Talk

Advanced search

Washing shopping

(16 Posts)
Abbccc Thu 28-May-20 21:03:12

I have seen threads about this before, but can't find any. I know lots of people think it's not necessary to wipe/wash shopping, but on the BBC website today it says:

There is a small potential risk of contamination if the food or packaging has been handled by someone who has tested positive.Online shopping customers are generally advised toleave packaged goods for 72 hours if possible before handling them, or to spray and wipe plastic or glass containers with diluted bleach.Unwrapped fresh goods should be washed under running water and left to dry.

OP’s posts: |
Lovely1a2b3c Thu 28-May-20 21:28:44

Thanks OP. We've been wiping ours- can you post the BBC link as I can't see it.

EvilTwins Thu 28-May-20 21:30:58

Haven’t wiped or quarantined any shopping. No sign of any illness in our house.

howdidwegetheremary Thu 28-May-20 21:35:25

I saw the threads on here re washing shopping and a lot seemed to think it was unnecessary however, I’ve seen that article in the BBC a number of times so decided to carry on wiping mine with Dettol wipes which I’ve been doing for months. If I can eliminate even a slight risk I will.

Llamapolice Thu 28-May-20 21:36:30

It's about what you consider worth doing relative to the risk of infection though isn't it. My DP is vulnerable but we're still not doing this because the risk of transmission this way is tiny and it's a big hassle (we have a toddler and a tiny flat). I've no problem if others want to do it but not sure I'd agree it's "advisable", I suppose that depends how you assess risk really.

Abbccc Thu 28-May-20 21:44:00

It's in the Coronavirus explained section, "NHS scammers and other questions".

OP’s posts: |
Holothane Thu 28-May-20 21:45:13

Haven’t done anything like this no illness in our flat.

Topseyt Thu 28-May-20 21:46:25

I'm vulnerable though no shielding type of vulnerable.

I haven't done things like wash down my shopping or quarantine my post. Totally impractical and unnecessary, in my opinion. I decided early on that that way lay madness so I didn't start.

I just wash my hands after putting the shopping away.

Frozenveggista Thu 28-May-20 22:32:26

We wipe any packages that come into the house with hot soapy cloth including groceries. We are all at home shopping has been delivered it’s our most plausible chance of catching it.

Realitea Thu 28-May-20 22:32:29

I wash every item with soapy water. It takes ages but it’s just routine now and I want to eliminate any risk.

PasserbyEffect Thu 28-May-20 22:32:37

For us: quarantine for a few days, yes (we have a fridge/freezer in the garage), wipe down, not really (too much faff... too hard to buy wipes at the moment, and CBA to make our own from diluted bleach)

I agree that: if you can, why not (it would definitely reduce your personal risk)
but if it's unpractical given your circumstances... it's a bit like "breast VS bottle" (the latter is not ideal, but still be OK, and in the great scheme of things, it's just one of many things you may or may not do to optimise your personal situation, so not worth agonising over)

IncrediblySadToo Thu 28-May-20 22:44:16

@Abbccc
Yes, it's been advised By various virologists/scientists since the beginning But unfortunately lots on MN just see it as a puss taking opportunity to sneer & be nasty. You can't argue with people like that

I'm vulnerable, it might not be a huge risk, but it's a risk I can eliminate and I refuse to be made to feel stupid for doing so. Despite many telling me I'm nuts/batshit/ridiculous/Mad/lacking in critical thinking ability/stupid etc etc

One thing I'd like to correct though is that it should read 'Handled by someone with Corona Virus' the testing is irrelevant.

Lavenderblues Thu 28-May-20 22:50:05

I just wash my hands after putting the shopping away.

But the virus will still be on the item of food or packaging.

Voice0fReason Thu 28-May-20 23:08:13

The risk is a theoretical risk but there doesn't seem to be any indication that the virus has actually been transmitted this way.
We haven't washed any shopping.

RoxyTheProssie Thu 28-May-20 23:17:02

Yeah no. The 3 of us live in a tiny 2 bedroom flat. No way am I leaving my shopping just sitting there for 72 hours.

Flittingabout Thu 28-May-20 23:21:28

I've been doing this because it was the only way I would have caught the virus so it reduced my risk significantly.

I have washed anything that had to go in the fridge or freezer. Everything else sat waiting 72 hours under my bed each time.

I will keep doing it until I can safely get to a contact free farm shop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »