Talk

Advanced search

The cost of Face Masks

(36 Posts)
socialhermit Thu 21-May-20 19:05:45

The Range sell face masks. 25 Face Masks for £19.99 confused.

That seems rather extortionate to me!

Im not in a high risk group for covid19. But I definitely would consider wearing a mask in shops/public transport etc, to protect others (in case I'm carrying the virus asymptomaticly). But I'm on benefits, due to mental health, and there is no way I could afford to keep splashing out that much! I mean if you use the masks correctly, 25 will not last long.

I'm sure they must be making a massive profit on these?

If it's important that we wear masks then surely there must need to be some kind of regulation on the cost and supply of them?

OP’s posts: |
VicesReturning Thu 21-May-20 19:17:59

I saw some on sale today - £9 for ONE disposable face mask!!!!!!?????? Wtf!!!!

SpnBaby1967 Thu 21-May-20 19:19:43

I would imagine a small selection of washable face masks would be a better investment

EmpressLangClegInChair Thu 21-May-20 19:21:15

I would imagine a small selection of washable face masks would be a better investment.

Much better.

Thighmageddon Thu 21-May-20 19:26:38

We've bought cotton washable ones from Etsy for travelling on public transport.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 21-May-20 19:28:45

Even cheaper: DIY from old clothes

june2007 Thu 21-May-20 19:29:34

We made one out of scraps already had in the house. Instructions on line.

roses2 Thu 21-May-20 19:30:53

I've made some out of old t shirts - it's super easy and the kids even got ones with spider man on!

FlibbertyGiblets Thu 21-May-20 19:32:28

Box of 25 disposable paper ones going for 20 quid locally.

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Thu 21-May-20 19:36:30

I got a box of 10 off Amazon for about £3.

WhiteChocTwix Thu 21-May-20 19:39:29

I was going to say the price of the disposable ones are going down on Amazon. I've got some a pp linked to on my wish list and they're now £13 for a box of 50. I'm waiting until they come down a bit more as we still have some left atm.

totallyyesno Thu 21-May-20 19:41:38

I'm in Italy and I bought paper masks for about £1 each - which I agree is expensive seeing as you are only meant to wear once. I also made some cotton ones but they are too hot now!

RB68 Thu 21-May-20 19:42:33

We shouldn't be using medical grade masks - just cloth - they are not disposable ones. Wear for 3 to 4 hrs and wash - hand wash with detergent is enough

Northernsoullover Thu 21-May-20 19:46:45

I know we are told not to wear medical grade masks but does buying 3 off ebay really take away from frontline health services? I've heard of UK companies having their masks refused by UK procurement. Surely buying medical grade from these companies won't deprive the NHS?

MasterBruceBalloon Thu 21-May-20 19:50:06

I work for a private healthcare clinic. When we are able to next see patients we need to have masks and provide them to patients. We have to buy them and yes they are expensive. It cost us £69 for a box of 50 the other week.

ChardonnaysPetDragon Thu 21-May-20 19:50:40

My mother made fabric ones, she used some old or vintage, as she calls it Liberty cotton.

I keep telling her she ought to be selling them.

socialhermit Thu 21-May-20 20:26:28

I'm happy to make some myself out of cloth. There were quite a few people in Sainsbury's today just using a scarf over their mouth. I'm happy to do that too.

Is that as good as the blue disposable ear loop ones I saw in The Range? The ones that 'look' medical. Rationally I can't see any difference in using a scarf or the blue ear loop disposable ones. Is it just the way they are marketed that makes me feel there is a difference?

lifestooshort123 Thu 21-May-20 20:53:12

I use a cotton bandana folded over with a piece of kitchen roll inside, then hair scrunchies to go round ears. Google it on YouTube. Bought 4 bandanas at £1.50 each and drop in the wash after every use (take out kitchen roll!) - very comfy, no sewing, no cutting.

Qasd Thu 21-May-20 21:13:09

I have ordered a cloth mask for £5 which I was fine with as obviously it’s reusable but depends on the extent to which it protects anyone!

socialhermit Thu 21-May-20 21:13:07

Okay great. I have a drawer full scarfs....not woolly winter ones! Just the light cotton ones we used to wear round our necks because it was fashionable! I will put them to use as a mouth cover now 😊

oralengineer Thu 21-May-20 21:32:39

The masks on eBay and Amazon are not medical grade. I have just ordered medical grade through a medical supplier. They are only selling to accounts with GDC or GMC registration. They are coming down in price having skyrocketed but it’s all about supply and demand. We have been very lucky to have had FFP3 masks donated to us by a local firm. They will probably last a month or so when we return to work. Hopefully our normal supply route will have built up stocks as the need in ICUs falls.

socialhermit Thu 21-May-20 21:52:45

So is it actually worth wearing a home made mask?

Will it make any difference?

And should I do it anyway just to show the shop workers that I care and want to protect them?

socialhermit Thu 21-May-20 21:56:07

I haven't been wearing a mask. And the shop workers are so happy and smiley. Is it that their managers tell them they must be nice to all customers....mask or not?! Or don't they mind? How is anyone supposed to work out what to do confused?!

Bluebird1234 Thu 21-May-20 21:58:30

Boots are selling 50 for £30 online - a little more reasonable

JustHendersOG Fri 22-May-20 10:46:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »