Talk

Advanced search

Protests - why aren’t police wearing masks

(44 Posts)
TingTastic Sun 07-Jun-20 21:13:29

From the footage I’ve seen, police attending the protests in London aren’t wearing masks. This is despite being elbow to elbow with their colleagues and nose to nose with protestors. Surely this is incredibly risky? Why wouldn’t they be wearing protective equipment?

OP’s posts: |
DamitJanet Sun 07-Jun-20 21:31:15

Round here (rural) they’re supplied with one disposable mask per shift so they don’t generally wear one on duty. That said, policing a riot is very different so surprised they not wearing them on the whole.

pontypridd Mon 08-Jun-20 05:34:56

Police have never worn masks.
It’s been a mystery to me since this started.

DH and I have always joked they must have been vaccinated.

ChocolatelyAsFuck Mon 08-Jun-20 05:37:58

Some of them are and some of them aren’t. I don’t know why. Either it’s personal choice, or possibly they want to have their faces free because they think it will benefit in a different way.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:35:10

I understand that face coverings could impede their work, but clear plastic visors would work in this regard and I don’t see any good reason why they can’t wear those.

It seems there’s a macho disregard by the Police for Covid, as though they are somehow “above it” and somehow immune from catching it and passing it on to others. It’s typical of the UK’s lackadaisical response to Covid compared to elsewhere.

Earlybirdey Mon 08-Jun-20 07:37:13

It seems there’s a macho disregard by the Police for Covid, as though they are somehow “above it” and somehow immune from catching it and passing it on to others.

It's because they aren't properly equipped, if they were many would be over the moon to be able to wear them on duty rather than put themselves at risk. Blame the government rather than the police.

TheMurk Mon 08-Jun-20 07:42:00

I haven’t seen any police locally wearing masks at any point throughout the pandemic... just like not one worker in our local supermarkets have been wearing masks.

And yet they all seem okay. (Presumably, if they started to see their colleagues dropping like flies they would start wearing masks, even home made ones...)

Although in pictures of the protests I have seen some police in masks.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:43:31

It's because they aren't properly equipped, if they were many would be over the moon to be able to wear them on duty rather than put themselves at risk. Blame the government rather than the police.

Is it though? PPE was a scandal a month or so ago, but it’s largely sorted (I work with someone who’s in charge of PPE procurement for a Local
Authority) ... I’m pretty sure the Police weren’t wearing visors because the Met hadn’t ordered any.

Dozer Mon 08-Jun-20 07:43:33

It will be because their employers haven’t got the equipment sad

TheMurk Mon 08-Jun-20 07:45:34

Nothing stopping them wearing their own masks though like the rest of the population is being asked to.

BeltaneBride Mon 08-Jun-20 07:46:07

I would have thought that even in normal times they would wee visors -look at riot police in other countries eg France.

daytripper28 Mon 08-Jun-20 07:49:12

Good point OP.

It’s typical of the UK’s lackadaisical response to Covid compared to elsewhere

I think that will be your reason there ^

I chatted to my cousin in the States, and where she is, masks were mandatory from early on, and if you went to the supermarket, masks were being provided free for all who entered the store.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:50:19

Nothing stopping them wearing their own masks though like the rest of the population is being asked to.

There almost certainly is... They are in uniform and can’t accessorise like a rebellious pupil! My understanding is they have a policy of no face coverings.

Dozer Mon 08-Jun-20 07:51:19

Yes, seems likely that they’re not allowed to wear self-provided masks.

Dozer Mon 08-Jun-20 07:52:09

So it’s similar to the equipment provision failures in the NHS/care homes.

Earlybirdey Mon 08-Jun-20 07:52:24

Of course there is. The same reason as the military can't, because they have a uniform.

ChocolatelyAsFuck Mon 08-Jun-20 07:52:36

Some of the police at yesterday’s US Embassy protest were wearing masks. So I don’t think it’s lack of PPE or not being allowed.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:52:47

It will be because their employers haven’t got the equipment

No, it’s a policy decision.... as usual the UK is embarrassingly behind the curve.

ChocolatelyAsFuck Mon 08-Jun-20 07:53:26

All the police who were wearing masks were in plain black cloth masks, btw.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:55:31

So it’s similar to the equipment provision failures in the NHS/care homes.

Back in April this was an issue and major scandal. PPE has been available for weeks now... This is because the Government’s position - until last Thursday - has been the face coverings are unnecessary, even in a packed tube train!

Dozer Mon 08-Jun-20 07:55:44

A policy decision by who, police employers?

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:56:08

To clarify... unnecessary in non-clinical settings.

Derbygerbil Mon 08-Jun-20 07:57:03

A policy decision by who, police employers?

Yes, senior police officers.

AdoreTheBeach Mon 08-Jun-20 07:57:09

I think wearing a mask while being attacked by an angry mob gives the angry mob one more thing to grab on to

BlodwynBludd Mon 08-Jun-20 08:01:21

They would have to have fire proof face coverings that also couldn't be used to strangle the officers I should imagine they're difficult to procure. Anything else would be a much more immediate risk than covid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »