Talk

Advanced search

Claustrophobia and wearing masks..

(11 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Tue 02-Jun-20 20:00:25

Is anyone else claustrophobic and has had experience of wearing a mask for a period of time? The idea of wearing it and being on a plane gives me anxiety. We have a holiday to Lisbon booked at the beginning of August and I was fully prepared for it to be cancelled but today DH said he expects it to go ahead and we’ll have to wear masks a lot of the time including the plane.

I’m leaning towards it perhaps being better to get in touch with the tour operator and trying to cancel for a partial refund etc, but he says I’ll be fine and am overthinking it.

OP’s posts: |
Strawberrypancakes Tue 02-Jun-20 20:01:30

Just to add, I’m not too worried about the virus as my DD has it quite severely at the beginning of the outbreak and we were all mildly ill with new coughs etc the week after so I’m fairly certain we’ve had it.

noraclavicle Tue 02-Jun-20 21:04:37

I am, OP. I bought some if the close-fitting cloth ones and a cycling one with a filter and had to take them straight off. Have managed to a wear a medical-style one wear one on the bus for a short period to try & get used to it before going back to work. I don’t know how medical staff manage! Was also ill early in lockdown but am trying to build up to wearing one assuming we have to on public transport and planes. Absolutely hare it...

Strawberrypancakes Tue 02-Jun-20 23:36:58

So do you think it’s going to be worth it go get something and work up a resistance for life? When not furloughed or WFH I’m all over London tubes a few days a week...

noraclavicle Thu 04-Jun-20 19:58:43

Well we’ve got no choice now! Got to be done...

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 04-Jun-20 20:08:48

I'm lucky I don't have to use public transport but I'm panicking as work have said we have to wear masks when we go back to the office and I don't know if I can do it. DH has accepted we won't be flying anywhere while we have to wear masks!

I'm building up to going to the hairdressers but again I don't know if I can. They've told me I can was my hair myself and leave with it wet and have the first appointment to try to help. It'll be a long time before I have highlights!

puffinandkoala Thu 04-Jun-20 21:35:32

work have said we have to wear masks when we go back to the office and I don't know if I can do it

I completely agree with their use on public transport but assuming you have an office-based job, are they really expecting you to sit there for 7+ hours with a mask on? Completely unrealistic.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Thu 04-Jun-20 21:45:51

I work in a hospital we went from no masks to being in one for 11.5 hours in the space of a day. It was hard but had to be done. I would start for a couple of minutes and work up. I'm now at the point where it's the norm

noraclavicle Fri 05-Jun-20 00:10:52

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough if you can do it for 11.5 hours I think I can do it for 45 mins on the train smile

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Fri 05-Jun-20 12:36:35

You'll be fine @noraclavicle the hardest bit will be not touching it and taking it off properly

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 05-Jun-20 12:56:39

Yes, I have a normal office job. We can remove the masks temporarily at our desks providing social distancing is possible but I really don't think I can wear a mask the majority of the time so I don't know what I'll do

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »