Talk

Advanced search

If you knew you’d survive would you willingly get corona to get it over with...

(168 Posts)
ACautionaryTale Thu 21-May-20 17:34:04

Just curious.

DH had it back in March and now I have it. We’re lucky we both had it mild.

However he said something today along the lines of - I think you’ve been wanting to get it.

Made me think. I’m 44 and obese but otherwise healthy. Even given the obesity, still almost certain to survive and not get seriously ill. However I was not lining up to catch it.

Having had it though, I can’t say I’m crying buckets over it. Especially since the evidence is that there is immunity from it (I know the doom mongers like to think otherwise). I suspect by the time the immunity wears off there will be a vaccine.

So I can’t say I’m upset at having got it out of the way.

AvoidingRealHumans Thu 21-May-20 17:34:59

Yes

mummymeister Thu 21-May-20 17:37:11

If I could be 100% guaranteed that it wouldnt kill me and it wouldnt leave me with permenant lung or internal organ damage then yes of course I would want to have it.

but thats the thing isnt it. any disease can kill you. anything. there is no 100% safe illness. so to be honest I dont really want to think about it. even with the jab people will still get it and still die because they do. I am glad you have had it and you are well. I fit into 4 of the risk categories. I dont think I would be so lucky so at the moment doing everything I can to avoid it.

Waxonwaxoff0 Thu 21-May-20 17:37:22

Yes.

Odds are I'd survive it anyway. I'm 29, no health issues, BMI a little bit too high but nowhere near obese.

I'm not desperate to get it but I've been fairly lax during lockdown.

BatShitCrazyy Thu 21-May-20 17:37:33

Yes definitely. I think I might have had it, before I could get tested, I would be disappointed if I didn't.

1forsorrow Thu 21-May-20 17:37:45

I'm late 60s so I suppose it is a risk but yes if I knew I'd survive then I would.

Flymetothetoon Thu 21-May-20 17:37:48

How on earth can you 'know' you would survive it?
Healthy younger people are dying from this bastard including a relative of mine who was neither old/obese or otherwise health compromised 😡

MayFayre Thu 21-May-20 17:38:17

Hell yes!

Best time to have it - wouldn’t be missing anything.

Bananasandorangesss Thu 21-May-20 17:44:23

I’ve had it so has my mum in her 70s and it’s such a relief! Not changing my behaviour or anything but feel mentally much better

ACautionaryTale Thu 21-May-20 17:48:35

Yeah - I’ll still follow the rules but I’m not gonna get stressed going to the supermarket

LaurieFairyCake Thu 21-May-20 17:48:51

It would relieve a lot of issues to have had it

I would be so much happier when Dh goes into school (currently only 3 times a week) if he'd had it as he is fit and healthy but with underlying asthma

Pipandmum Thu 21-May-20 17:50:11

No. I'll survive breaking my leg but still don't want to do it.

OrangeGinLemonFanta Thu 21-May-20 17:50:49

Dunno. I was pretty ill in late March with covid symptoms. Don't fancy going through that or worse any time soon.

Herpesfreesince03 Thu 21-May-20 17:52:27

@Flymetothetoon you wouldn’t, but the question was clearly hypothetical.
Op I wouldn’t going on the info we have right now. Research suggests you can get it more than once, so catching it wouldn’t necessarily ‘get it out the way’

iVampire Thu 21-May-20 17:56:11

Just survive? Or survive and have none of the lasting complications?

I’m in the shielding group. If I knew I would not be in the 10% of people like me who die, and the unknown further number with lung and other organ damage, then maybe.

As long as I could also request getting it mildly enough not to require a tracheotomy (yes, I know it can be the best option, but for some reason the whole idea fills me with dread) and that decent rehab/convalescence available.

That’s a heck of a lot of additional conditions for something that we’re not even sure confers a decent level of lasting immunity!

3cats Thu 21-May-20 17:58:20

I don’t know whether having had it once means you definitely can’t get it again or not, so at the moment I’d say no way.

ACautionaryTale Thu 21-May-20 18:00:54

Research out of South Korea has no evidence of someone getting it again.

I drove up the motorway at 85 mph in a convertible with the roof down. I’m sure my chances of dying Or having severe injuries from that is much greater than my chance of dying from covid.

ACautionaryTale Thu 21-May-20 18:01:27

There is no reason to assume you can get it again in the short or medium term - more reason to believe you can’t based on other viruses

iamapixie Thu 21-May-20 18:01:28

Yes. Pretty sure loads of us in big cities, especially London, have had it anyway... It must have been doing the rounds massively before our fairly late lockdown. Now that the Govt has finally accepted that cough and fever are not the only, or even necessarily the most common symptoms, it will turn out that many people have had it and will probably be glad to have done so.

Emmagen Thu 21-May-20 18:02:10

No, I'm pregnant and feeling achy and generally crap anyway. It would probably go through the house and I can't face feeling worse than I already do and having to care for a poorly 3 year old. I always get illnesses before my husband so end up dealing with a perky child whilst still feeling awful because I'm technically the healthier parent.

Inkpaperstars Thu 21-May-20 18:08:57

Just based on certainty of survival, no.

I may have had it mildly, not sure as not antibody tested yet. Mainly just loss of smell for me.

I share a cautious optimism about short term or partial immunity but I am worridd about the long term effects.

A professor I hugely respect and have followed for years is, among others, concerned about the possible link with Parkinsons and Alzheimers down the line after loss of smell.

Madein1995 Thu 21-May-20 18:10:06

Yep, absolutely. Would mean I wouldnt need to worry again. Best to get these things out of the way, like chicken pox

3cats Thu 21-May-20 18:10:35

Can you link to the study results from South Korea?
From what I have read, there really isn’t strong evidence that catching coronavirus once will confer any kind of long term immunity.

CrazyCatMamma Thu 21-May-20 18:12:17

There is no evidence of immunity.

I have three doctor friends who’ve each had it twice

KickAssAngel Thu 21-May-20 18:13:49

In theory, yes, particularly if I also knew it gave immunity.

In practice, no, because you don't know for sure who will die. There are patterns, but not guarantees, for mortality.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »