Talk

Advanced search

Going between 2 homes

(13 Posts)
Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 13:41:09

I am confused.
Reading about the young girl who used to be in Eastenders. It said she is 'Going between the 2 homes' as in staying at her family home with her husband then going to her other house to get some space.
I thought that was not allowed (Going to second homes and staying overnight).
I say this because I have been staying with DP and his kids since late March. I need to check on my home which is 3 hours away but haven't because I know I would thennot be allowed back to my partners.
Can anyone clarify?

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Sat 30-May-20 18:25:23

If your house is empty, and if you are in England, then yes, you can travel to do that.
If you are in Wales they are encouraging everyone to stay within about 5 miles of where you are living. Not sure of the rules in NI or Scotland. Each of the home nations have different rules.
Obviously different again outside the UK.

Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 18:32:23

But can I then travel back to my partners home and stay overnight of a weekend? (What I was doing before)?

BackforGood Sat 30-May-20 19:29:22

If you are living with your partner, then that is 'your home'.
If you travel to your (former) home, which is empty, then you aren't mixing with other people anyway, so there is no risk to you going back to your (current) home and family.

MajesticWhine Sat 30-May-20 19:35:28

I don't know officially. But using common sense, it would seem fine as you do not encounter another person by doing this.

Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 19:45:48

Yes,it would only be me going back to my property. Nobody else lives there.
I don't really want to go back but haven't been there since late March and need to check on it.

NoHardSell Sat 30-May-20 19:51:54

Nobody cares. Who is going to stop you? Do it if you want, don't if you don't.

Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 19:58:49

I just didn't want to get in trouble or breach the rules

Musicforsmorks Sat 30-May-20 21:32:15

I have lived 70 miles away with partner since lockdown.
Absolutely have to go back home now to see to vital things.
So we go there soon and maybe return to his home again a few Weeks later.

This is the only way we can manage to run our lives, although during full lockdown I would not have done it.
I rent, so we’re not 2nd home owners, but I dare say it’s the same thing regarding travel.

Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 21:57:40

I am a home owner, he is not.
I would have him come back with me but he has 50/50 custody of his daughter (He and ex swap care every 2 days) so that won't work sadly. I think I will have to go back alone, spend the week there and then come back at weekend's. I don't want to leave DP and kids but the house has been sitting there unoccupied since March

Musicforsmorks Sat 30-May-20 22:04:14

OP I think you are wise to go, many people are flouting distancing rules and you don’t sound like one of them!
Do what you need to do, and take care x

Rainbow12e Sat 30-May-20 22:20:03

Thank you. I will see if DP is willing to let his DD go to her mum's for the week and he can then come with me.
I know some people will frown upon what we are doing so we will just keep it to ourselves. People are being very judgemental at the moment.

RainbowMum11 Sun 31-May-20 00:01:22

The issue is that if your other property is in a rural/semi rural area then there aren't necessarily the shop supplies and medical facilities should you become unwell - areas with a lot of second/holiday homes generally don't have the infrastructure available to cope with an influx of people, especially at times like this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »