This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Anyone tried to use their AXA or Bupa cover lately?(17 Posts)
Our family pay £500 each month for our medical insurance. Dh is keen for us to cancel and feels we wouldn't be able to use it even if we had to.
I'm reluctant to cancel as I don't want to go through all the questions again....so long and might not be covered next time.
Has anyone had to make a claim and did you actually manage to get seen by a consultant? I really don't see the point in paying so much for a virtual consultation!!
I would love to know how others have got on. Thank you!
I think private hospitals are starting to plan their way back to normal service but you probably won’t be able to use your policy for a while.
I’m keeping mine even though I know I can’t use it at the moment as I’ve got it to try to avoid NHS waiting times which are going to be so so much worse when things start up again.
Also be careful if you have any pre existing complaints. If you cancel your policy they may not cover you when you renew. This is why I didn't cancel my cover.
We tried to use ours a couple of weeks ago. I got approval from Bupa as it’s a work policy and a list of consultants to contact. I spoke to all their PAs but none would see us yet, they said virtual consultations maybe starting from the 1st July at the earliest but they wouldn’t commit to an appointment.
Unfortunately the NHS block booked a lot of private hospital beds which were never used. I would keep the cover NHS waiting lists are going to be insane even when it starts to function again
I saw a chiropracter last week (just opened) via my work AXA PP policy.
I think it will start to get back to normal now so if you've come this far, may be worth keeping it (although easy for me to say I don't pay much for it)
I haven't got insurance, but I am self funding some investigations. I had a telephone consultation last week and will be going for further tests in hospital in the next few weeks, so in this area (West country) things are starting to move again.
If I had insurance I would be worried that I would never get it again at that price - it will always get bumped up if you have to renew. On the other hand, if you put that money away instead of paying it out to an insurance company each month, wouldn't that be a fast growing sum to pay for treatment? It depends on your general health I suppose.
I was offered a virtual consultation last week but since it's a procedure (& imaging) I need that's useless, I'm going to try again in a few weeks. Private beds are still booked out here (not for NHS treatment afaics they are just empty) ... we briefly considered cancelling as it's so tax inefficient (particularly as we also can't access dental care or the optician) but it's a good policy (pre-existing conditions plus GP & eyes & teeth for 6 of us) and NHS services are going to be worse than ever after this. We have been using the private GP quite a lot - prescriptions are often cheaper than the NHS charge.
There are lots of consultants and physios etc offering virtual consultations. Private hospitals are set to start reopening to patients later this month as they’ve been released back by the nhs. I think demand will mean it’ll be hard getting private appointments for a little longer but it should calm down eventually.
As a previous poster said, just remember if you cancel and want a new policy you’ll be subject to new underwriting and won’t be covered for anything pre-existing.
If you are concerned by the cost could you look at downgrading your cover? If you call to cancel they may well offer ways to reduce the cost or even a month free to keep you.
As a previous poster said, just remember if you cancel and want a new policy you’ll be subject to new underwriting and won’t be covered for anything pre-existing
Ha ha. I was with Vitality and they tried to exclude a pre-existing condition for the 3rd year of cover (as well as putting the premium up even though I'd not claimed and was on their Platinum level) so I just thought blow it and cancelled the policy.
(and pre-existing condition was very minor one, I had a skin lesion treated a couple of years ago with a cream).
I have. Had a virtual consultation for DD but consultant has ordered the tests to be scheduled as soon as clinics seeing patients in person. So not business as usual but the surgery is approved and ball is rolling so to speak.
We are with Aviva - teeth, eyes and medical for three people. Feels like a total waste at the moment - DH has had orthopaedic surgery cancelled indefinitely (booked for late March). If we cancel policy though, his hip won’t be covered with a new policy. We are keeping it on and cursing silently. We asked if there was any negotiation atm, and was given a curt no.
I got referred to ENT by AXA online doctor on Friday, heard from them today and have an appointment with consultant this Thursday so are still up and running.
Have had imaging, virtual consultations and bloods in the last week with Axa. Amazing service, really relieved as it turns out to be quite serious.
it's heartening to hear of ppl getting treatment! I've just contacted the private hospital & consultants I usually see - I might need to look a further afield if it's just them being a bit crap!
same here. Have had various diagnostic testing already privately and more coming up this week. I just need to have a negative covid swab and then there are ok for me to come to the hospital premises.
Join the discussion
Please login first.