Talk

Advanced search

Those with young children who can't social distance, will you be meeting up?

(35 Posts)
choc27 Fri 29-May-20 10:15:56

So we can meet in groups of 6, potentially see the grandparents etc. I have a 4 year old who definitely will not be able to keep 2 metres away without constantly watching him and telling him to move back. Will you still be meeting up with others if you have a young child?

OP’s posts: |
PumpkinP Fri 29-May-20 10:17:33

Yep already have

Earnsomething Fri 29-May-20 10:20:44

Mine are older but I was at a funeral yesterday, where people outside the officially invited (limited) mourners gathered along the route, 2m apart.

A few people had young children with them and it was striking, to me who hasn't seen any young children in ages, the way they were bouncing from one person to another. No one seemed concerned about it though, so I'd guess yes, their parents will be meeting other families.

TBF, I'm not sure that's the issue some people think it is. I read something published in the BMJ that said this "superspreader" thing is just not true and the risk to/from children is very small.

TempsPerdu Fri 29-May-20 10:25:57

Yes, we have done already.

RoosterPie Fri 29-May-20 10:27:26

Yes

Changedforthisman Fri 29-May-20 10:29:08

Yes I will, they can’t stay isolated for ever.

choc27 Fri 29-May-20 10:29:37

And did you try to get them to keep. 2 m distance or just let them be?

OP’s posts: |
ChippityDoDa Fri 29-May-20 10:30:29

Yes, been doing it for weeks.

ScarfLadysBag Fri 29-May-20 10:30:31

Yes, we have a friend and her little boy coming round to sit in the garden today. We adults we be SDing but we agreed it's impossible for the kids as they are only 16mo. We are both comfortable that the level of risk is very small given we have all been WFH and getting shopping delivered and the benefits outweigh it. This will be the first child my DD has interacted with in more than two months!

SimonJT Fri 29-May-20 10:37:56

I have a four year old as well, later we’re meeting a friend and my sons going to see his Grandma for the first time since March. We have all been strict with isolating, we haven’t even been to shops as we have been able to get online deliveries. As a result my son will be allowed to hug his grandma and my friend without being an infection risk.

10storeylovesong Fri 29-May-20 10:51:53

We have met with my mum on the park with ds7 and ds2. They both understand and kept 2 m apart. I reminded them a couple of times and then they just did it instinctively.

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito Fri 29-May-20 10:55:36

Yes. Already have. Will hopefully be able to do more now.

Lucked Fri 29-May-20 10:58:02

If in a relatives garden could you not put some chairs and a table in the way. (I can’t remember if you are allowed into gardens yet in England.)

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito Fri 29-May-20 11:01:32

If in a relatives garden could you not put some chairs and a table in the way. (I can’t remember if you are allowed into gardens yet in England.)

How lovely for them. Wave at each other across the barricades, children! We can pretend it's Berlin before the wall came down!

notalwaysalondoner Fri 29-May-20 11:01:49

We’ve had my cousins over with an 18 month old and it is possible to keep them away. Heartbreaking but possible. Some tips:
- physical barrier is the kindest way for the child to be honest. Make a barrier out of chairs or a fire guard before they come over
- make it a game: every time they go near the person, pick them up and swoop them away

But it’s up to you on the risk you think there is. If there’s no one vulnerable then you might all agree you don’t care.

EyeDrops Fri 29-May-20 11:07:08

Not yet. We all (family incl. grandparents) agree it would be more upsetting to be near them but try to keep distance. My parents are both vulnerable due to health conditions so I don't want to chance it.

However, we have been pretty much isolating so I'm very tempted to just go for it before DD1 starts school on the 8th, and just let them hug as much as they want. I'm not sure yet.

Enormouscroc Fri 29-May-20 13:39:06

I'm so tempted to let my nearly 3 year old hug my parents. We haven't seen them since March and prior to this they looked after my DD once a week, so she's v close to them and it would be difficult to tell her she can't. We've all been following the guidance to the letter so far. I don't respect this government's handling of the situation and have no confidence in their measures. The BMJ has an interesting opinion piece on children re spreading the virus and also the effects on children if they get it, which has given me some reassurance. My parents aren't in any vulnerable categories. Going to speak to my husband about it but I think I'm happy for her to see my parents without social distancing.

Bol87 Fri 29-May-20 14:34:49

I’m seeing my in-laws this weekend & I won’t be getting my 3 year old to socially distance (adults will be). If she can go back to nursery & cuddle her key worker, then she can give her grandparents a hug! Doing it this weekend before nursery starts again & we have more risk. We’ve followed the rules to the letter so far, as have my in-laws. The chances of either of us having it at are extremely low & none of us are vulnerable..

Weighed up the risk. Using my common sense. In-laws live 4 hours away and are making a day trip 😱 travelling very early morning & then home once DD has gone to bed!

Opticabbage Fri 29-May-20 14:51:32

I'm glad someone else asks this. We've not seen any friends or family as I know my toddler will find keeping his distance difficult and most likely upsetting. He is at nursery though, so I feel more responsibility to keep contact minimal for nursery staff.

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito Fri 29-May-20 14:57:10

www.smh.com.au/world/europe/experts-fail-to-find-a-single-case-of-children-passing-virus-to-adults-20200430-p54ohi.html

Zero cases of children passing Corona to adults. Let kids play. Probably don't lick them/ each other. Wash hands regularly.

stargirl1701 Fri 29-May-20 15:05:03

Yes. I'm in Scotland. The advice for schools is that it is inappropriate to ask young children to practise social distancing. I'm happy for my DC to play with other DC.

My DC are playing with another family's DC right now. As I understand things, 1 household may mix with 1 other household outdoors. Adults, teens and older children should stay 2m from each other.

We will not be meeting the DGPs though. The risk for them is too high.

savehalloween Fri 29-May-20 15:15:53

Yes. I will also be resuming the childcare setup I had with my mum as I need to go back to work.

I don't see how it's any different from her hugging a nursery keyworker, in fact it's less "risky" given it's 1:1 only

Drivingdownthe101 Fri 29-May-20 15:16:52

Yes. My 6 and 4 year olds can socially distance but my 16 month old (obviously) can’t. We will still be meeting.

howlatthetrees Fri 29-May-20 15:17:21

Yes

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 29-May-20 16:17:20

Yes we have already. It's impossible to police, the risks is small and the benefits for them are huge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »