Talk

Advanced search

We might as well cancel our uk holiday now, right? Mixing HH

(33 Posts)
SanityDecreasing Tue 02-Jun-20 12:30:02

Hi,

This August, my family, including DP, DD, DS, BIL and their 2 DCs, DM and DF, are all supposed to be going away to the coast, all staying in one house for a week.

It's just not going to happen is it?

My DM wants to hold off until the last minute and thinks there's still a chance, but there's no way we'll be allowed to mix HH by this point, is there?

Seems to me like we should just draw a line under it and let all the DCs know, so they're not gutted at the last minute.

What does anyone think? Would you cancel now?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Redolent Tue 02-Jun-20 12:31:32

The government did say that they were considering the idea of allowing a bubble with one other household. That may happen next month, but I can’t see it being any more than that.

SanityDecreasing Tue 02-Jun-20 12:33:12

@Redolent, where did you see this? That's news to me!

OP’s posts: |
Redolent Tue 02-Jun-20 12:36:14

SanityDecreasing

**@Redolent**, where did you see this? That's news to me!

When they issued the lockdown roadmap in May, that document said they were actively considering the New Zealand ‘bubble’ concept. It’s not guaranteed that they will implement it, but I don’t think they’ve ruled it out yet.

SanityDecreasing Tue 02-Jun-20 12:39:34

Ah, ok. When I hear "bubble" now, I assume they're still including SD rules.

OP’s posts: |
MrAlyhakinsMassiveYacht Tue 02-Jun-20 12:43:37

We have to pay our final installment for our Cornwall holiday in 2 weeks - I hope the government makes its mind up soon as the holiday company has very mixed reviews for giving actual money back so far.

noraclavicle Tue 02-Jun-20 12:44:36

I wouldn’t cancel anything until the last minute you’re able to do so, OP. The situation now may well not be the situation in August.

SanityDecreasing Tue 02-Jun-20 13:08:01

Thanks @Redolent. Will do a bit of reading.

@MrAlyhakinsMassiveYacht, are you supposed to be going away with mixed HH too?

@noraclavicle, I thought that Matt Hancock said it was highly unlikely we'd be mixing HH or specifically, hugging anyone, until there's a vaccine....which the government have admitted, may never happen hmm

OP’s posts: |
KitchenConfidential Tue 02-Jun-20 13:10:14

August is a full two months away!!! I wouldn’t make any decisions yet.

Mrsjayy Tue 02-Jun-20 13:15:02

Don't cancel just yet you might not get a refund for a start and August is 2 months away I really think you should play it by ear are you in England travelling to England? The opening up is further on so by August they might be allowed to mix HH by then.

whatnametopick Tue 02-Jun-20 13:15:55

Reading the released SAGE minutes it looks unlikely that the bubble idea would be ok'd. Apparently it would course too many interactions etc.

noraclavicle Tue 02-Jun-20 13:18:57

SanityDecreasing I wouldn’t rely on anything Matt Hancock telling us now to be the case next week, never mind August!

LisaSimpsonsbff Tue 02-Jun-20 13:23:45

Surely you can tell the kids that you don't think it'll happen, to stop them getting their hopes up, but not actually cancel? I agree with other people that you want the company to be forced to cancel it, not you voluntarily doing so as it'll make it easier to get money back, but I also see why you feel it's cruel to let the DC think it's definitely happening

Mrsjayy Tue 02-Jun-20 13:27:24

I would at least wait till mid July and see what's what the kids and adults are going to be disappointed anyway so now or then it won't be that much difference, depending on their ages you could tell them it is a wait and see so preparing them .

Bluewarbler27 Tue 02-Jun-20 13:27:54

I wouldn’t cancel. August is 2 months away. Numbers are dropping nicely.

I won’t be getting any vaccine and nor will A lot of people so that seems a stupid statement from MH.

Angel2702 Tue 02-Jun-20 13:31:13

We are supposed to be going away with my parents. With the bubble idea I thought we’d be ok, but if that doesn’t happen we won’t be able to go. We have to make a final decision by 15th June.

DBML Tue 02-Jun-20 13:36:45

Matt Hancock says a lot of things. A few weeks ago he said he doubts there would be any holidays abroad this year and now he’s saying that he wouldn’t rule out July.

Just wait and see.

ohtheholidays Tue 02-Jun-20 13:37:53

No I wouldn't cancel right now,we waited until our holiday place(that was for the Easter holidays)cancelled,that way we didn't lose our money.

I would leave it for now and see what the owners of the property say nearer the time,fingers crossed by some miracle things will be alot better by august and you all get to have your lovely holiday but if not if the place cancels you should get your money back or at least be offered a chance to change the booking for another time.

Good luck,fingers crossed for you that you all get to have your holiday.

SanityDecreasing Tue 02-Jun-20 13:47:24

@Mrsjayy, yes - from England, staying in England.

@LisaSimpsonsbff, that is basically what we have said, but I suppose I just don't want to keep her hopes alive, if the chances are very remote. I'm probably over thinking that, because we're also trying to move and there are no guarantees with that either, so just feel a bit bad for her I guess.

OP’s posts: |
CherrySpritz Tue 02-Jun-20 13:47:49

If MH really did say that then we can kiss goodbye to mixing households for the rest of our lives. There may never be an effective vaccine.

bellinisurge Tue 02-Jun-20 14:06:43

We've cancelled our UK self catering holiday because the thought of trying to wrangle food shopping and social distancing and sight seeing in an unfamiliar spot sounds ghastly. I don't want to pay to be a guinea pig holiday maker.
We're just going to rely on day trips from home. A few big road trips - early start/late return.

bumblingbovine49 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:47:55

Surely the bigger issue at the moment is you are not allowed to stay anywhere overnight, regardless of household mixing?

In any case, I imagine that will change in a day or two !! (OK OK in the next month anyway)

Angel2702 Tue 02-Jun-20 15:54:19

bumblingbovine49

Surely the bigger issue at the moment is you are not allowed to stay anywhere overnight, regardless of household mixing?

In any case, I imagine that will change in a day or two !! (OK OK in the next month anyway)

We’ve been told holiday from 5th July are expected to go ahead.

PopandFizz Tue 02-Jun-20 15:56:13

Looking at your post I'm guessing it's at least 3 HH that would be mixing?
I would contact the house owners or whoever you booked it through and check their policies and dates for cancellation. I agree with those saying tell the kids it isnt happening and you can always go back and say it is. No built up Hope's then.
If you say maybe it will be worse I think, depending how old they are.

Hope it can go ahead for you

WingingIt101 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:32:56

We are in a similar boat - mixed HH holiday every year to Wales from England.
We are worried as Wales are releasing more slowly but hopeful that August is far enough away!

Thankfully we have just had dd so dh and I booked a separate house to the main one everyone else is in so if they allow holidays but not mixed hh we may just get away with it, even if it means nobody else is there and we have a break just the three of us.
It’s what’s keeping me going so I have to stay hopeful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »