Talk

Advanced search

Babysitting/childcare

(10 Posts)
Nochangeplease Mon 01-Jun-20 20:40:30

Can anybody please link me to any guidance about family providing childcare? I can’t find anything. It would not be for work reasons but I’m guessing there’s some exceptions where it would be ok?

OP’s posts: |
LouiseTrees Mon 01-Jun-20 23:00:24

Having read the guidance it seems to only be for work related purposes as the general advice is still to socially distance from anyone not in your household. Is there a specific reason you ask eg mental health problem of the parent, interview, study, trying to find work?

pfrench Mon 01-Jun-20 23:07:46

Read Regulation 7 of the new laws and find the one that fits your needs.

Then risk assess the situation and use your common sense.

pfrench Mon 01-Jun-20 23:11:25

Reg 7) (2) d) ... work or voluntary or charitable services

Or

(2) d) (iv) to provide emergency assistance. Make some shit up if caught.

Nochangeplease Tue 02-Jun-20 19:00:06

I can’t find any of this stuff. I’m usually quite good on the internet believe it or not.

Nochangeplease Tue 02-Jun-20 19:07:36

It’s actually stressing me out that I can’t find any of the things you are referring to. I’m obviously looking at the wrong thing. If anyone can send a link that would be great.

nannynick Tue 02-Jun-20 19:42:10

Number 7 in this document says "Paid for childcare"
www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

Section 2 in this document says "Objective: That everyone should work from home, unless they cannot work from home."
www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

So I would say that a nanny someone had prior to lockdown is ok as that is paid for childcare. That nanny could be a family member though would not be providing childcare under the definition in Childcare Act 2006.

Exceptional circumstances such as a women going into labour and needing someone to care for their children I expect would come under some exemption. I would like to know where to find those exemptions... anyone know... or are people just going to use common sense and not put children at risk by leaving them home alone.

There is no guidance about family providing childcare. There is very little about in-home childcare at all.

As a children's nanny I have continued working throughout lockdown for existing employers who are critical workers and restarted with non-critical workers in early May when there was a change to the Outbreak FAQ making it clear that "If you provide paid-for childcare in a child’s home, you can go to your place of work - this is in line with
Government guidance that you can travel to work if working from home is not possible." Subsequently that has been removed from the Outbreak FAQ but it now says "you may still travel to work if you cannot reasonably work from home" which a in-home childcare provider can't do as they cannot care for children in their [the providers] home.

nannynick Tue 02-Jun-20 19:46:59

Regulation 7 is here: www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/7

Nochangeplease Tue 02-Jun-20 20:11:46

Thank you very much I’ll have a look.

Looneytune253 Tue 02-Jun-20 21:30:21

It's not in there because it's not currently 'allowed' even for work it's technically not allowed for family to watch your children. Paid childcare is now allowed back but there are lots of rules and regulations to make it safer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »