Talk

Advanced search

We can go on Holiday abroad from July 1st???

(118 Posts)
Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:09:58

DH says he has read this on a local paper this evening. I am trying to find things and it does say July but not neccessarily the 1st. We have a holiday booked to Spain on the 2nd and we really don't want to go!
Its our first in years and the kids are only 7 & 4. It won't be the holiday we wanted for them at all.
Has anyone else read this today?

OP’s posts: |
pinkrocker Tue 26-May-20 20:11:28

Yeah I've seen Jet2 mention something along the lines of they're restarting their summer programme from July

CodenameVillanelle Tue 26-May-20 20:12:22

You may have to quarantine when you come back though!!

Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:16:08

Codename they are scrapping that rule apparently.
I don't understand why I can go to Spain from July the 1st, sit on a plane with recycled air - but cannot get my hair cut???

Catsmother1 Tue 26-May-20 20:17:30

You should only go if the fco say you can. Travel abroad (non essential) is still banned for the uk. If you’re not allowed to go, claim on your travel insurance.

AnneKipanki Tue 26-May-20 20:17:53

Mallorcan hotels are open from July 1st .
I had a hotel booked in France for 30th June . They cancelled it last week.

You might have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you come home from Spain .

Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:23:29

Catsmother, they are saying that everything will be open by July 1st. That UK will lift restrictions and airlines will be running. We will almost definitley lose the hotel money if this is the case. We can reschedule the flights.

Celeriacacaca Tue 26-May-20 20:25:19

Pretty sure the quarantine rule won't last more then the three week initial period, if that long.

Itsjustmee Tue 26-May-20 20:26:01

Lots of travel insurance policy’s don’t cover you if the FCO advises you against travel

GreyGardens88 Tue 26-May-20 20:26:15

Will everything be open though when you get there? Bars/restaurants/attractions? If not will it really be worth it

Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:30:34

It looks like the british government haven't actually said this yet and the article is writing in a misleading way. I checked the FCO have not said anything yet.
Fingers crossed it stays as it is. I am not getting on a plane with COVID floating around! An no, I don't think many bars etc will be open.

BeingonFBdoesntmakeittrue Tue 26-May-20 20:40:03

Spain has said it will welcome tourists from July 1st with no need to quarantine on entry if that's what you mean.

Chillipeanuts Tue 26-May-20 20:41:23

Are you prepared to quarantine when you return home?

QueenofmyPrinces Tue 26-May-20 20:41:48

I feel very anxious about this.

We’ve got a holiday booked to Turkey in mid-July and I know if tourism is opened up again and we will be allowed to go, then I know my DH will want to go.

I on the other hand absolutely 100% would not want to go!

NoHardSell Tue 26-May-20 20:43:34

Why not go? Rather than lose the money, if you can't reschedule. It's probably a good time, before numbers in the community start to rise. Right now it's just in hospitals and care homes really

GreyGardens88 Tue 26-May-20 20:44:24

I have a holiday to Thailand at the end of September, with a stopover in Istanbul on the way out. I'm trying to not think about it until end of August, the airline has said we can move the dates to pretty much any date next year

HairyFloppins Tue 26-May-20 20:46:49

I have a holiday booked to the USA in August. I will be going if the FCO advised all is ok to travel.

Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:49:23

@NoHardSell - I don't want to get on a plane with people who could have it and I don't want my kids first holilday abroad to be restricted by social distancing and the fear of touching things that my husband is suffering.
He still insists we wash the shopping. He isn't going to leap from that to going to Spain in 4 weeks.
Plus, due to the pandemic, we didn't finish off the kids passports and so currently, they cannot fly.

2468whodoyouappreciate Tue 26-May-20 20:49:36

It does not matter if Spain or anywhetecelse is open for business if the FCO says don't travel.
My concern with travel at the moment is the restrictions put on my travel insurance.
Worth checking to see what changes your insurers have bade since the pandemic was declared.
I wouldn't want to go to be honest and I Love my travel. Spain might be open but I doubt it will be open on the day you imagined when you booked it.

2468whodoyouappreciate Tue 26-May-20 20:50:36

*in the way. Not on the day.

oohnicevase Tue 26-May-20 20:50:51

I have one booked for early July too and I don't want to go .. my son has special needs and if we got unwell when there it would be a bloody nightmare . I'd like my money back but I think I'll have to settle for changing the date ..

Teacher12345 Tue 26-May-20 20:52:23

Chillipeanuts - no, we are not prepared for Quarentine. We could probably both work from home but was hoping that the youngest could start attending nursery 2 days a week from July. All extra reasons for not wanting to go!

I just cannot see the government saying that thetres, gyms and hairdressers are still closed, but I can pass through an airport, get on a plane. mingle in spain in bars, pools and on beaches.

SussexBonfireViking Tue 26-May-20 20:54:40

I've got a trip to California and Vancouver booked for end of July, we have been saving for about 3 years now, i just want to cancel it (but not lose my money)

I booked in December, so will be covered under my travel insurance, but am worried that if they open the borders will lose that money

Devlesko Tue 26-May-20 20:57:31

I think you've less chance of catching it in Spain than the UK, they all locked down and in time.
We had a sniff at a partial lockdown far too late.
Anywhere is better than hear, surely.

Devlesko Tue 26-May-20 20:57:47

here grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in