Talk

Advanced search

Close Contact With Positive Case

(12 Posts)
PlutoTheDogPlanet Fri 05-Jun-20 11:02:40

If you’ve had close contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus and you have to isolate for 14 days, how likely are you to get infected during this period?

OP’s posts: |
Haenow Fri 05-Jun-20 13:41:44

How close is close contact?

Hardtoknowwhat Fri 05-Jun-20 13:48:24

Prior to lockdown, I was in close contact with a confirmed case in a close working environment. PHE were still contact tracing at this point. I was advised to isolate for 14 days. I did not develop any symptoms.

PuzzledObserver Fri 05-Jun-20 14:15:21

John Campbell’s vídeo the other day covered studies into likelihood of infection at different distances from an infected person and with and without masks. Without a mask, if you were less than a metre away from them it was 13%, at 1m 3%, and then the risk halved for every extra metre away.

A separate study showed a risk of 17% without a mask and 6% with, though the distance wasn’t specified in that one.

Neither study said how long the contact was for either, which is a bit weird given that is known to be a factor, but hey ho. Gives you some idea of the order of magnitude anyway.

Incubation period is thought to be 2-14 days, with 5-6 days being most common.

PuzzledObserver Fri 05-Jun-20 14:16:37

For contact tracing purposes, they are defining close contact as within 1m for any length of time, or 15 minutes within 2 metres.

PlutoTheDogPlanet Fri 05-Jun-20 15:14:54

So if you were 1m away (roughly) from a colleague who has since tested positively although you need to isolate it’s not 100% you will get it, or even 50%?

Haenow Fri 05-Jun-20 16:22:16

Were you in an enclosed space? How small? and for how long?
It’s not known at this point as to why some people catch the virus but some do not.
You (?) may have already had it asymptomatically.

PlutoTheDogPlanet Fri 05-Jun-20 16:42:57

In an office together for maybe 20/30 mins with door shut for a meeting. We definitely weren’t 2 meters apart but we’re at least 1.

PlutoTheDogPlanet Fri 05-Jun-20 16:43:36

*we were at least 1 meter apart that should say.

Haenow Fri 05-Jun-20 16:44:17

It’s not possible to say the percentages or likelihood, you need to self isolate for the duration, unfortunately, regardless.

PuzzledObserver Fri 05-Jun-20 16:45:02

Self isolate, try not to worry. Have you been contacted by test and trace?

PlutoTheDogPlanet Fri 05-Jun-20 16:51:51

I was contacted by my boss I don’t know if/when anyone else will be in touch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »