Talk

Advanced search

So much negativity

(14 Posts)
Floralapron Mon 08-Jun-20 16:47:50

Not on here specifically, but on Facebook mainly. When something positive is posted like the low death rate today, so many people reply saying “it’s only low because it’s a weekend, it’ll go up tomorrow”. “There’s a second wave coming soon”. “Just wait two weeks after all the protesting this weekend”.
Why can’t people take some joy in positivity and things looking like they may be improving/moving forward?

OP’s posts: |
Lynda07 Mon 08-Jun-20 16:50:43

I suppose so, they are probably afraid of being too optimistic - especially as one day we are told the infection rate is down and the next, it's up. Even a dip in deaths is nothing to rejoice about, there are still plenty. It's useful to see an improvement though, as long as it is sustained.

Bol87 Mon 08-Jun-20 18:56:43

People like misery it seems..

I also think people have been made to feel so frightened that it plays into their rhetoric. People are really anxious (me included at times) & the threat of second waves & things not actually improving justifies their worries & want to stay at home.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-20 18:59:09

It's got to the point where people don't know if they can be hopeful or not so it's easier to think the worst and then it's a bonus if that doesn't happen.

The daily figures are quite erratic even though the overall trend is downward.

FangsForTheMemory Mon 08-Jun-20 19:01:09

They're not negative, they're realists.

nellodee Mon 08-Jun-20 19:07:04

I'm a real dyed in the wool lock-down-til-it's-safer, but even I think that there are signs of promising improvement in the figures (though it feels a little disrespectful to say any fatality figure is good news - not having a dig, just being careful with my own words). Scotland having no deaths for two consecutive days is definitely amazing news.

Kcnana Mon 08-Jun-20 19:07:12

Totally agree with you OP. I think we might see a change perhaps when the furlough scheme is coming to an end!

Everyone seems intent in dragging on this miserable way of life for as long as they can.

user1493494961 Mon 08-Jun-20 19:10:43

Also in agreement OP.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-20 19:11:43

Everyone seems intent in dragging on this miserable way of life for as long as they can.

People that are shielding aren't. People that are still not at work and homeschooling etc, I don't think they are dragging on, more just getting on with it.

frozendaisy Mon 08-Jun-20 19:45:03

I thought it was optimistic news still not great but hey it is improving. Daily briefing little more positive than previously. Still think this school year is to be written off, summer will be restricted but on the whole active cases, numbers testing positive and deaths are coming down isn't this the point?

DBML Mon 08-Jun-20 19:50:07

The media (mainly tv) tend to sell bad news. It makes people anxious and keeps them locked on to the channel. Great for ratings. Not so good for people.

ragged Mon 08-Jun-20 20:16:37

Find the dementors threads, OP. It's a merciful release from the negativity.

KenDodd Mon 08-Jun-20 20:19:45

A lower death rate is great news.

More really good news, 23 countries and territories around the world have completely eradicated covid. New Zealand did today, I think Iceland will soon.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Jun-20 20:22:31

I do think there's a middle ground.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »