Talk

Advanced search

Anyone concerned this is our one chance?

(19 Posts)
EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 11:46:45

To see family members who live far away. If they can come for the day, use the loo and then drive home.

I'm worried with schools back and many people going overboard with new restrictions we're going to have another peak for a while sad Even if it's 'allowed' it may feel less safe again?

I can't see when the government are going to say "you can now visit relatives in a different part of the country and stay overnight". I just don't logistically see how this will happen? Yes the economy will open up and everything will be distanced. There may be mini peaks regionally (again meaning it's hard to travel across the country). But to be able to obviously hug and spend time with relatives? I don't know..

EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 11:47:28

I think they won't recommend that for a long time. And another greater peak in Autumn.

CovidicusRex Fri 29-May-20 11:47:50

Lots of people I know have visited relatives throughout this. It’s not exactly been enforced.

Somerville Fri 29-May-20 11:49:10

Yes I think lots of people will be rushing to fit in seeing all loved ones that they can in fear of lockdown happening again pretty soon, either nationally or locally. Which is a worry, since it’s better to space out seeing people from different households.

EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 11:49:33

I just feel like what are we continuing to wait for? The cases won't continue to decrease. So what is it? Unless you actually wait for a vaccine.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I also have a science background and saw the virus coming a mile off when everyone else kept saying "it's just flu." sad

pfrench Fri 29-May-20 11:50:19

Yep, I used my instinct and my own common sense, and visited my parents with my child last week and this week. My partner has taken her to meet his parents today. Once everyone is back at school and work, the risk factors go up for our parents. We know at the moment we are as safe as we can be/as safe as they've made themselves. Grown up choices.

EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 11:50:59

@CovidicusRex I know, but it could also get worse again. It's trying to work out whether it's worth the risk of going up to the PIL who are desperate to see their only grandchild who they've barely seen since birth. sad if not now, when?

EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 11:51:44

Also I'm genuinely thinking about risk too. Im not one who gets excited and starts doing more just because government 'ok's it. I'm aware it's political and need to look at the science for myself.

Somerville Fri 29-May-20 11:56:26

I just feel like what are we continuing to wait for? The cases won't continue to decrease. So what is it? Unless you actually wait for a vaccine.

We’re buying time for a the development of a vaccine and/or effective treatment. Sounds like you know this, and are feeling a bit defeatist right now. Can’t blame you for that - countries like South Korea that have endured hardships but experienced barely any deaths have a lot to show for their sacrifices. Whereas loads of us have made same or worse sacrifices and yet know someone who has died or is still in hospital. It’s shit. sad

CovidicusRex Fri 29-May-20 12:03:11

Well are your PIL actually at risk? Have you been isolating? When this whole thing kicked off we were due to go stay with family. We did it anyway but isolated for two weeks before seeing them just in case we’d picked it up (we flew and also it was at the point where numbers were picking up and it was clear that a lockdown was imminent, can’t remember the exact date anymore, so we didn’t want to risk bringing coronavirus with us).

EveryoneLoves09876 Fri 29-May-20 14:36:18

Everyone is at risk. They are early 60s. No known conditions as of yet, reasonably healthy. We have known reasonably healthy people to become extremely ill though.

Eckhart Fri 29-May-20 14:47:43

I think they're encouraging a peak, because they know they can just lockdown again if numbers shoot up. We're all likely to catch it at some point, aren't we? So as long as they're keeping it manageable for the NHS, it'll be about keeping the economy alive as best they can. It's not about 'Oh, doing this will make my mum really vulnerable' etc The same number of people will become ill, whatever the circumstance - they're just choosing how long it takes.

Bol87 Fri 29-May-20 14:48:11

I honestly think people are going to flock to see family this weekend! It’s the tipping point isn’t it for us opening up the ‘risk’ as schools go back & shops open.

I too feel that we are going to see another lockdown or local lockdowns.. just seems safer to do it now 🤷🏼‍♀️ I fear if we don’t see my OH parents, who live 4 hours away, now then we won’t until Christmas! 😭

BlackeyedSusan Fri 29-May-20 15:15:34

Pfrench...this point seems the most safe to me too before lot more mixing kicks off again.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 29-May-20 15:17:42

And before we all are encouraged to get out and work, school, shop etc.

BrieAndChilli Fri 29-May-20 15:30:46

DH family live in a tourist hotspot 2 hours away so will be impossible To go visit them, there is only 1 or 2 roads into thier town where police are turning people away etc, and roads are gridlocked with people Trying to go to the beach. Even if we thought we could go for a cheeky days visit it would be impossible.

ToffeeYoghurt Fri 29-May-20 15:37:30

If you're travelling from an airport you'll clearly need somewhere to stay overnight. So people could park at the airport, book an internal return flight (lots between Aberdeen and London for example), then drive from the airport to their UK destination. Which could be a relative's home.

ToffeeYoghurt Fri 29-May-20 15:39:21

@BrieAndChilli If it's in England, the police turning people away need to be reported. They're breaking the law (the police). People are allowed to drive somewhere for the day.

TheMostHappy Fri 29-May-20 15:40:52

Must admit I missed the part of the revised guidance that says you aren't allowed to visit another part of the country to visit family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »