Talk

Advanced search

What's going on with Whittey?

(65 Posts)
Barbie222 Tue 02-Jun-20 21:11:48

England's chief medical officer refused to lower the thread level on the Nando's chart and we are stuck "transitioning" down from phase 4 to phase 3.

Charts showing alert levels disappeared from daily briefing?

Are we still following any science?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/02/chris-whitty-vetoed-lowering-of-coronavirus-alert-level

OP’s posts: |
Barbie222 Tue 02-Jun-20 21:15:36

BBC also cover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52889711

OP’s posts: |
Spirallingleaves Tue 02-Jun-20 21:26:49

There’s no “science”. There’s scientists, each of whom have a different opinion and viewpoint and expertise - I can find eminent and qualified scientists who have written articles saying there will be a second wave, there won’t, there will be a vaccine, there won’t, it’s risky to lift lockdown, it isn’t....

It’s like the joke about economists - put ten in a room to discuss something and you’ll get at least eleven opinions.

All credit to him for sticking to his view, but his remit is rather narrower than that of government as a whole.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 02-Jun-20 21:35:57

According to R4 news all 4 UK chief medical officers put their collective feet down and refused to let the government fanny about with alert levels for political ends (to justify easing lockdown). So the government have quietly dropped the use of alert levels and eased lockdown anyway.
Tis a shitshow.

effingterrified Tue 02-Jun-20 21:51:31

Glad to hear that Whitty has at least taken some action to try to block the fascists in No 10 before they kill all the old and sick, as per their plan.

His role enabling them so far will mean his reputation is still trashed, but it's a slight improvement...

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 02-Jun-20 21:53:05

Good for Whitty.

RunningAwaywiththeCircus Tue 02-Jun-20 21:54:05

He’s looking like a rabbit in the headlights lately. It’s a shame because he’s had a rather stellar career until he got mixed up with this lot.

lucieee Tue 02-Jun-20 22:11:04

I must say I love him. I genuinely think I'm forming an inappropriate crush.

titchy Tue 02-Jun-20 22:25:06

Don't forget we're supposed to be at level 2 in less than two weeks wink

twinnywinny14 Tue 02-Jun-20 22:33:31

@lucieee perhaps you should join the Chris Whitty appreciation society Facebook page!!

saraclara Tue 02-Jun-20 22:44:25

Very sneakily, without anyone noticing, Rishi Sunak changed the "we're following the science" phrase, to "we're engaging with the scientists" in his briefing a few days ago.

So in other words, they're now talking with scientists, but not following their advice.

VenusTiger Tue 02-Jun-20 23:25:38

@effingterrified what a vile thing to suggest. vile.

Enterthewolves Tue 02-Jun-20 23:31:34

@venustiger not as disgusting as this government who wilfully or through ineptitude have overseen the highest death rate in Europe and seem determined to make it even worse.

effingterrified Tue 02-Jun-20 23:34:00

How interesting, Venus, that you think I am 'vile' for criticising fascism and eugenics.

But you apparently have no such hard words for the bunch of fascists and eugenicists at Number 10.

How curious.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 02-Jun-20 23:38:04

Belgium has the highest death rate in Europe, I think. Or did, last time I looked?

Legoandloldolls Tue 02-Jun-20 23:42:16

It dawned on me today that its all a bit weird that politicians drive the direction on this at all. But that's life.

I dont think Witty can come out of this badly. Hes not a politician. He has always stopped Boris in the news when he didnt agree.

He is better in the mix than out, so maybe this isnt the hill he wants to die on. He can disagree strongly without walking out on a role he is perfect for as a scientist

0v9c99f9g9d939d9f9g9h8h Tue 02-Jun-20 23:44:55

@effingterrified what a vile thing to suggest. vile.

I'm not saying I agree, but these questions need to be asked without censure in light of our death toll. The government doesn't need protecting, vulnerable people do.

runningon Tue 02-Jun-20 23:48:58

Well he will get a good book deal out of this all if nothing else.
I bet he ties the day he got involved in politics (until the book royalties come in).

runningon Tue 02-Jun-20 23:49:20

*rues

LittleMsM Tue 02-Jun-20 23:59:38

Ha, Nandos scale! I knew it reminded me of something!

xxyzz Wed 03-Jun-20 00:18:32

He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who would be very motivated by a book deal.

Chienloup Wed 03-Jun-20 00:27:40

I think him and Sir Patrick will tell their side of the story one day. They need to protect their professional credibility.

xxyzz Wed 03-Jun-20 00:43:58

It's a bit late for that!

twinnywinny14 Wed 03-Jun-20 06:40:27

@Weedsnseeds1 for deaths per million from Coronavirus yes Belgium is highest. As our excess deaths is over 60,000 we have the highest excess deaths per million in the world

FrodoTheDodo Wed 03-Jun-20 06:57:07

People really need to just look up eugenics. It doesn't mean what they think it means going by the number who keep misusing it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »