Talk

Advanced search

2nd Lockdown

(29 Posts)
Alex50 Sat 13-Jun-20 19:25:56

If there is a second wave, can you see the population being locked down again? Can you see people conforming a second time?

ohthegoats Sat 13-Jun-20 19:27:42

No.
Depends.

Will be local if anything. They won't shut schools again.

AlecTrevelyan006 Sat 13-Jun-20 19:30:01

No

HairyFloppins Sat 13-Jun-20 19:30:42

No

AnyFucker Sat 13-Jun-20 19:31:12

Nerp

BlusteryLake Sat 13-Jun-20 19:32:42

No, but we have more knowledge and management tools at our disposal now than the first time round.

Dadnotamum72 Sat 13-Jun-20 19:33:43

Would depend on the level of the second wave, agree unlikely to be a full lockdown with a low level 2nd wave but a full on spanish flu type 2nd wave in the autumn/ winter who knows, hopefully will not happen but if it did would make this one look tame.

Thetriangle Sat 13-Jun-20 19:34:22

No and no. Country can’t afford it. I have followed every rule to the letter so far but I certainly wouldn’t conform again - my family and I are very low risk. How many months and years of my and my children’s lives am I meant to sacrifice to “saving the nhs” (which appears to be beyond saving anyway)? I’ll take my chances.

Qasd Sat 13-Jun-20 19:41:59

No economically they will not national wide and cannot afford to. Schools will not properly reopen anyway so yes they will shut again! But not economically generating businesses

HowAboutYes Sat 13-Jun-20 19:50:28

They won't shut schools again.

They haven't re-opened.

Rushhomeroad Sat 13-Jun-20 19:53:18

No, I think the most would be local lock downs if there is a cluster of cases.
No idea when schools will open properly, but will definitely have to close individual classrooms each time someone coughs etc, which could lead to whole schools.

TrustTheGeneGenie Sat 13-Jun-20 19:55:16

No.

I'm usually a massive rule follower but fuck that for a game of soldiers I've sacrificed enough. I am sure many people feel the same.

ImMrsRobinson Sat 13-Jun-20 19:55:28

I would say no and I don’t think another lockdown is right action.

We need to work towards a solution to get the economy moving, children back to school and normal levels of healthcare provision back in place as the damage caused by the disruption is far worse.

Hopefully we can achieve this whilst protecting the vulnerable.

TrustTheGeneGenie Sat 13-Jun-20 19:56:44

but will definitely have to close individual classrooms each time someone coughs etc, which could lead to whole schools

Surely not? Maybe on a positive test which is what the guidance says.

DisobedientHamster Sat 13-Jun-20 19:58:34

No

Lumene Sat 13-Jun-20 20:02:04

There may well be local lockdowns but I’d be surprised at a National one.

Alex50 Sat 13-Jun-20 20:15:08

So it doesn’t sound like the government could persuade the general public to lockdown again without enforcing it.

DamnYankee Sat 13-Jun-20 20:23:44

No. That way lies more civil unrest and madness.

Thetriangle Sat 13-Jun-20 20:28:00

When in human history have whole societies locked down for months even once to prevent the deaths of less than 0.5% of the population, with a median age of death of about 80?! Government cannot “enforce it”, they couldn’t afford it - there’d be no money left for furlough, we couldn’t pay for the remnants of the nhs that were left, there’d be riots.

Start hoping for a vaccine, treatments or that track and trace gets better!

cyclingmad Sat 13-Jun-20 20:31:08

If they do they know they will have to go harder and fo alot more enforcement. It wont be like before, it will be how other countries did it.. much more stricter. The fear mongering will be on another scale to get people to comply.

FrolickingFannyBoots Sat 13-Jun-20 20:33:41

No. I’ve followed lockdown to the letter but it would be impossible to impose it again I think nationally. More likely local lockdowns in a ‘ whack - a - mole approach to spikes. I think there are more tools and knowledge to cope with any second wave in the next flu season. So many people need urgent treatment for other things like cancer now and services such as dentists, opticians and mental health services; the nations health just couldn’t cope with another full lockdown. We need to focus now on wearing masks in public places, hand sanitiser use and protecting the vulnerable. Let’s hope and pray for a cure or vaccine as soon as possible.

2beautifulbabs Sat 13-Jun-20 20:47:19

No chance and if they tried to force it on us again I would go and stay with my parents so that my DCs would have the company of their grandparents and at times I'd hopefully be allowed to charge my own batteries as well as giving my DH a chance to have a breather whilst he's still working.

I'm still yet to see my family can't go further than 5 miles in Wales so I'm missing them so much haven't seen them for 4 months and yes we speak via FaceTime but it's not the same as being able to hug them and being near them

All this opening shops back up and attractions and yet we still can't see our family it's getting to me now it's in humane sad

Lynda07 Sat 13-Jun-20 20:48:00

I think there would be a lot of resistance but if a second wave was really bad, people would do it. I read today that is happening in Beijing which is awful because they had done so well considering how bad it was when it started.

ScrapThatThen Sat 13-Jun-20 20:48:41

11 neighbourhoods in Beijing have been locked down now due to an outbreak 😓.

I really don't think total lockdown can happen again but I think lots of measures will need to be maintained.

thunderthighsohwoe Sat 13-Jun-20 20:56:42

@HowAboutYes

*They won't shut schools again.

They haven't re-opened.*

Many have been open every weekday since March.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »