Talk

Advanced search

Furlough scheme - getting staff to work the odd day

(8 Posts)
Dingdong99 Thu 11-Jun-20 09:54:28

I'm an employer and have closed my business and furloughed my staff

I need to get a couple of my staff in for a day or two, here and there

I know that from 1st july, I can claim for my staffs wages part time, but what am I meant to do before then?

I don't want to claim furlough if they're working, but since it's such a small number of days, I don't want to take them off furlough and start covering their wages again

OP’s posts: |
imsooverthisdrama Thu 11-Jun-20 10:00:37

Can you not just have 1 member of staff not furloughed and the rest furloughed?
You can't furloughed staff then ask them to work the odd day .
So it's you do the work or 1 or 2 members of staff work .

ShowOfHands Thu 11-Jun-20 10:04:02

If you are furloughed, you cannot work.

You have to take them off the scheme if you want them to work.

YinuCeatleAyru Thu 11-Jun-20 10:10:38

you have to be furloughed for a minimum of 3 weeks at a time, but it's fine to bring people off furlough and then put them back on, and there is no minimum time to be off furlough, so a staff member who has already been furloughed for the past 3 weeks can be brought off furlough for a day or two to get the tasks done, and then can be re-furloughed for at least 3 weeks, which will take you to 1st July after which you can have staff members furloughed for 4 days a week and working one day a week or whatever portion you need.

Woodandsky Thu 11-Jun-20 10:52:28

It's too late now to bring anyone back and re-furlough them for 3 weeks before the end of June. Anyone brought back now is back for good I'm afraid.

If you want to stick with the rules you have no choice but to wait until July. We have been getting people in for a week or two then re-furloughing them when their particular work ran out but as of yesterday you can't do that any more.

Everyone you want to claim furlough for (PT or FT) from 1 July must have been on furlough for at least 3 weeks by the end of June ie their furlough must have started on 10 June at the latest.

I think they have sneaked that bit in to put off people suddenly trying to cash in on the PT furlough option but they haven't considered the fact that many companies have been doing a small amount of work & bringing people in and out accordingly.

StatisticalSense Thu 11-Jun-20 12:37:55

Bring one person back properly instead of expecting various different people to do a day here and there?
Otherwise do the work yourself.

Blobby10 Thu 11-Jun-20 15:08:41

We are in a similar dilemma *@Dingdong99*. Half our staff of 18 are on furlough at 80% salary, the other half are working 3 days (22.5 out of normal 38 hrs) on full pay. We can't swop them over as they all have individual skills. Our orders aren't plentiful enough to guarantee any more people enough work but are too much for the ones we have in. The ones working don't want to work 4 days or they will feel they may as well go on furlough and get 80% for doing nothing. I'm covering three peoples work (was four but I brought one back off furlough). if it wasn't for the government paying furlough we couldn't afford to keep all our staff.

I thought the part time thing didn't kick in until August? I do wonder how HMRC will check whether people who have been furloughed have actually worked for a couple of days. I guess they are relying on everyone being honest which will work great for those of us who ARE honest but end up with the unscrupulous ones getting more than they are entitled to ----again!

Woodandsky Thu 11-Jun-20 16:21:24

They changed the part-time to bring it forward to July which is great (more detail to come tomorrow). But they also sneaked in the 10 June cut-off, I'd assumed that as long as people were furloughed on 30 June it would be OK.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »