Talk

Advanced search

What is with all the furlough bashing

(49 Posts)
whatisforteamum Sun 14-Jun-20 18:20:10

I have noticed since some lockdown.measures were.eased a lot of resentment has built uptowards those on furlough.Scenes of people crowding on the beach probably didn't help!.
My own dm commented that furlough needed to stop until I explained to her that many cannot return to work yet.Fast forward to now and she commented it is costing too much which I can understand however I work in hospitality and have worked for 36 years in the trade and dh has always worked too.I also appreciate that apart from redundancies our jobs may have less hours due.to less customers for months or years.Comments about siting pretty even though dhs money is now below minimum wage.!
So what is it with furlough people being looked down upon?I didnt.ask for this though very much.appreciate the scheme.I don't know why people assume we are lazy when I normally work 55 hour weeks.Does anyone else feel the backlash?

ilovecake122 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:21:51

Jealousy. Some people who have had to carry on working resent the furloughed for sitting at home/ at the beach / in the garden etc etc. They would rather we sit in a dark room and cry for three months instead.

ilovecake122 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:23:57

Or alternatively they probably wish we had all lost our jobs before lockdown and lost our houses while struggling to put food on the table. It takes a very nasty person to wish that on anyone but that is what the furlough badgers want it seems - they can't beat that they've been working while others have had time off while paid.

Waxonwaxoff0 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:27:18

Jealousy, although god knows why as probably about half of us will end up losing our jobs after the scheme ends. I had an argument with an acquaintance about this - she works in a supermarket and was moaning about all the furloughed people going to the beach while people like her were risking their lives. I pulled her up on it and she told me I was lucky to be furloughed as she had no choice but to go to work. Well, I had no choice on being furloughed either, that was my employer's decision. I'd rather be doing a key worker job knowing my job was secure than in this limbo of not knowing if I'll have a job to go back to.

user1972548274 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:31:10

So what is it with furlough people being looked down upon?I didnt.ask for this

What you're describing and complaining about happens all the time, almost without challenge, to anyone who cannot work due to illness or disability or who has been laid off and is struggling to find work again.

Do you have a problem with that? Or do you only object now it's directed at you personally too?

Ylvamoon Sun 14-Jun-20 18:34:25

Sunshine & Jealousy! I think having to work while others are enjoying being outside is difficult for some individuals.
I have been on furlough but just had my first week back... I am actually glad to be back at work and some normality!

Bluntness100 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:34:55

Just look at the responses op. It is both sides but a minority of people. Furloughed attacking those working and imagining nasty motives and working attacking furloughed because of whatever.

For most though there is a genuine concern about the cost to the economy of the scheme, concern that some folks wish to extend it, and an understanding that those still furloughed are now seriously at risk of loosing their jobs if they have not done so already.

I’d have to suspect because of that Risk, few people are envious, not now. Maybe at the start but not any more.

Egghead68 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:36:43

There’s shielding bashing too. Haters gonna hate.

Whoopsmahoot Sun 14-Jun-20 18:49:40

Don’t feel backlash but feel guilt anyway. Feel guilty for getting full pay but not having to work for it. Still furloughed. Not enjoying been off now but know when I do go back it will be months before I can get any time off. Damned if u do and damned if you don’t.

whatisforteamum Sun 14-Jun-20 18:59:22

Egghead68 really? My heart goes out to anyone sheilding.There is a reason the vulnerable are sheilded.

BaileysforBreakfast Sun 14-Jun-20 19:06:53

What user said.

Greysparkles Sun 14-Jun-20 19:06:59

I know of people on furlough working in other jobs.... So basically on a near double wage. I don't bash, but I can see why others would in those circumstances

Devlesko Sun 14-Jun-20 19:11:19

Jealousy, and they're scared.
Their jobs are in danger the same as the furloughed, this thing isn't over yet.
Many feel guilty as they can't parent, support learning and work, ironic as those complaining now were the same posters claiming they did what a sahm does and work too.

ChavvySexPond Sun 14-Jun-20 19:19:17

I assume anyone bashing furloughed workers is a lazy arse who wishes they themselves were getting paid but not having to work. Pure envy isn't it? Plus ignorance. It's not as if people on furlough got the choice. And more ignorance. Losing 20% of your income can make quite an impact to household finances. And even more ignorance: The government did furlough to save the economy.
Slagging off the furloughed marks people out as lazy stupid and jealous basically.

ChavvySexPond Sun 14-Jun-20 19:21:32

And slagging off the shielded is the preserve of actual cunts.

ragged Sun 14-Jun-20 19:22:21

I don't get it, either, OP. Jealousy sounds most likely explanation.
Just bc you're furloughed doesn't mean you'll have a job to come back to, so I imagine it's pretty stressful.

what kind of 2nd jobs are furloughed ppl getting? The only advertised jobs here are carework. & supermarket picking. Is that what the furloughed ppl all went off to do?

Todaythiscouldbe Sun 14-Jun-20 19:23:12

Devlesko

Jealousy, and they're scared.
Their jobs are in danger the same as the furloughed, this thing isn't over yet.
Many feel guilty as they can't parent, support learning and work, ironic as those complaining now were the same posters claiming they did what a sahm does and work too.

I'm not sure a SAHM usually teaches full time so that's a ridiculous comparison. In normal circumstances I absolutely do what a SAHM with a child the same age as mine does. I also work.

Egghead68 Sun 14-Jun-20 19:23:30

@whatisforteamum yes absolutely -“Lockdown is the shielders’ fault” “Why are we ruining the economy for the sake of a few sock people” “Why should we pay for your food boxes?” Etc. on MN and elsewhere.

Egghead68 Sun 14-Jun-20 19:23:47

Sick people not sock people

rawlikesushi Sun 14-Jun-20 19:24:09

I don't know anyone who is critical of furloughed employees. If used correctly, it is used in lieu of redundancy so it is quite obvious that their jobs are at risk. I don't begrudge them a trip to the seaside, or whatever, while they're at home, or a second income if they've got the wherewithal to do that.

WhiteChocTwix Sun 14-Jun-20 19:28:01

Furlough ending here on 30th June and I'm up against a zillion other people for every job I apply for not that there's many to choose from I'd be so grateful to have a job to go back to.

Cornettoninja Sun 14-Jun-20 19:30:57

I think for a lot of people it has just become another benefit and if they’re inclined to have a bee in their bonnet about state benefits this is just a new flavour to add to the menu.

Don’t waste your energy trying to point out it’s not all lie ins and sunbathing; they won’t care.

Personally I think furlough was a fantastic response and hopefully this will show in our unemployment figures in coming months when compared with countries without safety nets. No doubt some businesses were delaying the inevitable but if for a significant percentage this was the difference in surviving then its worth it.

(For reference myself and my DP have worked throughout and don’t begrudge anyone who was furloughed).

Babyroobs Sun 14-Jun-20 19:34:36

I'm jealous of my co-worker, she's not furloughed but because she has no childcare she is basically being paid full pay with very little work given to her. not been asked to take holiday, unpaid leave or anything.

Musicforsmorks Sun 14-Jun-20 19:41:43

You have my sympathy, I have also noticed this attitude to furloughed workers, and I am self employed (didn’t stop working luckily).

It honestly reminds me of attitudes so many people had towards the unemployed and disabled. Since before 2010 it was deemed just fine and dandy to portray them all as scroungers and a drain on the system. And just because a minority abused the system, thousands of people were looked down on for having fell into difficulties, mental health issues or disability.

Many people on here championed austerity and were happy to label all unemployed as a drain on the system.

There but for the grace of god and all that.

musicalmrs Sun 14-Jun-20 19:43:47

Sometimes it's not jealousy. I'm employed, working harder than normal for less money, and having to homeschool too. My husband, a key worker is working more hours for the same money. We are lucky to be in a secure position, but my job is in the arts sector which is being dessimated at the moment. I know of other families who are self employed who are in similar situations, or key worker job families who are juggling massively and stressed constantly.

Furlough is hugely important, and a vital 'benefit' as someone further up the thread described it. I wouldn't dare furlough bash, but it's hard not to feel a little down on occasion when extended family members (who are furloughed and don't live with you) are going to beaches, complaining when you don't reply to a message in 2 mins during working hours, having BBQs and sending pictures every day, criticising at your lack of DIY while they've done everything and anything, and spending huge chunks of furlough money on foreign holidays for the end of the year.

Rather than bashing, my technique has been to avoid social media where I can (though I do have to use it for work) and to ignore/block temporarily those who are furlough boasting. Yes, they may be worried about the future and their jobs may be on the line, but at least they're receiving some support now, which not everyone is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »