God no. My son is loving the return. Best thing I did was to return him.

Sunnyhopefulness Thu 18-Jun-20 16:16:34

My year 6 loved it on the whole - but there have been up and down moments throughout the last 2 weeks .

At 6 years old he might just be bringing home the down memories - have you spoken / emailed his teacher to ask how he is in school ?

BabyLlamaZen Thu 18-Jun-20 16:18:46

Do you think it's because it's not you and he's not used to it? I just wonder if tsking him out might exacerbate the problem. Does he have many friends there? maybe see how it goes - give it a few more weeks.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in