Talk

Advanced search

Ex not doing any schoolwork on his days - so annoying!

(3 Posts)
Notcool1984 Tue 19-May-20 18:50:46

Maybe I need some perspective, but this is really stressing me out. My children, age 7 and 10, are with their dad Monday - Wednesday and me Wednesday evening to Monday morning.

Like most kids they are set tasks from their teacher to be completed each day. These are usually maths and literacy plus optional science, languages, art and music. I don't worry about the creative stuff too much as they both enjoy drawing and making music.

But the literacy and maths feels quite important. If they complete the tasks it probably takes around 1-2 hours a day, maybe less, and my ex does NONE of it on his days. He prefers to lets them do art, music (but not school sent just on their own) and play on their computers etc. It's just starting to get to me a bit because I'm worried they are going to fall behind. My 10 year old already struggles with maths and my 7 year old isn't a very strong reader for her age.

When I ask him to do school work with them he says it stresses him out because they refuse and make a fuss. They lack discipline when they are with him as he wants to be cool dad all the time. He would never do homework etc with them either when they were with him before lockdown.

I've just had a bit of a rant at him and now he's angry with me.

I should add we both work from home, but he is self employed so usually works the days they are not with him.

Have I gone too far? Does none of this matter? I do work with them on my days but they are missing around 3/5ths of the stuff set.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
PammieDooveOrangeJoof Tue 19-May-20 18:57:03

Of course you haven’t gone too far. He’s just being lazy. Being a parent is doing all of these things too, not just playing with them or leaving them to do their own thing.

Notcool1984 Tue 19-May-20 19:17:23

That’s what I think: I don’t feel like the school work is optional and I always have to be the bad guy!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »