Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant, work, public transport

(10 Posts)
kedooo Fri 05-Jun-20 20:53:30

Hi, any advice on this would be much appreciated! I'm pregnant (24 weeks) and I've been asked to go back to work by my employer next week. I work with the public, can't do my job from home as it's customer facing and I rely on public transport to get to work as I don't drive, it's too far to walk/cycle. I told them I'm coming up to my third trimester soon and they said that the only people they're telling not to come to work are those in the very vulnerable shielded category not those in the vulnerable category (pregnant, over 70s). They've said they've put up a screen and everyone is being given face masks. I emailed my union who emailed me back with links to the RCOG website and Maternity Action website which states that the advise is pregnant women in the third trimester should work from home where possible and avoid public transport. I emailed my manager back with links to these sites and asked if it would be possible to give me alternative work from home. I guess I'll hear back Monday now but it isn't looking good. My main concern is the risk to my unborn child not myself. Again any advise please would be a help, I'm wondering whether to hand in my notice and lose my job and maternity leave or just take the risk but if something happened to my unborn child I'd never forgive myself sad

OP’s posts: |
kedooo Sat 06-Jun-20 12:23:45

Bump

Foreverbaffled Sat 06-Jun-20 12:42:44

I’m glad you’ve emailed with those links. You’re absolutely right that at 28 weeks + you are considered vulnerable and should be working from home. I would be fighting this as much as possible and ask your union to represent you if necessary.

At 24 weeks could you take some annual leave to get you closer to 28 week mark?

StatisticalSense Sat 06-Jun-20 13:01:10

YABU The key part of that is where possible. Even you admit that you can't do your job from home so what do you expect them to do?

Jingstohang Sat 06-Jun-20 13:02:38

If you cant do your job from home, what can they do? You're not shielding.

kedooo Sat 06-Jun-20 13:28:18

They can provide alternative admin work from home, I work for a large organisation where it is very quiet at the moment so can't imagine I'm desperately needed. The evidence is that in the 3rd trimester there is an increased risk and I don't feel like I want to put my unborn child at risk. Don't feel that is unreasonable at all.

CaffiSaliMali Sat 06-Jun-20 13:40:11

My employer is allowing anyone vulnerable or shielding who can't WFH for any reason - whether because their job can't be done from home, or because they can't use their reasonable adjustments at home for example - to take paid special leave. So that's people like me (eligible for flu jab), the over 70s and pregnant women.

Have a look at your company's special leave policy OP. You may be entitled to paid - or unpaid - special leave.

Have you seen your company's risk assessment for you working in the office/shop/bank/whatever it is?

If necessary seek advice from your GP as to the risk to you. If it's not safe for you to work they may sign you off. If it is safe then at least you will have some reassurance.

Foreverbaffled Sat 06-Jun-20 14:11:08

@kedooo you aren’t being remotely unreasonable flowers

kedooo Sat 06-Jun-20 15:43:22

@Foreverbaffled thank you! smile

kedooo Sat 06-Jun-20 15:45:10

@CaffiSalliMali thanks I will check about the special leave and I will talk to my gp on Monday hopefully that's a really good idea!
They're doing a risk assessment on Mon now I believe as I have asked for one so I can ask to see it when it's done

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »