Talk

Advanced search

AIBU In booking a test when asymptomatic?

(8 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-May-20 22:35:07

I'm a nurse and have a risk assessment not to work with Covid patients as I have MS. A patient at work that, I looked after unexpectedly tested positive. I was wearing basic PPE as he wasn't suspected. Work have completely brushed it under the carpet and will not refer me for testing unless unwell. I discovered that you can book a test yourself. So I have done Even though I'm completely well. AIBU to do this?

OP’s posts: |
Idododoidadada Sun 24-May-20 23:06:12

Hmm difficult. Test are for symptomatic people.
Are you actually going to feel reassured if it comes back negative given the incubation period or will you still be worried? I would still be worried tbh.
If you have a temp in 12 days time will you book a second test?
I totally get it, I have to see (hopefully) covid free patients wearing basic PPE (shielding DP) A colleague saw a patient who then 4 days later tested positive. He didn’t order a test & hasnt developed any symptoms.
How long were you with the infected patient? What about any colleagues?
Have you contacted OH? Presumably as an initial risk assessment was done they would be interested in this development.
Try not to worry-easier said than done I know, I hope the test results are negative and give you reassurance.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-May-20 23:25:54

I'm not to worried for myself. I'm
More concerned about patients I will
Come into contact with. It's children so social distancing is fairly impossible with some of them

Toddlerteaplease Sun 24-May-20 23:26:37

I will be completely reassured. It was 4 days ago I was exposed.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 25-May-20 10:03:46

It will reassure my mum who is really flapping about it!

raviolidreaming Mon 25-May-20 11:54:03

YANBU. In Scotland - not sure about rest of the UK - everyone over 70 is being tested on admission to hospital and then every 4 days. This is regardless of whether they're symptomatic or not. If those people can be tested to such an extent, you can justify having one for peace of mind.

iolaus Mon 25-May-20 12:43:41

If you had known he was +ve the PPE you would have worn would have been exactly the same, basic unless they were doing a AGP - in which case regardless of symptoms or not you'd wear full PPE

raviolidreaming Mon 25-May-20 13:05:50

If you had known he was +ve the PPE you would have worn would have been exactly the same

You can't possibly know this as it just isn't true for every clinical area. We have visors if positive; no visors if not. I know of NHS wards with no cases, and which haven't yet had cases, that still don't have masks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »