Talk

Advanced search

Is your year 2/3/4/5 primary school child going back before the summer?

(86 Posts)
Adelais Tue 16-Jun-20 16:25:49

My dd is in year 2 and we were told last week that no other years could go back as there wasn’t enough classrooms available, no surprise there. Today we’ve been told that she can go back for 2 days for ‘transition’ days with her new teacher and half her new class. To enable this they are closing 2 weeks early for the other years that are back already (year 1 etc) so that the non returning years can go back for 2 day’s each.

Just interested what other schools are doing? It seems it’s been left to schools to decide what to do now.

OP’s posts: |
WeeMadArthur Tue 16-Jun-20 16:27:25

We’ve been told they won’t be starting before September at the earliest as there is no room.

Needtheadvice Tue 16-Jun-20 16:27:58

Only foundation and Reception is back, and they are on a rotation. Not sure when the rest go back but think it will be in September.

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 16-Jun-20 16:28:08

My Y1 child is back, haven’t heard anything at all about my Y2 child, I guessed it’d be September, but who knows?!

Chrisinthemorning Tue 16-Jun-20 16:28:53

Yes he’s back 4 days a week, Fridays off, year 3. Independent school. 3 weeks left of term.

MinorArcana Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:06

We haven’t heard anything official about when Y2- Y5 are going back.

But given that our school hasn’t room for all the R, Y1 & Y6 children to go back now, I doubt that the other year groups will be back before September.

Rembrandt Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:54

No. I think it will be September at the very earliest for my Year 4 DD.

Adelais Tue 16-Jun-20 16:32:35

Forgot to say that Keyworkers kids are still allowed during those last 2 weeks. Currently they have reception, year 1 and 6 back.
I’m glad she’s going back for 2 days at least.

OP’s posts: |
mindutopia Tue 16-Jun-20 16:35:30

Ours have asked if anyone with a child in reception/Y1/Y6 who has chosen not to take up a place can let them know if they definitely will not want that place the rest of the term.

Then once they know the numbers, they can let everyone else know if there would be a place for their Y2/3/4/5 child. Mine is in Y2 and I’ll be watching my email like a hawk next week because I would like to grab one of those place for her. It sounds like it might be from the start of July.

FourTeaFallOut Tue 16-Jun-20 16:37:29

Our y6s, who were to attend for a few weeks in July, have been told that there is no room for them now and they cannot return so there's no chance anyone else will be welcomed back.

HeyMicky Tue 16-Jun-20 16:38:09

Yes, my Y2 is, from next Monday, into a bubble of 15.

It's a combined 1/2 class, key workers were obviously accommodated first then year 1 had priority. There were 2 places left and I had indicated weeks ago I'd like her to return if possible, so she was first in line

Half the school is back, every class has filled its bubble of 15 students.

Theforest Tue 16-Jun-20 16:38:21

We haven't been told either way yet

PrincessConsuelaVaginaHammock Tue 16-Jun-20 16:38:31

Doubt it!

Mumratheevergiving Tue 16-Jun-20 16:39:23

Have a Yr 6 in 4 days a week and as far as we have been informed until the end of term (late July)
Have a Yr 3 who has been given a report and waved goodbye until Sept. Would really like the other years to have transition / contact days at school even if it meant my Yr 6 had a few less days in.

snappycamper Tue 16-Jun-20 16:41:13

Nope. Apparently school is now at capacity with Y6 plus keyworker children. They haven't really said either way regarding Y2-5 but I'd be amazed if they had them back. It's scandalous.

UndertheCedartree Tue 16-Jun-20 16:42:04

All we know so far is Nursury and Reception went back last Wednesday. Y1 are going back on the 22nd. They don't think they'll have the space for Y6 to come back. So seems highly unlikely my Y3 DD will return. Transition days sound a good idea. I really don't feel my DD will be ready in Sep to go into Y4 and with a new teacher. It would be great if she could keep her old teacher - not sure if that would be possible?

icedancerlenny Tue 16-Jun-20 17:06:05

Our school is fully open as of tomorrow for all juniors.

girlicorne Tue 16-Jun-20 17:07:29

I m assuming not, school have not released any statement about trying to get them back or about them definitely not going back either. DS is year 5. DD in year 7 has been told she definitely won’t be back this term she finishes on 9th July for summer holidays and I ve told DS he can too so he ll be gutted if he has to go back now. I work term time only but I ve worked right through this due to there being nothing else to do so I m ready for a long rest too 😀

TheBobbinIsWoundUp Tue 16-Jun-20 17:11:04

No - I haven’t heard anything from school about my Y4, and am assuming September.

NeverTwerkNaked Tue 16-Jun-20 17:19:41

We haven't heard anything even for our y1 yet so I am not expecting anything for y4. He's enrolled at online school now though so we are planning to stick to that next year unless we see radical change from the school. I have a tutor and outschool for the year.1 .

NeverTwerkNaked Tue 16-Jun-20 17:20:35

The modelling is predicting a second wave in the autumn so I am not sure what that will mean for schools

FourTeaFallOut Tue 16-Jun-20 17:22:32

Which model is that Never?

Stircrazyschoolmum Tue 16-Jun-20 17:24:58

Our state primary has all years back from Mon, alternate weeks, 15 in a bubble. They will effectively all get 9 days teaching before the end of term. Attendance is optional.

ChibiTotoro Tue 16-Jun-20 17:25:43

We're getting one week in July hopefully.

Xiaoxiong Tue 16-Jun-20 17:40:00

We just heard today that both DS1 and 2's schools will be bringing back as many other year groups as they can - they have already brought back all they are allowed out of R/1/6. DS2 went back to Year 1 two weeks ago (5 days a week 8.30-2pm), so hopefully DS1 will go back to his year 3 class for at least a week or two before term ends on July 3rd.

Even if it's just a week I'd take it, he needs to remember that he actually loves school normally when he isn't sitting on his own in front of a screen all day!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »