Talk

Advanced search

Previously sporty DC now wanting to do much at all - anyone else?

(5 Posts)
CodenameVillanelle Tue 19-May-20 21:50:01

Yep my sporty kid isn't doing much. Moans if I try to get him to cycle round the block. At least he's trampolining a fair bit but I am concerned that he'll be very out of condition when he starts again! I suppose they all will be.

Concerned7777 Tue 19-May-20 21:46:58

I thought my dc would be itching to get outdoors again but apparently it's no fun just 2 friends together, rather wait until they can play football in a big group again. I'm hoping once this Is allowed I wont see them for dust and they can spend their days running round in the fresh air. For now the only football action going on is fifa!

user68901 Tue 19-May-20 21:38:02

I have 2 teenage daughters ..... really hard work motivating them to do any sport/exercise/fresh air at the moment . I think lots of kids are just losing motivation.

Powerof4 Tue 19-May-20 21:03:03

Our sporty 4yo was like this 2 weeks ago. Climbing, playgrounds and gymnastics were her thing. Since we’ve been allowed out more, we’ve been taking her on long bike rides and insisting she comes out. Getting her activity levels back up has really helped her mood and she’s back to being her usual lively self. We’re building her a garden climbing frame too (all the affordable ones are sold out!). Is there a new activity your son might enjoy?

thetupperwareboxofdoom Tue 19-May-20 20:42:35

My DS is 8. He used to do a sporty activity 5-6 days a week, a mix of school based and external sports clubs. He's a really able footballer and was involved in a couple of different clubs, alongside a couple of other things.
He's always been a bit more screen-obsessed than his older brother, but that wasn't too much of an issue pre-lockdown as everyday he'd have a balance of school/ sports/ play dates and something screen-based.
We have a garden but it's pretty small. He can kick a ball around, and he does, but not for long.
If we go to the park to do it, he moans to go home after about 20mins.
We've tried other stuff, like Joe Wicks, Just Dance, going for bike rides, roller blading. He's not really interested.
His brother is doing much more, and is still keen to stay active without any parent badgering needed!

I know this is a horrid weird stressful time for everyone. I just want him to be happy, and I know that most of his sporty activities brought him joy because they were team sports that he played with friends. It's so sad that he can't do that. But I'm so worried about his levels of inactivity. And he's definitely eating more than he did before too.

Should I just chill the hell out? What have other people done?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in