Talk

Advanced search

Masks

(4 Posts)
yzme Fri 29-May-20 08:21:27

I’ve been in a bit of of a bubble the last few weeks as I’m on maternity leave so I’ve been spending lots of time in the garden l, going for walks early/late or on routes I know will not be busy and doing click and collect for shopping etc. trying to enjoy time with my baby as much as possible before going back to work. I’m not sure if I have missed something in relation to the effectiveness of masks as I thought they weren’t that effective and were advised when 2 metres can’t be kept such as on public transport.

Yesterday I had to pop to the supermarket to get a few essentials that didn’t warrant a click and collect. When queueing there were two people behind me wearing masks (dust masks), not keeping any distance. I asked them to move back and they looked at me like I had two head. After asking them multiple times then final moved but when leaving they did not keep there distance from the person serving. Have I missed something on the effectiveness of masks?

OP’s posts: |
PuppyPuppy Fri 29-May-20 08:26:55

The government message - wear masks when you can’t keep your distance - seems to have been interpreted as wear a mask and you no longer need to social distance.

In countries where mask wearing is part of their preventive measures its alongside distancing and hand washing.

Yet another example of the government’s advice being wishy-washy to the point where it’s easily misinterpreted.

Kelsoooo Fri 29-May-20 08:32:16

You haven't missed anything.

This is exactly why the government didn't want to recommend masks. People assume they're in place of distancing.

We've been provided them for work (we go into supermarkets to merchandise and stuff as brand reps) I've stopped wearing one because as soon as it's on, people are happy to literally put their hand in front of my face and touch me for my attention. When I'm not wearing one, people keep their distance and ask me to move (which I'm very happy to do). I've noticed the same of other mask wearers, when they're wearing one....fuck everyone else.

Pipandmum Fri 29-May-20 08:38:51

The advice from the government is clear. Wearing a mask does not mean you can ignore the 2m rule. But your example is one of the reasons they haven't made masks mandatory: people get too complacent.
There obviously some places where it is extremely difficult to maintain a 2m distance (public transport for example) and enclosed spaces also pose a higher risk. Therefore the recommendation to wear a mask in those situations. But that does not mean wearing a mask means ignoring the 2m rule if you can keep your distance.
People complain of the nanny state but can't seem to understand basic rules.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »