Talk

Advanced search

Daily numbers

(4 Posts)
Riv12345 Wed 03-Jun-20 19:56:54

Why are the daily numbers of deaths still so high?
We have been in lockdown since March, and the numbers are still high.
Even new cases are high, I dnt understand, when will they start going down?
I just want to hear something positive, considering we are in week 11 I thought it would nearly be over by now.

OP’s posts: |
QueenofmyPrinces Wed 03-Jun-20 20:26:16

I wonder the same.

A jump in deaths today too - I will be interested to see what happens over the next week or so.

MissClarke86 Wed 03-Jun-20 20:54:16

The data has to be taken with a pinch of salt - weekly dips, Tues/Weds are higher because they catch up from the weekend, bank holidays all have an effect.

I track on the NHS website which reports hospital deaths on a chart to show deaths on the day they occurred instead of the day they are reported. It’s still going down, though it has slowed/plateaued recently.

www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/06/COVID-19-total-announced-deaths-3-June-2020-1.xlsx

Cornettoninja Wed 03-Jun-20 20:58:31

The goal posts have moved multiple times with regards to cases and fatality numbers. You’re not looking at a sets of data measured consistently.

At the beginning of lockdown you were unlikely to be tested unless you had a particular travel history or presented to hospital but now it’s much easier to get a test. Deaths were only counted if they happened in hospital but are now being counted from any setting. It’s also important to understand that these can take a long time from the actual date of death to officially being declared as a covid death - months in some cases.

NHS England release their own figures which detail from what date the deaths announced that day actually happened. Although it’s only hospital deaths it gives a much clearer picture of the decline since it’s a consistent measurement.

www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »