Talk

Advanced search

Would you go on a day/weekend trip at the moment using public transport?

(39 Posts)
tussellous Wed 17-Jun-20 20:33:00

I'm getting pressure to go and visit a family member who lives about 2.5 hours away by train. I live in London and don't drive. I really don't want to, it doesn't feel like an essential trip. Would you go??

OP’s posts: |
sorrymrjackson Wed 17-Jun-20 20:34:20

I have done exactly this, I don't drive and I wanted to meet a friend. We did we had drinks and had a great day, after weeks of being at home with mental health beginning to suffer it was totally worth it.

GreyGardens88 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:35:34

Yes, went to Yorkshire from London the last few days, and done day trips around London on public transport

BlusteryLake Wed 17-Jun-20 20:37:09

Yep. Get yourself a face mask and a ticket and have a lovely day.

Sportsnight Wed 17-Jun-20 20:38:57

No I wouldn’t, personally. I know people are using public transport In London for non-essential journeys, but they’re not supposed to. The busses and trains are busy, and are among the places you’re most likely to spread or pick up the disease unwittingly. You’d likely spend time in fairly close/ enclosed proximity to hundreds of people across that journey.

I would make exceptions if my or the person I was visiting were in poor mental or physical health. But if it’s just boredom/ wanting company, I think I’d stay away.

Bookaholic73 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:39:44

Definitely not. I don’t think it’s safe enough yet.

GreyGardens88 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:40:41

The trains are empty as long as you don't go at peak hours, they're not busy at all

Sirzy Wed 17-Jun-20 20:42:10

Personally I couldn’t think of many things I would be less inclined to do at the moment than use public transport for non essential reasons.

Do they drive? Could they come to you instead?

AndwhenyougetthereFoffsomemore Wed 17-Jun-20 20:44:53

A family member (non driver) can to visit us on public transport last weekend: she said it was very quiet, and she wore facecovering/was careful with hand washing. But she wanted to come to us (lives centrally and wanted some green). I offered to go to her and would absolutely not have expected anyone to take public transport if they weren't comfortable doing so.

Dollywilde Wed 17-Jun-20 20:46:03

I would if driving wasn’t an option. Wearing a mask and practicing SD and good hygiene where possible.

CeeJay81 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:59:54

I've been wondering this but I'm in Wales, so we def aren't supposed to yet. I'm hoping we are allowed to do this by the time the official school hols starts. I want to go with my 2 kids to the local town for shopping(want to get my youngest new shoes). They are going to be so fed up if we can't go anywhere, we don't drive.

Waxonwaxoff0 Wed 17-Jun-20 21:29:24

Yes, I'd happily do it.

DamitJanet Thu 18-Jun-20 04:32:42

No I wouldn’t. The bus and train companies round here are putting out regular social media messages saying don’t travel for leisure. I’d still want to avoid public transport at the moment, and certainly wouldn’t want to take a long trip like that

Spinakker Thu 18-Jun-20 06:57:34

It depends on the situation with the family member. Are they very lonely ? Is there a specific reason why you need to go ? If it's just for a fun meet up then no.

KatherineJaneway Thu 18-Jun-20 06:59:46

Are you going to bubble with their household? Why are you getting pressure?

I travelled last weekend (within the rules) and it was fine, mask fogged up my glasses a bit though.

Scottishgirl85 Thu 18-Jun-20 07:37:35

You can only stay overnight if one of you is a single person household?
If everyone just stuck to the rules we'd all get out of this mess much more quickly.

lifestooshort123 Thu 18-Jun-20 07:39:58

It depends how badly you both want it. I took a 90 min bus ride to see a friend last week and it gave us both a huge boost. Only 3 people on bus each way and plenty of signs not to sit behind anyone, use the window seat, etc. My biggest worry was no toilets so missed out on my early morning cuppa just in case!

Hugglespuffed Thu 18-Jun-20 11:28:50

I wouldn't no. I don't think it is worth the risk really plus I'd feel bad for those key workers / other workers who NEED the public transport for work. Filling it up seems selfish.

Browzingss Thu 18-Jun-20 11:32:35

Technically you’re not allowed to, train providers are still “essential travel only” and aren’t allowing leisure travel. Use that as an excuse?

Personally think with the essential travel only stipulation- people with luggage or dressed for a social outing will probably stick out like a sore thumb to staff. Whereas people dressed for work, or those with a bunch of bags of groceries blend in.

Browzingss Thu 18-Jun-20 11:33:09

My local train provider has even said they won’t permit travel to non essential shops

Murinae Thu 18-Jun-20 11:35:28

No I wouldn’t travel on any kind of public transport at the moment and definitely wouldn’t be pressurised to do it.

Ted27 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:36:43

yes, I'm going to see my mum next week, journey about 2.5 hours. I havent seen her since December.
I don't drive. I live close to the railway and can see trains going past, they are empty outside peak hours. We will travel outside commuter times, we have travel packs with face packs, sanitisers etc.

Browzingss Thu 18-Jun-20 11:49:43

@Ted27 Well, trains are empty as most passengers are following the guidance provided by operators (essential travel only). If everyone did what you plan to & start travelling again because “trains are empty”, the risk to everyone increases & the trains wouldn’t be empty anymore.

Ted27 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:52

@Browzingss

The trains are running and selling tickets. I am a single parent with a child under 18.
I am complying with all the rules for travelling.
It seems to me that this replacing the hysteria earlier on about buying
'non essential ' things in shops.
If you don't drive, travelling on public transport may be unavoidable for food shopping - therefore essential
How on earth can a train provider determine what is a non-essential shop?
Whether you approve or not, non essential shops are open and people will travel.
I'm not going to join the scrum at Primark, Nike or Bicester village.
I'm going to see my mum, have a cup of tea and come home.

nickEcave Thu 18-Jun-20 12:04:01

How were all those people queuing at Primark and Nike on Oxford St getting there unless they used public transport? The vast majority of people in London don't live walking distance from Oxford St but Johnson has told us to get out there and shop so he clearly intends us to use public transport for this purpose! Whether this is a good idea is another question entirely!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »