Talk

Advanced search

Are these people suicidal or something?

(80 Posts)
Musicforsmorks Fri 22-May-20 22:34:08

I’m fairly laid back about the new travel rules, but a bit stunned by this photo on bbc website.
I was aware people were getting out and about in the sunshine recently and wondered why so much fuss, until I saw this.

I wouldn’t risk this. Maybe they thin k it’s either all over or fake news.

Southend i think.

Bol87 Sat 23-May-20 00:12:48

They aren’t remotely suicidal because most young, healthy people under 70 won’t die of coronavirus. It’s more likely they’ll die in a car crash on the way to that beach.

But they could be murderers if you want to look at it that way. Catch it from a crowded beach & pass it to someone who is either vulnerable themselves or in turn come into contact with someone else who is. That’s why we all have to socially distance & the point of lockdown.

ZuzusPetaIs Sat 23-May-20 00:16:17

Agree with @Bol87 that most probably aren’t suicidal, but they’re sure as hell damned selfish.

0v9c99f9g9d939d9f9g9h8h Sat 23-May-20 00:18:24

Very self absorbed, short sighted decision. This will send us back into hard lockdown if numbers spike (and our numbers aren't low enough/her immunity high enough to hope otherwise).

Sparklfairy Sat 23-May-20 00:21:44

It's not about them dying from it. It's about if they pick it up and give it to someone else who does from it, be it a family member or a stranger in the supermarket.

People are fed up and it's bringing out their selfishness.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-May-20 00:23:24

That looks horrible pandemic or not.

highmarkingsnowbile Sat 23-May-20 00:23:33

They have a far greater likelihood of dying in a RTC on the way over there or back.

Sadie789 Sat 23-May-20 00:27:21

Do you have a link to this photo? It’s always worth checking when the photo was actually taken...

janetmendoza Sat 23-May-20 00:31:16

Yes Southend and I had the misfortune to have to drive along the esplanade on the day that picture was taken as I was delivering essential food and medicine to vulnerable households, who are for the most part being accommodated in the guest houses on the front that cant be used as 'proper' guest houses at the moment. These self absorbed jaywalking twits as pictured were a thorough nuisance as the wandered in supersized groups to and from the beach, randomly trying to pick food out of my delivery crates, or moan that these 'fucking refugees' and 'scrotes' were getting free deliveries of food.

NameChangedToProtect1 Sat 23-May-20 00:32:13

Ok I wouldn't want to join them but each to their own!

MorrisZapp Sat 23-May-20 00:34:02

If suicidal people are heading to the coast to breathe near others outdoors then I think they might be disappointed. They will almost certainly remain alive.

Coffeeandteach Sat 23-May-20 00:51:02

The government thinks it's ok for me to sit in a classroom, with 15 children, without social distancing. If I get the urge to sit on the beach over the next few weeks, I'll be going! I know which one I'm more likely to catch covid at!

Daffodil101 Sat 23-May-20 00:56:02

😂Morriszapp

It’s amazed me how we have been drawn in by press photographs. Perspective is everything. Without an aerial shot, it’s impossible to know how each of these people is Positioned relative to each other.

I work with suicidal people. It’s pretty serious, especially at the moment. The vast majority aren’t in the beach, however the current hysteria isn’t helping them.

CalmYoBadSelf Sat 23-May-20 00:59:05

I live on the coast in the North West and this is our local coast road tonight, Rows of camper vans. How is this ok?

Daffodil101 Sat 23-May-20 01:00:22

Do they have self contained cooking and toilet facilities?

ChristmasCarcass Sat 23-May-20 01:09:43

If they are inside an enclosed campervan, and using their own toilet and kitchen, I’m not sure why it isn’t ok tbh.

The day trippers shitting in gardens because the toilets are locked are obviously disgusting and need heavy fines and/or prosecuting. But if you clear up after yourself and are sticking to 2m social distancing, I don’t see the issue.

Inkpaperstars Sat 23-May-20 01:20:44

That looks horrible pandemic or not.

Yes! I don't know about suicidal but they must certainly be bonkers if that is their idea of fun. I would rather sit in the car and read a book but that's me.

highmarkingsnowbile Sat 23-May-20 01:23:10

Campervan, self-contained toilet and cooking. Looks good to me. I'd happily live in one.

toinfinityandlockdown Sat 23-May-20 01:30:56

Hardly suicidal - OFNS was reporting it has something around an average 0.6% death rate but less if you're younger. I wonder how many have had it already - one research team was suggesting 25% of the country had had it and recovered.

Quartz2208 Sat 23-May-20 01:43:36

@Coffeeandteac without minimising being a teacher it’s here you are more likely to get it by far to be fair because you just can’t control this the numbers of people you meet can get highbquickly

Puppybum Sat 23-May-20 01:47:18

Hiding away for months on end in your house when you are young and fit, that's the suicidal bit.

LillianBland Sat 23-May-20 01:47:33

randomly trying to pick food out of my delivery crates

WTF? What did you say to the scumbags?

managedmis Sat 23-May-20 02:09:13

Ugh god all those randoms and their greasy sweaty bodies

No thanks

Pixxie7 Sat 23-May-20 02:38:00

Photo definitely Southend round the corner to me, it was the same at Easter.

Flaxmeadow Sat 23-May-20 02:44:06

If they are inside an enclosed campervan, and using their own toilet and kitchen, I’m not sure why it isn’t ok tbh.

Then it will be classed as a second home.

The new rules clearly state that you still cannot stay overnight in a second home, including camping etc

They should be heavily fined

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »