This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Advice from mums with vulnerable children & going back to school(10 Posts)
The have been more deaths than that in children , user name with all the zs. This neglects to mention those under 5.
In addition, children have been in lockdown and schools have been closed so measuring anything now makes no sense.
OP, I'd keep her at home, at least for now. She'll get work provided.
I think it’s worth asking the doctor. I have a vulnerable child with a rare condition (TOF/OA) that makes him prone to respiratory infection and complications from them.
DH and I had to contact the GP as if he can’t go into childcare, one of us needs to be at home with him (both teachers) until grandparents are allowed to look after him. I had been considering childcare but his GP and surgeon were quite clear that he shouldn’t be mixing with other children at the moment and provided a letter.
Also, the school where I work is advising parents of vulnerable children to seek medical advice. This is part of our risk assessment to ensure we can keep children safe. There’s all sorts of children in the vulnerable category and the risk will be different for each of them.
@Zxyzoey31 I’m not worried about my child dying but I am worried about the effect the virus could have on him. He has in the past been hospitalised for common colds so I’m very keen to avoid this. It’s not just about deaths.
Thank you for your comment too @Windyatthebeach as a 'preemie' mum!😁 I've decided not to send her for the time being. I will reassess as time goes on. Although certain people I've told have had strong opinions about this and if you aren't doing it their way it's obviously the wrong way.🙄
Why are some people so judgmental, just accept everyone decides what's best for their family and that's that.
My prem 5 yo with asthma isn't going back. Spoke to head teacher today. Not a problem..
Thank you all...
And thank you for that link, it was very helpful, haven't found anything at all online when I've been researching it @fairgroundsnack and finally something that mentioned children with respiratory conditions.
If you’ve got one other off school anyway, I probably wouldn’t. It’s highly highly likely she’d be fine but without pressing reasons (work, childcare, child’s mental health) I probably wouldn’t at the moment.
Professor Spiegelhalter said on Radio 4 today that out of the 4 million children in this country aged between 5 and 14 there has been 1 death.
The median age of women who have died has been 87.
The RCPCH has lots of helpful guidance and summaries of the latest research in relation to covid in children - www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/covid-19-research-evidence-summaries
I wouldn't, she's very vulnerable, I would adopt a wait and see approach. I can't see Y3 going back until September so another 4 months to see how children really do react etc.
My daughters are 5 and 8, the five year old was born prematurely at 27 weeks and with a blood condition (her blood is thick and is at greater risk of clots) and chronic lung disease.
She is a healthy 5 year old but she has asthma and when she gets a cold it goes straight to her lungs.
I can't make the decision about whether to send her back to school when it reopens in June, I'm tossing and turning because most likely there won't be less of a risk to her when I send her sister back when year 3 opens.
Not sure what advice I am seeking, but I guess it's what would you do?🤷♀️
Please login first.