Talk

Advanced search

The new regulations (no. 3 regs)

(2 Posts)
Xenia Mon 01-Jun-20 15:34:52

Just in case of interest note that form today in England the amendments to the regulations apply

Summary
"These Regulations further amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 (S.I. 2020/350). They amend regulation 4 to permit certain businesses to open for the training of elite athletes. They amend regulation 5 to clarify that places of worship and community centres may be used to provide early years childcare. Regulation 6 is replaced by a prohibition on staying overnight in a place other than where a person lives, without reasonable excuse. Regulation 7 is replaced by more detailed provision on prohibited gatherings, and amendments are made to Schedule 2. Consequential amendments are made to regulation 8 to reflect the amendments to regulations 6 and 7, and transitional and saving provision is made by regulation 3 of these Regulations. "

See The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2020

Regulations 6 and 7 may be the most relevant:-

The notes say "Regulation 6 which previously contained a restriction on leaving home without reasonable excuse is substituted by a Regulation to provide that no person may stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living except with reasonable excuse, specific examples of which are given."

So that presumably means you can go out for any reason at all if you do not stay the night there? That sounds a vast improvement in this awful lockdown which I oppose but follow.

"Regulation 7 is amended to state that no person may participate in a gathering which is in outdoor space (public or private) with more than six people from different households, subject to specific exceptions. Regulation 7 is amended to state that there can be no indoor public gatherings of 2 people or more from different households, subject to specific exceptions. Regulation 7 is amended to define what is meant by a gathering. "

Okay so reg 6 was in the original regs and was the one about when you can go out - the imprisonment clause. In England it allowed you out to exercise any number of times (Welsh leg. was only once a day) and to work etc . So reg 6 has entirely gone. In its place we have a new reg 6.

So it seems there is no restriction on going out at all. The only restriction is about whom you meet when you are out there and this new bit about staying the night "6.—(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living." (and then exceptions - funerals etc)."

This immediately makes the university issue difficult - thousands of students are at home and their possessions will be sold off on 1 July if they don't move them and many cannot afford to pay companies to pick it up. This one might be useful - you can stay somewhere else " P needs to stay elsewhere while moving house;"

You can also stay over night for work purposes so I suppose if you are looking after your 5 luxury homes you let out occasionally for tax purposes you can probably now flit between those as that is "work".

This bit is useful for lawyers - "P needs to stay elsewhere to fulfil a legal obligation or participate in legal proceedings"

There is a big change in reg 7 - you can gather indoor or outdoors in any number at all for work purposes ("reasonably necessary for work purposes"). Well, there are so many bits of work where big conferences are necessary you could probably put 100 people together in a hall and may be okay under reg 7 even although whether that is wise is another matter.

So if you go out generally and the police stop you and say where are you going. You can say I am not going to be spending the night away and the regulations changed on 1 June to permit me to be out alone without needing any reason at all for that.

The sooner we remove all the legal restrictions the better.

There are also some changes in the types of places which can open up.

OP’s posts: |
Betty98 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:22:09

Thank you, good to know. Whatever the side of lockdown we are, we must familiarise ourself with the law.

I think the university thing should be OK as moving house has always been an exception?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »