Talk

Advanced search

Air bridges

(5 Posts)
Flagsfiend Tue 19-May-20 17:16:31

Anyone read this story and go through the following thought process - 1. Thinks: air bridges to countries with low coronovirus rates, makes sense I guess, will help the tourism industry. 2. Wonders: Which countries would want an air bridge with us? 3. Reads: 'an air bridge between the UK and America might be one that would be valuable to us', don't they have the highest number of cases, is this some strange definition of low I haven't come across?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52723101

MrsSpenserGregson Tue 19-May-20 17:21:51

All the above.

And 4. How are you going to make sure that people that come through the air bridge haven't just come from somewhere that is outside the air bridge, but they've sneakily flown via London (or wherever) that is allowed ..?? (Answer: you're not, it's impossible. Well, not impossible, but way too costly to implement, I'd have thought).

I'm still confused about how European (EU) countries can propose air bridges with some countries but not others - the other day the EU were telling Britain that we couldn't selectively allow / ban travellers from other EU countries until after December 31st, as we are bound by EU laws of free movement until then ....

MrsSpenserGregson Tue 19-May-20 17:22:51

Ooh and 5. Would Scotland and England have an air bridge?!

Floatyboat Tue 19-May-20 18:13:49

I think part of the issue is that the type of people who fly lots are the type of people who get exposed a lot and pass it on a lot. The prevalence in the other countries is not the full story about why quarantine could be useful.

BritWifeinUSA Tue 19-May-20 18:34:38

The US has the highest number of cases when you look at raw numbers, but when you look at it in “cases per million population” it’s lower than most European countries. Remember our population is 5 times that of the UK. If we were on a par with the UK we would be close up 200,00 deaths right now. We are at 90,000 and that includes “assumed COVID-19 deaths”. Our death rates also include people on cruise ships that are in US waters , even though the people might never have set foot on US soil.

I’d like the idea of an air bridge so that I can visit my mum and she can come here but I imagine when the UK is thinking of an air bridge with “America” they are thinking of Orlando.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »