Talk

Advanced search

Scientists can't answer a political issue

(17 Posts)
EveryoneLoves09876 Thu 28-May-20 19:50:18

So he admitted it was all about politics? And that the reason he wasn't asked to leave was due to politics?

I do wonder what the scientists really feel about all of this.

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneLoves09876 Thu 28-May-20 19:50:36

(Cummings, obviously)

EwwSprouts Thu 28-May-20 19:54:31

Works for me if special advisors with history degrees aren't allowed to interfere in science guidance.

EveryoneLoves09876 Thu 28-May-20 19:58:53

It's the other way round though!

WhiteChocTwix Thu 28-May-20 20:05:04

I can't work out if the scientists told Boris beforehand "Your mess we're not dealing with it" or whether he surpressed their opinions. I would love to know what they really think. Sir P and CW are the two I like to listen to. Still feels like institutional whitewashing on a grand scale.

tabulahrasa Thu 28-May-20 20:09:15

WhiteChocTwix

I can't work out if the scientists told Boris beforehand "Your mess we're not dealing with it" or whether he surpressed their opinions. I would love to know what they really think. Sir P and CW are the two I like to listen to. Still feels like institutional whitewashing on a grand scale.

I kind of assume they weren’t willing to lie, so it was decided between them all that they’d just not answer instead.

EveryoneLoves09876 Thu 28-May-20 20:11:16

Which is awful!

PurpleDaisies Thu 28-May-20 20:12:32

This was reminiscent of something trump would do and absolutely not something a British prime minister should be doing.

WhiteChocTwix Thu 28-May-20 20:15:12

@tabulahrasa I think you're right! It says a lot they didn't come out in defence of DC.

NotAnotherUserNumber Thu 28-May-20 20:18:14

CW and PV are civil servants, it isn’t their job to have to comment on this stupid mess.

Artinsurance Thu 28-May-20 20:21:47

I got the impression that Chris Whitt's was very angry when he responded that he didn't want to be drawn into anything political.

AgeLikeWine Thu 28-May-20 20:24:54

I’m a science graduate, and If I were in Whitty or Vallance’s position I would most certainly refuse to defend or justify Cummings’ behaviour, so I don’t blame them for refusing to answer questions about it.

PurpleDaisies Thu 28-May-20 20:26:52

CW and PV are civil servants, it isn’t their job to have to comment on this stupid mess.

Yes but they should (and later did) say that for themselves. It’s not for Boris to forbid questions like that to be asked of them.

WhiteChocTwix Thu 28-May-20 20:37:54

I would have thought given we're all following actions that are driven by science the scientists ought to have been able to speak about the whole episode freely?

verybritishproblems Thu 28-May-20 20:40:05

I think as civil servants both Vallance & Whitty have to remain impartial and stick to facts rather than opinions.

EveryoneLoves09876 Thu 28-May-20 20:43:45

I agree about being impartial and talking about the science, but wasn't the question about science?

Boris basically admitted it was political and not science based which said it all I thought.

RoseAndRose Thu 28-May-20 20:47:04

I expect we shall, one day maybe far in the future, find out what sterling work the scientists did in preventing the worst options, by staying 'within the tent'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »