Talk

Advanced search

Facemask making me feel dizzy

(19 Posts)
WitchWindows Mon 15-Jun-20 15:29:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
GreyishDays Mon 15-Jun-20 15:31:01

Given that they are to protect other people, a bit looser would probably be ok. It just needs to be enough to reduce the direct blast of air from your mouth I think.
Also, you need to be able to breathe!

IsabelCupcake Tue 16-Jun-20 03:15:04

They are hot and horrible. Try having a lovely cool drink before wearing

Better on & firmly covering for me. Always i think be safe not sorry so I still wear one.

If it comes to it just use the lightly draped summer scarf - something is better than nothing

X

3cats Tue 16-Jun-20 03:18:01

You do get used to them. I hated wearing one at first, but now I barely notice it. They are harder when it’s hot or you are exerting yourself.

HotMessTryNotToStress Tue 16-Jun-20 03:25:00

I don’t know how healthcare staff manage wearing them for long shifts.
Hopefully you will get more used to wearing it with time though. But as PP said you need to be able to breathe comfortably.

DarkMutterings Tue 16-Jun-20 03:44:38

No one likes them, they're horrible. But try to think of it like a seat belt, it's restrictive, but you just have to remember it each time and you do it for safety. Maybe we need a new version of 'clunk, click'

HappydaysArehere Tue 16-Jun-20 03:57:55

My friend complained that the cotton home made ones made her feel uncomfortably hot. We had them made by a professional dress maker who had some lovely materials and mine was fine to wear. She said someone had given her a bought one from the local pharmacy and that was better. I too had bought a couple but they were very thin, disposable ones and I read that you shouldn’t see the daylight through them! I paid £2 each but as disposable I thought that was too expensive if you were using them every time you went out. I put the cotton/two layer ones in the washing machine after every use.

that you sh

Floatyboat Tue 16-Jun-20 08:05:07

Just get on with it. 99% of Hong Kong manage to wear them.

Northernsoullover Tue 16-Jun-20 08:09:07

As per instructions? I thought the instructions were face coverings? I haven't seen mandated 'tightly woven'. A scarf would be ok or a cotton bandana?

burnoutbabe Tue 16-Jun-20 08:19:22

I think with me it's my breathing, if I breathe through my mouth I feel dizzy so have to concentrate on doing it through my nose as much as possible. Very glad to get it off after 10 mins.

peridito Tue 16-Jun-20 09:04:08

Floaty the OP isgetting on with it ,she just also happens to be asking for advice .

I've noticed from the news that Hong Kong and other countries where mask wearing is the norm that it's mainly those disposable masks being worn . I wonder if that's because they are 3 ply or because they are more easily tolerated than cloth ones ?

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Tue 16-Jun-20 09:08:05

Buy a valved mask.

Floatyboat Tue 16-Jun-20 09:09:26

I think because they are perceived as more hygienic. And they had robust preexisting supply chains so no shortage.

Babdoc Tue 16-Jun-20 09:12:45

Boots sell a pack of 50 disposable masks for £30, which is a reasonable 60p per mask. They are paper, and much more breathable than thick cotton. I would be concerned at people with lung conditions potentially struggling to breathe through thick cotton ones.

peridito Tue 16-Jun-20 11:11:07

I think I'm going to try disposables .I would have preferred to use the cloth ones I have but I am finding them v uncomfortable .

I can't help thinking that other countries have routinely worn masks for years and I just don't see them wearing cloth ones .

ChubbyPigeon Tue 16-Jun-20 11:17:34

The cloth masks are horrible, I really struggle to breath through them. I would get some disposible masks if you can.

Im a dentist so used to bloody masks but a surgical mask is so much more breathable than a thick cotton mask.

peridito Tue 16-Jun-20 11:44:57

Thank you chubby .

I am so in awe of dentists for the work they do and your comments are taken by me as gospel!

pinktaxi Tue 16-Jun-20 11:49:14

Maybe your breathing g more rapidly and shallow? It's highly unlikely a mask is reducing g oxygen intake.

Frenchfancy Tue 16-Jun-20 11:49:54

If you made it yourself then it might be worth trying some different patterns. DH prefers the ones that look like surgical masks, I find they get in my eyes and make me dizzy so I prefer the shaped ones with the centre seam.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »