Talk

Advanced search

Employee lives with someone who is shielding - any advice

(4 Posts)
Teddypops Tue 19-May-20 20:51:47

A new employee of mine lives with someone who is shielding. The role although is not working from home it is low risk.

I didn't know this when she was offered the role. When she told me I gave her the opportunity to turn the role down. She accepted it.

People need to work and I don't want to discriminate against her obviously.

Do I need I cover my arse with something?

OP’s posts: |
BBCONEANDTWO Tue 19-May-20 21:02:07

Just because the person she lives with is shielding doesn't mean she can't work. When she goes home she'll have to wash properly etc etc. There are people in the NHS who are key workers with people shielding at home.

Teddypops Tue 19-May-20 21:12:32

Exactly, I wouldn't stop her from working. But I need to make sure I have done everything I can to try and not get sued by her if she or the shielded person gets sick.

OP’s posts: |
QuaverQueen Tue 19-May-20 21:21:59

I’m an NHS nurse living with a shielded person. The guidance here
states that

Living with other people
The rest of your household do not need to start shielding themselves, but they should do what they can to support you in shielding and to carefully follow guidance on staying alert and safe (social distancing).

At home you should:

Minimise the time other people living with you spend in shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas, and keep shared spaces well ventilated.
Keep 2 metres (3 steps) away from people you live with and encourage them to sleep in a different bed where possible. If you can, use a separate bathroom from the rest of the household. Use separate towels from the other people in your house, both for drying yourself after bathing or showering and for hand-hygiene purposes.
If you share a toilet and bathroom with others, it’s important that they are cleaned every time after use (for example, wiping surfaces you have come into contact with). Consider drawing up a rota for bathing, with you using the facilities first.
If you share a kitchen with others, avoid using it while they’re present. If you can, take your meals back to your room to eat. If you have one, use a dishwasher to clean and dry used crockery and cutlery. If this is not possible, wash them using your usual washing-up liquid and water and dry them thoroughly. If you are using your own utensils, remember to use a separate tea towel for drying these.
Everyone in your household should regularly wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, avoid touching their face and clean frequently touched surfaces.
Encourage the rest of your family or household to follow the advice as far as they are able. There is no need for them to follow the shielding measures themselves.

I don’t expect my employer to ‘cover their arse’.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »