Talk

Advanced search

Children at increased risk of online grooming during lockdown

(4 Posts)
Nighttimefreedom Wed 10-Jun-20 18:41:34

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52999552/coronavirus-fears-over-online-grooming-of-children-in-lockdown

I just saw a report on this on BBC news. Another sad effect of the lockdown on children and young people.
I know myself and others who are letting their children have much much more unsupervised screen time than normal as we try and work from home.

I would love to hear more from the government on when they are going to start prioritizing children and young people in their response to the pandemic.

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I did try and check before I started it.

OP’s posts: |
JudithGrimes Wed 10-Jun-20 18:44:07

More screen time doesn’t have to mean unsupervised internet access.

You can set games like minecraft Etc so they are played offline.

Nighttimefreedom Wed 10-Jun-20 18:46:32

Agreed @judithgrimes, that is correct of course. I still find it quite a shocking report

Nighttimefreedom Wed 10-Jun-20 19:03:27

I guess it just brought home to me, that we are starting to see some of the negative impacts on children of the lockdown, and reinforces my belief that where children and young people are concerned they are being impacted to a level that is disproportionate to the risk.
I felt at the start of lockdown that it was going to be extremely difficult for some children and downright dangerous for others.
And I felt and still feel that this risk to children wasn't properly discussed or debated.
I understand the reasons for the lockdown and school closures, but I'm not sure at what point we say the risk to children and young people is too great.
Of course, children's online safety is ultimately a parents responsibility but a lot of us have our eye off the ball with the stress we are under at work etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »