Talk

Advanced search

Meeting in social bubbles dilemma

(35 Posts)
Rainbow12e Wed 27-May-20 13:35:43

So you can meet 2 other families but with social distancing, is this correct?
I wonder how my partner and I will navigate this. I have moved in with him over lockdown. He has 2 kids living with him (One under 18) both with different mums. So my question is-
1. All four of us have a separate family from the one we are living with, how on earth do we choose?
2. As my partners DD goes between our house and her mum's, does this mean we can only see one other household?

It's going to be difficult. DP is desperate to see his sister's, I am desperate to see my daughter/grandkids and dps eldest wants to see his mum.....

OP’s posts: |
toolatetooearly Wed 27-May-20 13:37:40

Nothing has been announced yet, it's all speculation right now....

SunshineSmellsLikeSummer Wed 27-May-20 15:00:16

For the purposes of an announcement like this, should it occur, I would consider you all to be one extended household.

thefuriousfuggler Wed 27-May-20 15:10:23

So you can meet 2 other families but with social distancing, is this correct?

Where do you live?
Where have you got this information from?

Rainbow12e Wed 27-May-20 15:32:57

In UK.
I just thought that you had to pick 2 other households only. In our case we all want to see people who live in at least 4 different houses

GeriGeranium Wed 27-May-20 15:34:08

It’s just speculation so far.

Wait till the government actually announces the new rules, then decide.

There has been no announcement saying you can choose two households, it’s just rumours.

NerrSnerr Wed 27-May-20 15:34:48

Nothing has been announced. You'll have to wait for them to announce and they'll hopefully me specific with the rules.

Pipandmum Wed 27-May-20 15:40:04

It will be clarified but I thought it was ONE other household. And you can't choose one for a weekend and see another household the next. So my friend may choose her parents and that's it - her husband can't choose his too.
I don't have a family near me so do not have this dilemma - we will be sticking to our own household only (as my friends will choose their own families). But it wont be long before they abandon this and open it up to 'gathering of ten or fewer' without bothering about 'households'.

thefuriousfuggler Wed 27-May-20 16:09:30

I just thought that you had to pick 2 other households only

But who has said this?

The government seem to change their minds every day.

Worry about stuff that is actually real.

Stuckforthefourthtime Wed 27-May-20 16:10:50

None of this has been announced. For now, you can see one person from another household at a distance of 2m. That's all. No bubbles.

Realitea Wed 27-May-20 16:11:16

There’s been no announcement about this!

rosie1959 Wed 27-May-20 16:15:23

I would wait for a official announcement not speculation by media

Rainbow12e Wed 27-May-20 17:59:59

I know. Just panicking that it could cause a lot of problems for us.

majesticallyawkward Wed 27-May-20 18:18:14

I doubt this will be announced because, like the OP, everyone will have a reason they need to see more than 2 households.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 27-May-20 18:19:19

The bubbles idea is a non starter, no point worrying about it

Even people with small families and social groups will quickly get in a knot and it's impossible to police.

If it's not on gov.uk it's just pointless speculation and not worthy of brainspace.

peekaboob Thu 28-May-20 00:24:51

These are the current proposals on the .gov website. I have a similar dilemma. My mum and dad are separated and I need to pick one as they've both asked!
DPs parents are acting like lockdown never happened so it's an easy choice not to include them.

TurtleTortoise Thu 28-May-20 02:51:48

These proposals are awful. How is it helping the most isolated if everyone can pick a household? Originally the proposal was something like letting people who live alone join a household, which was much more targetted.

TurtleTortoise Thu 28-May-20 03:04:34

I mean, if people living alone could join a household, they're covered, they get to choose (to some extent). But if any two households can meet people who live alone might be left out.

geojojo Thu 28-May-20 03:26:49

I've also heard that they are not going with the bubbles idea. Honestly I would wait until something is announced before you worry about the specifics, I bet there are loads of people in similar circumstances to you. Just continue to see just one person from a 2m distance in a public place.

Pixxie7 Thu 28-May-20 03:39:47

My local paper announced this but only one family and can’t be charged the following week. Also only in the garden whole thing is a nightmare.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 28-May-20 06:23:44

There isn't really a proposal. They've asked SAGE to consider whether it's safe to 'allow people to expand their household group to include one other household group', but it's not really a practical change for many people. You'd have to find another household who doesn't want to bubble with anyone else to pair with.

For example, my DM is a widow who lives alone. She could have 'bubble' contact with me, but that then excludes DSis and her family.

It would then also prevent me and DP from bubbling with MIL or DSis from joining up with me, or her adult DD who has her own house and family.

Likewise dniece if wanted to bubble with her DM/my DSis, that would mean she couldn't bubble with her DPs family.

TheAlphaandtheOmega Thu 28-May-20 07:17:18

Whatever they do it will be impossible to police so I guess this is one of the main reasons for test and trace because of mixing of different households, people may be within 2 metres for more than 15 mins.

upthewolves Thu 28-May-20 07:38:15

If this is actually the system they introduce, there will be no way of policing it and people will not comply. Where I live, friends are already seeing each other anyway. I was invited to a barbecue the other day (didn't go,).

With compliance already low, this is pointless. Honestly, I won't be complying.

tootyfruitypickle Thu 28-May-20 08:21:42

Not going to happen. I’m already doing small groups of 3/4 outside with social distancing. Idea of household bubbles is pointless no-one will do it. Most people i know are doing same as me.

tootyfruitypickle Thu 28-May-20 08:23:10

Basically I’m following Nicola, not Boris!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »